Dragonlink, antenna mounting???

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Hi folks,

can any of you with Dragonlink maybe take a few pics of how you've got your antennae mounted? thanks!

Bart

kloner

Aerial DP
just to comment, uhf 433 antennas are all the same. monopole, bipole, just matters what kinda range your looking for. one thing i learned a few times now is if you make an antenna make sure to get it covered right and get a cap on the top. if you fly in dust and static builds up the end of that antenna will discharge static to the rig and usually short it out.... you want it mounted so it can be los to you as much as like your video antennas.... they should all be seperated as far as possible and be pointing up or down not laying flat along carbon fiber plates or tube. Idealy and why fpv specific use g10 is for rf transparency, a disco with plastic arms has 100% killer signal and nothing really matters how anything is mounted, but boy, get that same gear on a skyjib and throw in cf props and here we go,,,, signal, yaw a little and no signal, yaw a little again and signal is back... pita

a foam wing is the ultimate, major seperation between systems and foam so no rf blockage,,,, even the rods inside a fpv wing are glass and not cf for the same reason,,,, so don't rely too much on the system being major long range using it in a cf frame if it is

i tried dl on a jr11x and had crazy ppm drift issues.... i'd setup a rig, go fly for a while, then one time i'd hit the wrong switch and my ppm would change the widths i guess to fake 11 channels in jr modulation, but that dragon link dam near tried to kill me. be careful. if you notice stuff crashing like i did, stop using it immediately, it's not you.... i had three models in the dirt in a few days till i realized it was hapening

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

hi steve,

the antenna that came with the EZUHF stuff was a straight stiff antenna, about eight inches long. i sold that stuff and now using Dragonlink and it's got about a ten inch lead out to two branches that i've seen put into a Y but i've also seen them mounted straight. i'm leaning towards putting them straight , horizontally, above and behind the helicopter. just looking for a few photos of mounting ideas.

using a Futaba 9CHP that I had from the airplane days....heard about JR issues with PPM compatibility so gave up on JR right at the beginning.

thanks,
bart

kloner

Aerial DP
the first being a monopole type (one rod) and the dl being a bipole (two rods, one - and one +) the bipole is suppose to get better range for when your tapping that 100 mile out and back record... the monopole is known to be enough for a multi. The bipole requires a lead to it, longer the better, the multirotor version he sells sucks for multis, how th ehell you suppose to route all that? works bitchen in a foam plane though.... So

If it was mine and i had an rssi meter, i'd work on getting or making an antenna. ebay has those connectors, called sma and not sma-r. from there you solder on a piece of wire and trim to an exact length..... take a look here for ideas, it is usually best to just make one, but again, make sure there is no way for bare copper at the end of the antenna can see light, needs a cap like your ezuhf one you had was....

http://www.fpvmanuals.com/category/manuals/equipment-manauls/antennas/

I'd just mount a single monopole to my dl and as long as your not going miles out, you just got way more than enough. DL uses extreme hopping so know there powerful to the point they can cause alot of rf interferrence, if you see weird stuff, it is making it weird

kloner

Aerial DP
to understand how they work, this is linear polarized, same with the one on the tx. When the two line up angle wise, you get maximum signal, when they are opposing like 0 degrees in hand, 90 degrees on the craft, your at the worst position they can be. that is the reason behind the diversity rx and the rabbit ear orienttion on the others. the moral being make it so no matter how the craft is out there you can see the antenna and if you get a disconnected feeling, you will want to move the tx around to get the rssi back, having an rssi gauge to watch that is super key to making long range systems reliable....

when the rx is diverse, i put one up when it is hovering and one up when it is underway, that way in either scenario i hold the antenna in my hand straight up and my signal gets better
20140208184216-b7cc3ae5-la.jpg

an osd like ezosd or a tbs core type have rssi, and link quality, it reminds you what your hands are doing and the importance to watch the angles. dragon osd has it too.... the zero is a bad packet history so if you got hit and didn't notice, it lets you know you made the no signal team....

all long range specific flight controllers and osd's have that number, it is that important to being succesful. dunno why none of the multi rotor based osd like dji, xaircraft, hoverfly don't have it..... lame

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

ok, thanks. i'm not sure but i think i have an extra from the EZ package which would be nice....i'll have to check it out. it's not for extreme distances, just up and over tree lines out of site (not in the US). the dipole is

thanks,
bart