Does anybody have a TBS discovery Pro

sixshooterstang

Bird's Eyes Aerial Media
The gimbal design could be better. The latest upgrade helps but mine still gets weird bumps and roll drift even after tweaking to max P on roll.
Other than that it is great. Im running a different gimbal on it now and the onboard features are well worth it (cam switch, OSD, CORE, central PCB plates etc...)

JonD

Thanks,

I'm torn between the TBS and something like a sky hero spy/spyder, two/three very different machines

tom3holer

Jon,

I built and flew a discovery Pro for the past 6 months. It now sadly rests with the fishes in the ocean. I have a small aerial photography business and it was my go to machine. I am building up a Tarot 810 but need to replace he Discovery. A friend and pro AP guy suggested look at the Phantom 2 with the Zenmuse gimbal. I have had mine for over 2 weeks no and truly love it.

I t depends, as always, what your needs are. If its to do AP with a GoPro camera you can't beat it hands down. The Zenmuse gimbal looks like it was designed for Nasa It comes ready to fly. I added the required FP gear plus he IOSD and am very pleased with the operation. The props spin on so can be removed in a few seconds making this an even more portable multi. The price is half that of a Pro.

If you have any ore questions I'll be happy to help if I can.

Tom

JonD

Thanks for the replies.

After years of flying helis, I'm looking to get into multirotors, my goal it for a FPV set up. Being new to this I'm open to suggestions.

i have a lot of 6s 4000mah packs and a great charging station already plus my TX, so idealy I'd like to use those to keep costs down

Last edited by a moderator:

tom3holer

Well I would suggest you get the Phantom2Z The Discovery Pro takes a while to build, setting up the gimbal can be a pain in the rear, and it will cost you a lot more. After a while then you can think of building a bigger quad or hex and use your batteries. The FPV gear is fairly simple. A Vtx for 5.8 $40-70 a monitor or goggles $200-400, and I suggest you get the $70 IOSD mini to give you information as to your battery voltage, distance from takeoff, height and speed along with what direction to turn to get back home. There is a plethoria of help especially on RCgroups.com which has a very informative thread on the P2.

I have acouple of helis in the basemet. 5 years ago I learned about FPV, the helis have not seen the light of day since. I promise you once you do FPV you will realize how utterly boring all the other RC stuff has been.

Tom

kloner

Aerial DP
I personally wouldn't touch a phantom, especially for something like flying fpv. The parts are too small, underpowered, low QC, etc. but, if your new and learning, crashing a tbs can be quite the endeavor.

I'd skip past the phantom and leap towards the f450 with some sort of arm extension and a nice 400-500 kv motor to run them 4000 mah 6s packs on. You will end up with alot more rig, frame is $35 so a crash aint the end of the world.....not like $500 a frame

I started on a 450, quickly outgrew the uniform shape and needed stability underway, that is what the tbs shines at. The gimbal is great for the scale and what it does. Any gimbal will be tempermental to mechanical problems and those really need to be understood to get it working right... things like wires under tension, where that bearing is set, crashes... etc.

I've flown discoveries since they came to market, got in on teh first runs of that and the pros, we sell them turnkey ready to turn and burn but they aint cheap...

JonD

What's the TBS and the Discovery like in not so perfect flying conditions?

Also I guess the TBS and Discovery has no back up should a prop, motor or esc fail as where's the Spy Y6 or Spyder X8 has

kloner

Aerial DP
the tbs can be an x8,,, you just gotta look around...

my disco looks like this in gusty wind, 15-25

just to compare, this is my zephyr the same day,,, it is usually butter smooth

the big difference between what your talking about and a disco is a disco is rf transparrent, is all about clean rf at long range and will do 40-70mph for a couple miles stretches......

20140311094159-c5a943fd-la.jpg

kloner

Aerial DP
this is the video power, rc controll in the pcb, alexmos and the built in osd on this plate....

20140112082018-af68bd1d-la.jpg

20140112082112-6993fd6d-la.jpg

the osd that is built in and comes with them

JonD

Kloner, thanks. The TBS looks smooth in comparison the the zephyr. I get what your saying about the clean RF.

I do like the design of the TBS the electrics incorporated into the frames, make for a clean install by the looks of it. With standard arms can the TBS use lower KV motors so as a can use my 6s packs?

kloner

Aerial DP
it could if you can find something that makes it spin the same as around 1000kv on 4s,,,,, so 600kv? that sound right? 1/3 of 1000,,,, guess 666kv... hahaha devil. the stock arms pin you into 8-10" props.....

Our kits are $119, gets you enough arm to swing 15" props and can be ordered from tbs directly with the frame.....

If you wait another month, TBS has a combination power pack coming that is 6s, on 8000 mah will fly 52 minutes at 30mph...... if you got time, keep beating up what you got and wait for this. it is even low cost....

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
The arm extensions will be included in my next build.

My Disco Pro is still going strong in standard setup though.

JonD

If you wait another month, TBS has a combination power pack coming that is 6s, on 8000 mah will fly 52 minutes at 30mph...... if you got time, keep beating up what you got and wait for this. it is even low cost....

sounds interesting, you got any further info/pic's, links?

plingboot

I have both a P2/H3-2D and a disco Pro.

if I were buying again, I'd not have bothered with the P2.

If you follow the disco pro build instructions carefully and use the tbs recommended parts (900kv motors and tbs esc), you'll have a better rig and the support from tbs is actually superb. They want to have top end, top quality products and happy customers - all my dealings with TBS have been extremely positive.

Btw, my disco pro gimbal worked flawlessly on first power up.

kloner

Aerial DP
all that footage i posted was a brand new build, 2nd through 10th flight.... never looked at gimbal the past plugging it in and turning it on..... all built in

Spinning Magnet

All's Well That Ends Well
Just wanted to ask all, I didn't even know about TBS until reading this thread (as Im totally new to all of this), I feel the TBS will be a perfect fit for what my basic final intended use will be, so after reading through the TBS site, I feel the discovery will be ample, but if I set her up to simply have no FPV at all in the first instance so I can learn to fly it to the best of my ability first, then after when I have become more knowledgeable on the working of a multirotor & have a better understanding I will I add the FPV gear, but will the Dicovery still prefom okay without all FPV gear missing up front, will I just need to ensure my CG is within its range as I have ommitted the weight up front, I hope you guys understand what I'm trying to say here.

plingboot

I suppose you could do a build without the gimbal assembly and add weight up front to get the CofG correct or you could build a regular (non-pro) discovery first - which would be easier to balance and once you're confident, simply swap to disco pro frame plates, using the same components.

Worth downloading the disco pro build manual from the disco pro page on the tbs store, to see what's involved.

as mentioned before, I'd definitely go with TBS build spec for which ever you choose, and opt for the 900kv motors with 9" props.

id also go for the Naza v2, keeping the pmu, rather than a Naza lite.

if you go for a UHF set-up it's also wort h looking at ibcrazy's DIY dipole antenna projects on fpvlab too.

kloner

Aerial DP
yes you could but you'd be better served getting a dji 450 and crash that, then migrate your parts to a fresh disco frame when you kill one or are ready..... it's fully transferable,,,,, It wouldn't hurt to use the tbs parts like motors, esc's, batteries etc so as you upgrade it's all the good stuff.... the frames are semi fragille, you don't really want to crash one much....