"Drone" Radio Live....Launching Oct 28th!

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I've invited a guest for the next show and am waiting to hear back but I think what we'll do instead is do an extended explanation as to how Multi-Rotor Helicopters work and not bring in another special guest until we've got at least one solid broadcast in the can.

ProfEngr

I tbought the show went well for the first run; even though I had to watch it from the archive. I had always wondered how easy/diffucult it was for pilots to see/ID a MR on approach. I got to test my hands at the controls of a Syma on Monday. The building had a large HVAC so it was hard to maintain position, but I think I caught the bug. Hoping to get a 'toy' MR of my own this year to learn then step up to 250 or 450 FPV.

Fun4All

Just want to fly
Great live you tube show like all the guests and info. All wise best to stay informed. Some info on Canadian laws and with the MAAC would be nice to eh. Thanks for the hard work and time spent on getting the show up and running.

Bartman

thanks for the positive feedback, i appreciate it very much. a package just arrived and if i can get to the studio tonight I'm going to plan another episode for tomorrow night to further test the equipment. i probably won't have guests but will spend the hour reviewing a product i received, Real Flight Drone, a dedicated multi-rotor helicopter simulator package that enables flying and aerial media simulation. If all goes well we'll plan the next show for two weeks after and return to our planned format.

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen
I too noticed the fallouts during the AMA interviews. I'll be watching the live feed tonight, hopefully the "Technical Problems" are all ironed out. Looking forward to seeing what changes have been made to the "set"! Glad you're thinking about the fixed overhead cam, I noticed you were having problems trying to estimate where the camera was "looking". I agree, a "green" screen would be too much for now, maybe as a secondary wall for illustrative use but not as a primary. Not sure how well a large monitor behind you would work for interviews. I've thought about other web videos I've seen and I like seeing a workshop in the background. It gives the viewer the impression that you are involved in the hobby instead of just being a "talking head" newscaster. It depends on how you want to present yourself to the viewers.

Good luck tonight!

Bartman

I present myself to viewers everyday here at the site! lol

the red backdrop is still there as is the lack of an overhead camera. if we get past this week without problems then we start adding. so far for tonight's show we've added two dedicated Skype/multimedia laptops and we've tweaked our feed settings.

guests are all lined up, should be interesting.

I've got another corner of the studio where I'm going to do a shop style set up and the counter I built is on wheels so it can all be moved around pretty easily, fwiw.

Bart

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen
Oh, you're no fun :)

Just doing my phart ;) (sic)

Just got done watching the show, some of the interviews were verging on being long winded but I stuck it out to the end. There were a few slow motion video artifacts during the show but nothing like what happened during the first show. I half expected Bart to start peeling off his t shirt at the end saying "this is for you, Vection"... I would have been roflmao! That curtain has got to go at some point, all it needed was a couple blow up dolls attached to it. :eek: Were they sitting somewhere off camera? :) When you do replace it eliminate the horizontal curtain divide, it's very distracting. When interviewing someone on the set the left camera (from Bart's point of view) seems to frame the shot better.

If you (Motopreserve) are going to be a regular on the show involve the viewer by looking at the camera more. I noticed Bart trying to encourage you to do that but you weren't catching on. That or you're somewhat camera shy yet, in which case... you're forgiven. I enjoyed your segment the best of the whole show. Hopefully that was just dangling your feet in the water for more in depth segments at a later date. When Bart mentioned some of his beater multirotors I'm going, Yea, let's see them! I'm sure some of the pilots in your area would love to have their creations on the table. Do a short segment during the broadcast by displaying them as inspiration for others. All in all a good show!

Bartman

thank you so much for the feedback, it's all good and will help make the show better. that horizontal seam in the curtains is what you do when you think you're getting four 12x14 curtain panels and you end up with four curtain panels that total 12x14, you make it work! i've got to get a little bit of advertising going to justify spending any more money on the studio but we're off to a good start and tonight's show definitely puts one in the win column for us.

at least now I can reference people to tonight's show and say here's what we're capable of and it's only going to keep getting better!

thanks to Scott and Bruce, they were cranking in the hours before the show to add a few last minute details that made things look and run better.

dazzab

Are the shows being archived for later viewing? I think they would be broadcast about 3am my time so I'm not expecting to catch too many of them in real time.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Definitely good comments all around.

