DJI Zenmuse gimbal and S800 Spreading Wings preorder

rsun

It were only made for stills at this point..... needed it for a job... :)

I am hoping to get the Z15 for a video job before the 14 of june...

But just read that the first tracking numbers is getting out now on the z15....

One thing that I have not done yet, and could use some advice on, is this: In order to run two 6S 5000mAh batteries together I would obviously need to construct a parallel connector. I actually ordered one off the internet but when I received it I saw right away that the gauge of the wire is far too small for these big batteries. I would imagine that the gauge of the wire for this parallel connector has to be at least the size of the leads on the lipos themselves, which appears to be 10 (?). What is the best way to construct the parallel connector using this large gauge of wire and the XT-60 connectors? Would you solder a single 10 gauge lead out of the XT-60 and then solder that wire to the TWO leads that would go to the two XT-60's where the Lipos hook up? That would seem like the only way but I'm open to suggestions :0

Hey Pete,
Other's can chime in here but as I understand it, regarding your parallel harness, te cables coming out of your batteries are rated for it's maximum output, peak not just constant.

For example I have Hyperion 3S 5500mAh batteries that are rated at 35C constant. That's 35 x 5.5 for 192.5 amps at it's rated 11.1 volts or 2100 watts. That's HEAPS! but to do that I'd have to be flattening the battery from 100% to 0% in under 1 minute 45 seconds (1 hour divided by 35c). Remember that you shouldn't go under 20% for Lipos and that 1m45s is for discharging at a constant rate. The battery power cable is spec'd for peak loads which is often somewhat higher. Have you cut open a Mains powered plug and seen the wire gauge in that? Most of them here in Australia are 10 amps at 240 volts or 2400 watts. The gauge of those is smaller than my battery wires.

But the best way to determine how big the cable should be for your parallel harness is to just look at the power input on your S800. It's quite a bit smaller than your batteries I'm sure. As long as it is that size from the S800 to the batteries you'll be fine. Just check your plugs and cabling after your first flight with full payload and make sure they are not warm at all.

Cheers
Jesse

Oh and if you're using 2 batteries. All wire's to the battery side of the Y harness can be half the size as they're sharing the load.

Bella7821

My HK Turnigy 5,500 6s batteries came with 10awg wires. I made a parallel cable with 12awg and EC5 connectors. I was going to use XT60 but the EC's are really easy to solder and I suck at soldering.
XT60 is rated for 60amps which I don't think my S800 would ever pull.

jes1111

You really shouldn't be doing the calcs this way - it'll end in tears, as they say. Neither would I trust necessarily the mfg's choice of wiring size or connector ratings. All of these cable sizes are chronically under-rated for the current that the motors can pull at full throttle (if you check any "official" ratings table). We can "get away with" this because time spent at full throttle is relatively short and we have a "better than the spec" cooling situation (they expect the cable to be inside a closed conduit).

The sensible way to do the calculation is to know the power consumption of your motors at full throttle. Period. On the other hand, if the battery comes with a 10AWG cable, then you should be joining that to a harness that is also 10AWG until the point at which the harness splits to feed each arm/ESC/whatever - at which time you can reduce the size, conservatively.

The way I see this is:
A. Why obsess over motor performance, prop choices, weight saving carbon fibre, etc. and then nobble your craft by strangling the passage of electricity between the battery and the motors?
and
B. Under-sizing the wiring can lead to melt-down and a crash, possibly even a melty/flamey kind of crash :dejection: - over-sizing them will add a few grams of weight and maybe shave 15 seconds off your flight-time.

jes1111

My HK Turnigy 5,500 6s batteries came with 10awg wires. I made a parallel cable with 12awg and EC5 connectors. I was going to use XT60 but the EC's are really easy to solder and I suck at soldering.
XT60 is rated for 60amps which I don't think my S800 would ever pull.

The DJI website quotes 2100W maximum consumption at 6S (22.2V) - that's just under 95 Amps! Where were you thinking of putting these EC5 connectors and 12AWG wiring? ;-)

Bella7821

Ive only ran a few batteries through my S800 but I go by time to start with.
I can hover for 17 minutes and it equals 79.9% used with two HK Turnigy 5,000mah batteries.
I thnk I have my first protection at 3.7ea loaded and .6 loss.
My 2nd is 3.5ea loaded.
I haven't calculated yet what 80% equals to on the battery monitor yet

Maybe we in the UK do not receive stuff on 'tinternet' at the same level as others...I've just viewed their website and I cannot see anything that suggests that the GH2 is not being supported anymore, only the Nex 5-7 with a 16mm lens...or should I view another secret site somewhere known only to a few ?