"Drone" found on White House lawn

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Wolf Blitzer broke into his coverage of a storm "if you go outside you're risking your life!" to mention the drone crash. Of course he made sure to ask guest if the drone could be used to carry "plastic explosive or anthrax."

This kid was an idiot, but.... Thank you Wolf for jumping right over reasonable and diving into the deep end and stirring paranoia....

Gary Seven

Rocketman
Wolf Blitzer broke into his coverage of a storm "if you go outside you're risking your life!" to mention the drone crash. Of course he made sure to ask guest if the drone could be used to carry "plastic explosive or anthrax."

This kid was an idiot, but.... Thank you Wolf for jumping right over reasonable and diving into the deep end and stirring paranoia....
We can expect nothing less from the crew and staff over at CNN ( they're quite the laughing stock nowadays).

Only "crew" worse is the clown car known as Fox and Friends. It's all so pathetic.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I've never used the "like" button s many times as I have on this thread! Of course it was a phantom!

Bart, hope you are making it through this nasty storm ok. Best of luck to you and the other North Eastern USA-icans

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Just good to know that any wingnut who hadn't already thought about the "sinister" uses for drones has now been laid a roadmap by our good friend Wolf :)

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Bart, hope you are making it through this nasty storm ok. Best of luck to you and the other North Eastern USA-icans

us new jersey-icans are getting off easy, only 8 to 12 inches when we thought we were going to be getting as much as 33"! it's those boston-icans that are getting hammered.

thanks for the sentiment though. :)

SamaraMedia

Really, registration for a toy? Maybe I should be required to show picture id when I buy a lipo battery too.

Just to be safe, we should seal them in that big white house and only let the occupants out on sundays and an occasional holiday. Maybe a plexi bubble over the place just so we tax payers can still see the place…

In my state you can't purchase an ammo box to store your lipo's in unless you have a permit. Tried to buy one around Christmas time at Cabelas and was asked for my pistol permit, told them I don't have one (probably should get one!) and was going to use it to store batteries, clerk kindly informed me that he couldn't sell it to me without the permit.

SamaraMedia

No problem Bart, looks like you'll be eating a Phantom ;)

@jwoike i deleted your thread this morning as we posted almost simultaneously and i was trying to feature it on our home page. sorry about that.

From the Associated Press
Drone crash at White House complex prompts lockdown; DC man takes responsibility
JOSH LEDERMAN and JOAN LOWY, Associated Press

WASHINGTON — A small drone flying low to the ground crashed onto the White House grounds before dawn Monday, triggering a major emergency response and raising fresh questions about security at the presidential mansion. A man later came forward to say he was responsible and didn't mean to fly it over the complex.

The man contact with the Secret Service after reports of the crash spread in the media, a U.S. official said. The man told the agency that he had been flying the drone recreationally. The man is a Washington resident and is cooperating with investigators.

Secret Service agents are now interviewing other people to corroborate the man's story, and they don't currently have any reason to doubt the man's story, the official said.

The official wasn't authorized to discuss the ongoing investigation publicly and spoke only on condition of anonymity

Although President Barack Obama was not at home, the security breach prompted a lockdown of the entire complex until officials could examine the drone. The White House later said it did not pose a threat.

The drone crashed on the southeast side of the White House grounds just after 3 a.m., Secret Service spokesman Brian Leary said.

The device was described as a two-foot-long quadcopter — a commercially available unmanned aircraft that is lifted by four propellers. Many small quadcopters are essentially sophisticated toys that can also be useful for commercial operations like aerial photography and inspections. Often weighing only a few pounds, they sell for as little as a few hundred dollars or less, and were popular Christmas gifts last year.

The president and first lady Michelle Obama were traveling in India, but their daughters, Sasha and Malia, may have been at home. White House officials declined to comment on the daughters' whereabouts Monday, but ahead of the president's trip aides had said the daughters would remain in Washington so as not to miss school.

"The early indications are that it do! es not p ose any sort of ongoing threat to anybody at the White House," said presidential spokesman Josh Earnest.

Still, the incident was likely to reinvigorate a long-running public debate about the use of commercial drones in U.S. skies — as well as White House security. The Secret Service is still recovering after a string of breaches that raised questions about whether the president is adequately protected.