I think for my part I felt less camera shy, and was avoiding having to crane my neck around which would have seemed like I was avoiding Bart altogether. I'm not that flexible! :). Seriously though, we will get the 2 shot better for sure.

The show went long, but I also think that's a testament to the quality interviews tonight. Great to have interesting people who are doing great things with this technology on the show.

@dazzab the shows are archived on the YouTube channel.

Keep the feedback coming folks.

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen
I did notice that the camera to Bart's left (the viewers right) seemed to frame the two of you much better and didn't force either of you to look awkward.

Bartman

I did notice that the camera to Bart's left (the viewers right) seemed to frame the two of you much better and didn't force either of you to look awkward.
Hi @Vection, thanks very much for the constructive criticism, I'll take all of that that I can get!
We actually moved the side camera to the opposite side of the set to get a more head on shot of our in-studio guests, if you take a look at Episode #4 you'll see the change. Let us know what you think, if I'm going do the best possible show I've got to listen to the people watching and take criticism well, like Max said last night it helps to get the best people possible around you if you want to succeed and I'm ready to listen to you guys out there!

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen
Due to faulty memory I didn't get to live view the latest episode but did watch it later. Looks like the new camera position is working much better. Good interviews, technical glitch aside. Even the local news casters can get things thoroughly screwed up, dialog doesn't match the picture/video being shown so don't feel bad. Another observation this time about the lighting, you'd get one hell of a shine off of a bald pate. A low tech solution might be to hang a white bed sheet in front of the lights, it's what I did when photographing some of my sister's enameled art work. For the most part it eliminated the worst of the glare. Same old gripe about your curtain but I understand why it's still there. Decades ago my parents put down carpeting in their bedroom that looked for all the world like a cat had barfed all over it. It's still there... and it still looks hideous.

Oh yea, if that multirotor on the table is a micro how would you classify the Estes Proto X?

Bartman

the heli on the table isn't a micro, did i say at some point it's a micro?

as soon as the show generates some sponsor interest we'll start with the first round of revisions and the curtains will be the first thing to go! lol

i've got backdrop envy when i look at Patrick Egan's brick wall background that he has. if I can find 4x8 sheets of fake brick that don't look too bad i might try to go in that direction. there have been a few ideas thrown around, we'll see where it goes when the time comes.

Vection

There's a fly in my Zen

I know I was surprised when you said that. I'm looking at that thing and going "say what?" You might have said mini but I don't want to go back through the video to find it again.:rolleyes: (maybe later...) It seems a little large to even fit in the mini category. I'm assuming that what you have on the table would be considered midsize. You have to make serious money to afford something like that, waaaay out of my league. And that kinda brings me around to who the program is trying to appeal to, the Pros or the Hobbyist? Although I can't deny the appeal of having a hanger queen on the set either...:cool:

Bartman

I know I was surprised when you said that. I'm looking at that thing and going "say what?" You might have said mini but I don't want to go back through the video to find it again.:rolleyes: (maybe later...) It seems a little large to even fit in the mini category. I'm assuming that what you have on the table would be considered midsize. You have to make serious money to afford something like that, waaaay out of my league. And that kinda brings me around to who the program is trying to appeal to, the Pros or the Hobbyist? Although I can't deny the appeal of having a hanger queen on the set either...:cool:

wait, wait, wait, wait.........there's an l.o.l to be had here!

the flight control system is Mikrokopter! you must have misunderstood what I said to be micro-kopter

that's probably it, right?

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com

as soon as the show generates some sponsor interest we'll start with the first round of revisions and the curtains will be the first thing to go! lol

i've got backdrop envy when i look at Patrick Egan's brick wall background that he has. if I can find 4x8 sheets of fake brick that don't look too bad i might try to go in that direction. there have been a few ideas thrown around, we'll see where it goes when the time comes.

Dude Green screen, and you can have an exotic background each week.

Bartman

we've discussed that but at the moment i don't have the time to try a green screen and then have it look less than perfect....it's one of the options we're going to try when we ditch the red. ;)