Droidworx SkyJib Lite Ti Coax Build

dazzab

Over the past few weeks I've been building one of the new Titanium series Droidworx birds. I'm taking a slightly different path in that I've set it up with the 3DR APM flight controller having a lot of experience with that system. I'm involved with the Canberra UAV group that was formed to develop a system for the UAV Outback Rescue Challenge last year which includes some amazing guys who are contributing to the development of open source flight systems.

So far things are going well although being among the first to receive the Titanium series from DW there were some delays in getting parts. I'm still waiting on the new sexy fibre carbon motor shields so you may notice that I have temporary plastic shields installed that DW supplied until the new one's arrive. I've had to leave the camera mount off for the time being as I just can't figure out how it should be mounted. Fortunately another DW owner is close by so he will be helping me out.

Today I'll be doing some tethered tests which should give me an idea if it's behaving well enough for a maiden flight in the very near future.

I've posted some build photos on Flickr if interested.

dazzab

Did my maiden flight and had serious issues. After lift off the copter swung back and forth like a pendulum. I managed to land it as I wasn't that high and there wasn't any damage. I did some adjustments to the stabilization rates in the APM software and gave it another go. It was still too unstable for flight so I just landed. I've posted the flight logs on DIYDrones and asked some developers for assistance. I suspect that this heavy of a bird is quite outside the default settings for the APM so hopefully it's just a case of tuning. But I am very concerned about it. I will be very disappointed if the APM isn't up to the task of flying Droidworx copters.

SMP

That's a bummer. Been following this with interest. Good luck, I'm sure you'll get it sorted!

dazzab

Some progress has been made on this build.
I suspect the problems I had with my maiden flight were caused by not calibrating the ESCs correctly. It also looks like I may have swapped two motor positions in the wiring although they were on the same arm so I don't think that would have made much difference.
I had some very helpful feedback from the lead developer of the Arducopter software who suggested small changes in the values for the stabilisation settings. He also reviewed my flight logs and confirmed that he has flown a lot of heavy copters with the APM which performed well.
So, if the drizzling rain here breaks at any time today I'll do another test flight. Stay tuned...

dazzab

Another update -
Finally got this bird in the air. It doesn't seem to have the power I thought it would but more of an issue is that the flight is very unstable. I've had further discussions with developers on DIYDrones about tuning the APM 2.5 controller and it looks like I'm going to have the exciting challenge of doing some in air tuning. If that doesn't work, I'm not quite sure where I will go from there. I have my doubts that tuning will work but you never know. Stay tuned for the next exciting adventure of dazzab and his SkyJib...

dazzab

More news -
Yesterday I did a bit of in air tuning and got to the point of understanding what I was doing and seeing the results. But I had a hard landing that snapped the landing gear so now I'm grounded. I've had a chat with some other pilots and the APM developers and it looks like I'm going to have to build a rig that restrains the craft while we work out the correct parameters. You can see what I'm talking about in this video

Dave's Tuning Guide for the APM 2.5 Flight Controller

At this point I'm becoming a bit dismayed as I really want to get on with the goal of flying and then shooting some video. I'm confident that the APM is quite capable of flying the craft and I think it would be valuable to work out default config files so others don't have to go through this long process. But the developers are over committed to say the least and don't seem to be that interested in my goal of working this out. Combined with the huge amount of time this is taking, and now the cost/delays due to damage of the SkyJib, I may have to think a bit more about this. I'm more than willing to fly with commercial FCs but I just think it's a shame to allow them to monopolise the market and IMHO take advantage of their customers with outdated models of pricing such as locking up features.

I won't be able to do any more work on this for a month as I'll be travelling. That should give me plenty of time to review my strategy.

dazzab

Here's an unedited video of my first attempt to tune the SkyJib in a rig. It looks promising so I'll try and fly it again as soon as the weather clears up. The APM also has an auto tune function that I might try but that is done in air so you have to be tuned enough to at least fly.

I'm following a procedure from DIYDrones known as DaveC's Tuning Guide. It's all done in Acro (non-stabilized) mode.

Last edited by a moderator:

dazzab

I managed to get the SkyJib in the air yesterday and while it would hang in place ok it was very difficult to fly. I did some of the tuning suggestions I've been reading up on but they didn't seem to help that much. I only managed one out of three landings in a controlled manner. I think the APM is certainly capable of flying larger copters but it doesn't look like I'm going to figure it out any time soon. I'm going on holiday shortly and when I return I really need to make some progress towards completing a copter to use as a video platform. So I've just ordered the DJI Wookong FC for it. With a bit of luck I might actually have some video to share in six to twelve months. On with the adventure...

dazzab

Well, finally something positive to report. I managed to get the SkyJib to fly with the APM. Still needs some tuning but I have no doubt now that it will work just fine. I've had feedback now from about 4 other users of Droidworx using the APM which were very helpful.

Bluerex helped me out the other day and shot the following video for me of a maiden test flight. It ends in a crash but the Arducopter developers looked at the log and identified the main issue which is that the copter just ran out of juice before it lost control. I was running on one battery only and I think there may be some dodgy connectors involved as well. I think it was just starved of current and I mentioned to Bluerex it certainly took far too much throttle for hover.

Unfortunately I broke a prop and didn't have a spare so I'll have to wait a week before I can do any more work on this. I do have a set of carbon fibre props I could try but I think I'll just be patient and wait for my Xaors to arrive. Being patient isn't my best quality but I have three other smaller copters and gimbals to play with so I won't be idle.