House Oversight Committee Chairman Jason Chaffetz, R-Utah, a chief critic of Secret Service leadership, said the agency has been working for some time to figure out how to deal with the threat posed by unmanned aircraft. He said a wake-up call came in 2013 when a camera drone crashed in front of German Chancellor Angela Merkel at a campaign event in Germany.

"Any time you can breach the White House perimeter, it's deeply concerning," Chaffetz said in an interview Monday. "You don't know if it's some guy in a van down by the river controlling the drone or somebody who has some very nefarious intentions."

Although remote-controlled airplanes and related toys have been available for decades, White House aides could not recall any similar incidents having occurred in the past. The incident comes just as policymakers are, for the first time, grappling seriously with how to integrate unmanned aircraft into the nation's skies.

The recent proliferation of inexpensive drones has prompted growing fears about potential collisions with traditional aircraft. Technological advances have also made it easier to equip drones with advanced capabilities such as cameras, raising privacy issues as well as concerns that such devices could carry weapons.

Industry experts said that to carry and fire a weapon, a drone would need more engines and more propellers than most commercially-manufactured quadcopters.

At the urging of the drone industry, the Obama administration is on the verge of proposing rules to permit commercial flights by small drones, but no date has yet been set for relea! se of th e proposal. Currently, the Federal Aviation Administration bans commercial drone flights — with some exceptions — and hobbyists are barred from flying drones above 400 feet in altitude or within 5 miles of an airport.

Airspace around the White House is heavily restricted to protect the president and other sensitive sites in the vicinity. Yet Monday's crash wasn't the first time police have responded to reports of drones in the area. Last August, District of Columbia police reported the arrest of a person who got stuck in a tree while trying to retrieve a small drone lodged in the branches. And in July, U.S. Park Service police investigated reports of a small quadcopter in the vicinity of the Lincoln Memorial, according a compilation of recent incidents by the FAA.

The response from emergency officials to Monday's crash was swift and intense. Police, fire and other emergency vehicles swarmed the White House, and the entire perimeter was locked down for about two hours. After daylight, more than a dozen officers fanned out to search the lawn with flashlights, and there was a heavier-than-usual presence of Secret Service agents on the roof of the White House.

The agency recently has faced persistent questions about its effectiveness and ability to protect the president.

Four high-ranking executives were reassigned this month, and former Director Julia Pierson was forced to resign last year after a Texas man armed with a knife was able to get over a White House fence and run into the executive mansion before being subdued.

Last edited by a moderator:

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
This will most likely be used as the Secret Services "comeback" from their recent debacles.

Can't wait to see the headlines when the Secret Service jump in and handle the drone problem. :)

In lighter news: seems Vermont is the only state NOT in a state of emergency from this snow storm. How ironic....

Y0urDaddy

From what I saw on the news tonight it was a Phantom.

Kind of sad to see this. I just worry that a small group of people may give the larger group a bad image.

haha49

In my state you can't purchase an ammo box to store your lipo's in unless you have a permit. Tried to buy one around Christmas time at Cabelas and was asked for my pistol permit, told them I don't have one (probably should get one!) and was going to use it to store batteries, clerk kindly informed me that he couldn't sell it to me without the permit.

In Canada they sell them to anyone... It's just a fancy box.... I walk in show license walk out with a rifle or shotgun it's as simple as that. Same with ammo. Restricted firearms you got to wait for the transfer that can be 2 weeks or 15 minutes depends on how many they're doing and how backed up they become. Kind of silly the you need a pistol license to buy an ammo box I mean come on... It's a box...

At the end of the day people worry way to much about everything the sky is falling run for the hills. Don't do this don't do that it's illegal ect. Really it's just people telling someone else what they can and can't do. The worse is when people jump in and go that person so and so is an idiot and is ruining it for everyone. They might be stupid they might of done something dumb but nothing worse then someone else coming along in the same hobby going it's going to get it banned. People do stupid things with everything you name it someone has done something really stupid with it. Cars speeding, drinking, on cellphones, many people killed. 1 multicopter crashs on the white house lawn and people think the RC sky is falling.

