Don't do it the hard way

min0nim

Ok, so we've all done stupid things - I'm sure it's not just me. Let's make this a list of all the things they don't tell you in the manuals - and probably really shouldn't have to.

I'll kick it off:

1. Don't hold open bottles of thread lock over your motors. (I missed, but it was too close).

2. Triple check the ****ing input voltages! (I didn't do this, and it sucks).

Quinton

Don't have your Failsafe switch on when starting motors on a DJI Flight controller.

Don't try charging your 10A lipos with your 3S charging leads (they do melt)

Make sure you solder your discharge leads with the correct polarity.

Never done this one myself but its pretty important to new people. .. (Never cut through both lipo wires at the same time)

Never keep parts you ordered incorrectly because they might come in handy at a later stage. (Hands up who has a very large box of parts you may need at some stage)

If your going to see what happens to your machine when your gains are too low, (out of interest) just make sure you have them on a transmitter pot so you can "quickly" turn them up again before you completely lose control.

kloner

Aerial DP
Never done this one myself but its pretty important to new people. .. (Never cut through both lipo wires at the same time)

now that'd wake somebody up..... I've hit live 110v romex i thought was off, really changes the shape of a cutter......

Never keep parts you ordered incorrectly because they might come in handy at a later stage. (Hands up who has a very large box of parts you may need at some stage)

thousands of dollars worth at this point, all crap

My best contribution would be never lock yourself into where your piloting from, use natural cover to protect yourself. anytime i go for a test flight at my house i get the dumpster strategicly placed between me and it.... Have had so many close calls and actual strikes that i tend to be very cautious in that respect. Another along the same line, never fly straight at yourself especially for long runs. I have seen almost all my failures after going out and upon arriving they either just quit responding to control input or would just lawn dart in......

i was standing on a porch where this thing went,,, got so lucky

Had a few clips like this and they all had me and my truck in frame. out of that whole friggin desert this thing tends to like dying upon arrivals.... can't tell you how many times i've ran for my truck to take cover in my life

Last edited by a moderator:

Old Man

Do not arm a Pixhawk if the transmitter switch was accidentally left in "return to land" mode. This was such a memorable experience I've only done it once. If you do you had better be very fast with your reaction times.

hjls3

Like this thread...good one - Kloner, every time i see that SRH footage, I cringe. My contribution...make sure your home point is somewhere you could land RTH style - I took off from underneath a ski lift, accidentally hit RTH - took it out of RTH with throttle buried, right above ski lift - (not operational at the time, thank goodness)...so I guess thats two - 1. make sure home point is clear for RTH landing and 2. if you disengage RTH make sure throttle is not 0%

JoeBob

Elevation via Flatulation
Don't start a 15 minute 'quick adjustment' unless you have 3 hours to get it done.

cootertwo

Here's a good one. Don't lean over the top of your multirotor while trying to hear the beeps from the ESC's when calibrating, WITH THE PROPS ON! (Don't ask):black_eyed:

vrso2

check rotation of motors and props in maiden fly and you BETTER not try to save your UAV when flipping over because of that ;)

Dont ask how do i know ;)

Ronan

Have your landing gear switch in the up position when turning your radio on and then your hex.

Yupp.

(Bought new gears for the retracts servo's)...