I have a Wookong and Naza controller sitting in boxes here just waiting. With a bit of luck I'll be selling them soon. :)

Bluerex

In my defence at 1:09 I worried it was getting a bit close and my framing suffered....
All credit to Daz for getting the copter into the air and (mostly) flying smoothly :tennis:. The big difference between the two controllers I see is all the extra goodies (like telemetry and logging) that come for free with the APM (and of course being abel to ring one of the developers on a Saturday afternoon to ask "tweaking" questions ... in english)

C

dazzab

Last week I finally got my Droidworx SkyJib in the air and very stable. It was a real joy to watch it just sit wherever I put it and fly around with ease and precision. The hover throttle rate was way too high at 80% so some recalculation was required.

The outcome was to move up to either 6S batteries or from 14" to 15" props. I also thought it would be a good time to move from the APM 2.5 to an APM 2.6 with external compass. I already had a couple of 6S batteries but I decided to order 15" props as well to keep my options open.

Today I took it out with the 6S batteries, new APM 2.6 and my Sony camera on a brushless gimbal. I flew it without the camera first and it was a bit jumpy so I did a bit of in air tuning on it. I never did get it as rock solid as it flew the week before with the 5S batteries but it flew ok. So I went ahead and mounted the Sony and gimbal on to the Droidworx anti-vibration bracket for some tests. There was far too much vibration so it's back to the bench for more tuning.

The adventure continues...

View attachment 13094

Attachments

• IMG_3376.jpg
    IMG_3376.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 335

dazzab

Long overdue update:

Well, I finally turned the corner on all this and have things working quite well. Three things caused most of my issues:

1. There was no way this bird was going to fly the intended payload with 14" props and 5S batteries. I'm really surprised that the staff at Droidworx were ok with this selection. Although they did point out that there are a lot of variables and every build was different so they only make recommendations. But I would think that after selling thousands of copters they would pretty much be better informed than most people. Nonetheless e-Calc confirmed my choice wasn't that good and later on someone from Droidworx did recommend that I move up to larger props and 6S batteries. Easy to say but about another $1,000 out of my pocket. I also had to change the ESCs as there was conflicting info regarding if they could handle 6S voltage that I only discovered after one of them melted and shorted out in flight. The copter wasn't damaged but of course changing ESCs means virtually rebuilding the copter.

2. One of my big goals was to see if I could get an APM 2.5 flight controller to work with this copter. I'm quite involved in open source projects and know one of the Ardupilot programmers who I work with in a group that develops UAVs for search and rescue. I also want to be able to talk to those who develop the software so I know whats's going on. I had quite a few issues with the APM that I falsely put down to tuning issues. So that wasted a lot of time. The main issue was that in my comparison of how Bluerex's DJI based Droidworx copter flew I failed to realise that many people flying DJI flight controllers are flying in GPS modes whereas I was using the APM totally in manual modes given that the GPS modes in that FC are used primarily for autonomous flight which I didn't need for filming purposes. Indeed, at that point in time the APM software didn't even support take off and landing using GPS modes.

After long discussions with Ardupilot developers about using copters for video work the light globe came on and I started talking to them about how DJI works and why. They knew all that of course but I just don't think these things were the priority at the time. Anyway, it's a brilliant team of professional coders and they were already working on some things that turned out to be a game changer for me. The first thing that changed was that they added the functionality to take off and land in GPS modes. So this gave me a valid point to work from in comparing DJI and APM software from. I don't really advocate taking off in GPS modes but that seems to be what most DJI users are doing. Anyway, after adding this functionality to the APM I found that my SkyJib would perform damn close to what I was seeing with BlueRex's copter. Indeed, even with default settings and no PID tuning at all, the copter was flying beautifully even with my full frame Nikon loaded up. Needless to say I'm very happy about this.

3. The weather has been awful and slowed me down. For three weeks we have had high winds and I've only had a few one hour patches here and there to do any testing. So most of the time I just can't test as I tune the copter, add video TX and bring it all together.

So, in summary:

SkyJib very happy and flying just fine. After I get my gimbal balanced and practice a bit I'm hoping to have some actual video to finally share here. Be kind as I cut my teeth in this exciting area please. I've actually registered a business here in Australia and I'm currently studying to obtain certification from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority so I can do commercial aerial photography. That process will take another 6 to 9 months.

As for using the APM and Arducopter software for flight control? Well, I have an unopened DJI Wookong sitting here that will be up for sale shortly. I have no need for it. The APM and software has so many more features and I get to actually talk with the developers and contribute to the community. Having said this, I wouldn't recommend that people who might want to use it or switch to do so for another six months or so. Why? Well, the APM is based on an 8 bit board and the code quite simply doesn't fit any longer. The CPU is at max as well. The next generation hardware from 3DR is the PixHawk which will be shipping soon. It runs the same exact software but is 32 bit which will give the developers a lot more memory and power to implement all the cool new things coming soon, like auto tuning. So if you are flying a complex system like an octo set up for filming, at this point in time my recommendation is wait for the Pixhawk. If you are interested just have a look at the 3DR web site. It's quite impressive and at around $250 a lot cheaper than most flight controllers.

So there you have it. If the weather here ever calms down hopefully I will play much less with the copter side of things and concentrate much more on getting some quality video of this part of the world which is really stunning.

A huge Thank You to everyone who contributes here. All the info and feedback has been extremely valuable. I really appreciate the time people take to share and help out.