Last edited by a moderator:

eskil23

Wikipedia Photographer
Kind of ridiculous when you can buy a .50 cal ammo box on eBay for $6

tstrike

pendejo grande

That's ridiculous and proves the point some (me included) are trying to make that once government gets involved it doesn't stop until it wrings every dime it can from the governed.
It's really kind of fascinating just a couple of years ago if I was out flying people would stop and marvel at the little flying machine and
remark how cool it was. Today you get weird stares and a general feeling of creepiness.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Seems to me that the change from fascination to creepiness about our hobby/industry has been sparked more by the irresponsible pilots than the government. While the FAA has been dragging their feet the bonehead pilots have been busy flying too close to the White House, outside doctors offices and crashing into apartment buildings.

It doesn't help that most media outlets are ill informed and love broadcasting a bunch of BS.

But not until last night have I heard any official mention Homeland Security getting onboard to limit use of "drones" after the White House debacle.

tstrike

pendejo grande
But not until last night have I heard any official mention Homeland Security getting onboard to limit use of "drones" after the White House debacle.

It would not be the first time this admin has used dubious means to try and shove an agenda down the publics throat. I don't think it's about the government not wanting drones out in the public, they just want to make sure the drones are in hands with allegiance to them-meaning those who pay get to play.

Use a drone to fly over a pig farm and count the pigs to help a farmer assess his feedlot for money and you're innovative. Use the same drone flying over the same pig farm to show the over crowded conditions of the feedlot for free and you've invaded privacy.
Fly a drone over a crowd of protesters to show the turnout and you're endangering the public. Put a badge on your shirt and fly the same drone over the same crowd and your now doing a public service monitoring an extremist crowd.

more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government
more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government more government

never fixes anything

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
While I hear what you're saying - wanting some type of regulation or restriction on some putz flying a drone into the White House airspace (to say nothing of not being in control enough NOT to crash it) is not exactly government over-reach.

Whether the regs and restrictions are implemented in a reasonable fashion is debatable, and I can understand your skepticism.

IMHO, the industry has not done a good enough job in their PR of what benefits the technology can safely provide. Therefore the irresponsible idiots who dominate YouTube have the loudest voice, and are creating an increasingly skeptical public, as well as the government agencies.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
we should all expect the first stab at regulations to be more conservative, rather than less, than we'd like. from there our goals as a community should be to spread awareness wherever possible and to operate as safely as possible so that we can have data supporting our requests when the time comes to request and suggest amendments to those regulations. the FAA won't listen to anything we say without us being organized behind some responsible entity and without data to back up our requests, as we've seen so far.

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
Just a simple comment/ observation......
I watch as many call for the FAA or other BIG BROTHER agencies to regulate the knucklehead multicopter pilot that is doing something really stupid or dangerous.......This is just never going to happen... they do not have law enforcement training, budgets or manpower.
Not being a lawyer, but just taking a guess.... I bet there are 100 existing Federal, State & Local laws or ordinances that law enforcement agencies could charge the knucklehead with... disorderly conduct, trespassing, criminal damaging, criminal mischief, ....... but they have not been trained to apply the existing laws to this type of incident.
Instead of using the existing laws, most want to add more.....
I say lets just apply the laws we have.....
In my most recent conversations with the FAA, this is their current push..... educate local & State law enforcement and have them charge the offender under some type of civil disobedience/ disorderly conduct law. This is also true for the State & US park rangers....
This is where it is headed for the knuckleheaded idiot who is making life really difficult for those that wish to pursue a professional aerial sUAS business.
When they locate this White House "crasher", I am betting they will not even involve the FAA.... He will be charged with criminal charges via the Feds or Metro Washington DC Police. He/She will be looking at the world from behind bars..... I bet they even have the offender on video... there are cameras EVERYWHERE!!!!

cootertwo

Well, hummm, crashing at the white house, Phantom "flyaways" flying back to China........or should we say "China WEST" ha ha ha

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hexa: agree completely. And this has been my hope all along - that the laws in place would deal with perps the way they do for anyone using a car, gun, rolling pin etc in a reckless manner. Charge them and let the courts sort it out.

But sadly the number of incidents, and some of the severity of those incidents, has probably made reasonable expectations like this a thing of the past. Once the notoriety of the technology rose in nothing but negative light - the powers that be were sure to step in.

Also, apparently the guy turned himself in fairly quickly. So at least this guy took responsibility.