DX 8 telemetry

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
AHHHH it happened to me tonight! I am just analysing the microkopter data log. I was at about 40m taking sunset pictures when the fail safe kicked in for about 2 seconds then I got control again.. when my heart stopped trying to get out of my chest I brought her down and saw the AR8000 blinking confirming brown out, or loss of contact with the TX.

I am trying to find the evidence on the data log.. Ill post the screen shot when I find it... ekkkkk this is desaterous and now I am wondering if this is what happened when I crashed in the early days.. :mad:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Cant find the blip on the data log.. I am not sure what resolution the log is.. I mean how often it takes a snap shot and wether the brown out happened between snap shots.. Is any one else using the data logging on the nav board?

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Holgar.. nice platforms.. Thanks for sharing the info. I saw a post on another forum about it but was waiting for conformation from Spektrum UK but guess what.. No reply!!

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry Ellipz.. my mistake just got all frustrated about my DX8.. still nice frames.. And also again thanks for confirming the problems I saw on another site.

Dave

I spoke to someone from Spektrum and was told that there is no problem with the DX8 and the satelitte. He seemed to take some offense when I mentioned the above quote from Holgar. I tried to get confirmation, if it was safe to fly my hexa with the DX8. I was told it was safe and that the MK DX8 stuff was over blown. I have not personally noticed any problems with the DX8 and my Hexa. I also don't want to be a test dummy for spektrum so I'm still confused, frustrated, and weary of the whole deal. I just upgraded to the DSMX on the DX8. I have not tried to rebind with the Hexa again with the AR8000 and the satellite but when I power up the Hexa the DX8 says DSM2 in the corner not dsmx. I'm not sure if this will change to dsmx when I rebind or if when I rebind the satelitte will even work. I was told it will not be an issue either way so like I said I really don't know what to think. I'm just very weary of flying.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Thats the problem with forums.. cant live with um cant live with out um, especially when we are so few in respect to what we are doing. I have invested a small fortune in getting my AP together. I have had two issues with my Spektrum set up and my MK FC and ADX3. Now my bird is about £3k and I did do about £300 worth of damage when my DX8 crashed. I personally took the advice of Sandor at Digitech. The best known TX in Europe with the MK FC system is Graupner/Jeti. I bought a new Graupner / Jeti box and have flown all weekend on it approx 13 flights and am really happy with the system. I now know everything that is going on from number of satellites to amps drawn, to distance from home.. just EVERYTHING. I just wish I had listened to Sandor when I originally bought my ADX3 off him as he strongly recommended I went down the Graupner/jeti combo.

There are things with the set up I still need to learn but hey ho.. we all learn something new everyday.

Sorry RHP I know you have had issues getting your bird up and running. I dont want to influence any one, one way or another, this is just my general take on it. Forums can be good and bad sources of information, all we can do is read and interoperate others post for what they are, other peoples opinions.

Dave

I just wanted a straight answer from somebody on weather or not I'd loose TX/RX signal during a flight with my current configuration. I was told by a Spektrum person, don't want to mention name, that it is not an issue. I could tell there was def. something going on between Spektrum and MK(Holgar) but he did not elaborate and I did not ask. This also didn't give me the biggest vote of confidence. I can see my radio signal strength on the DX8 so that does give me some piece of mind. The rest of the info and parameters would be great to have but how do you look at all that and actually fly? I'm happy with the DX8 I just don't want something to happen that's not my fault. I guess if it does, I have the emails and PM's to prove Spektrums guy told me to go with it but that doesn't really help when everything is destroyed. Oh well, I'm gonna take it slow like I did when I 1st got the DX8, now because it's upgraded to dsmx. I'll let you know if I have issues.

Just a quick update: I bound everything back the way I had it, AR8000, satellite, & telemetry unit, this time in DSMX though. Everything worked as it should. Gonna take it slow and low for 1st couple flights but I do have faith in the DX8. I don't know maybe I'm just asking for trouble but I have a guy from spektrum telling me one thing for certain and Holgar saying something else may happen. I really don't know what to believe other than my own experiences and so far so good with the DX8. Keep you up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
The rest of the info and parameters would be great to have but how do you look at all that and actually fly?

Its right in front of you on the jeti box.. no mither to glance down to see, say the no of satellites or power left in batteries.

Its right in front of you on the jeti box.. no mither to glance down to see, say the no of satellites or power left in batteries.

The battery capacity would be nice. I still plan on putting the battery telemetry on my Hexa for the DX8 so this is an option for the DX8 as well. # of satellites would be sweet though along with the other info.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
My in experience probably has the better of me and my deep pocket has become very shallow over the last month. What eight channel reciver could I have used with the DX8 because as a TX I love it. I am sure my new Graupner has as many features, I just need to RTMF and find them!

brendonvz

DX8 / AR8000 power connections

I'm rather new to it all, we kinda old school new.... I hade no problems with the build thus far, but if there's anyone out there that can tell me how to connect my AR8000 receiver (DX8 transmitter) to the XR650 ? I just need to know where to connect the power as the receiver doesn’t have any power input ... back in the day my receivers had a power supply, and help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
brendonvz.. not sure you can. Ill stand corrected but you may be better posting it in the Xaircraft build thread Batman started

I use the DX8 telemetry after a voltage alarm gave me *seconds* of battery life, instead of minutes. My $2 alarm cost me $200 in repairs...

So now I fly with realtime data on the Tx, with my alarm set to 3.6v per cell. So much less stress, I wonder why I didn't do it before. I don't miss any audible or visual alerts, which is useful if you're down range. I've gone the whole hog now, and have all Telem options runnning:

- Flight pack volts & amps
- Rx volts
- Altitude
- rpm
- temperature

I use rpm and temp now, because the according to ecalc, my t-motor 3508-29's (380kv) will exceed maximum watts on 6S and 14" props at around 90%. So I set the rpm warning to 80% of the maximum listed by T-motor - I'm still overpowered (or underskilled! :shame:), because I've *never* tripped this alarm. The temperature monitor is wrapped around the base of one of the motors. It's not the most accurate way, but it's the only way. I take a wild guess than if I hit 60'c at the base, the actual motor temp will be nearer 90'c. Again, never really seen it more than 45'c, even after nearly constant 40 mins (only stopping to swap packs) of flight.