Dual Receiver Warning (Aurora 9 specific)... question

hazardpro

Hi all

Is anyone running two Aurora 9's on their set up? We have a pilot and camera operator, both on separate radio set ups.

The plan was for both to run Aurora 9 with 2 Optima 9's. However purely by change I had a look on Hitec's website and saw this:

Update Nov 2012:
Service Bulletin: Optima Series Receivers - Dual Receiver Warning
Due to the fact that the Optima series of receivers are actually transceivers, they are constantly communicating back and forth with the transmitter. In some dual receiver environments, Hitec has seen that the range of one or both of the receivers can be greatly affected. For this reason, it is strongly suggested that only a single receiver setup be used in any model, regardless of size. Hitec has tested our receivers with all the channels being used with high current draw digital type servos and dual batteries configurations utilizing 2 Y-harnesses. In this scenario the servo bus has been able to handle the current without any issues. If more than 9 servos are needed then it is suggested that a power distribution device be used, such as the kinds offered by Smart Fly or Power Box. For more information click http://www.hitecrcd.com/files/OptimaDualReceiverInfo.pdf

Now as I understand it, this is saying I cant run two separate set ups on the same 'vehicle'??? :dread: Or is it saying I cant run 2 Optima's 'together' eg both bound to one transmitter (is this even possible)

I have emailed this question to Hitec but I am still waiting for a response so thought I would ask here too.

Thanks in advance.

Doug

hazardpro

Just in case anyone else wants to know I got this back from Hitec:

"[FONT=&quot]Since the RX’s would not be linked to the same TX then it should be fine."[/FONT]

Bluerex

Hey Doug, thanks for chasing this down. I am looking at doing exactly the same thing and was worried about interference from the telemetry side of the "receivers". The original article was referring to using two receivers bound to the same Tx to spread servo load (on Giant size models) and to provide a level of redundancy, so it's not quite the same scenario as we are looking at.
I was going to experiment with using an optima 6 (without the telemetry options) for my gimbal and see if this affected the range on the primary Optima 9..... despite their assurances it might be worth the effort.

Charles.

hazardpro

Hey Charles

My set up required 2x8 channels so i'd have to use the Optima 9's, however please do let me know how you get on and visa-verse. Range isn't too much of a problem for me, its falling out the sky I'm worried about :)

Doug

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up chaps.. not sure why this has been posted in the DroidWorx Forum.

Do you mind if I move it to general discussions?

Dave

PondMedic

I use two Aurora's and Optima's on my hexa. It seems to me to say they can be used together on the same aircraft when linked to two separate transmitters. At least I hope that's the case. I've been flying both of mine concurrently on my hexa with no issues. BUT, I certainly don't want issues in the future from this dual setup, too.