DJI Zenmuse gimbal and S800 Spreading Wings preorder

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
hmm you are aware that the gimbal will also have its own case. So S800 in that small case the custom case for the z15 gimbal and one extra for lipo tc etc will do the job. About pulling back the case for none preorder customers would surprise me, if one of the things that makes the S800 a very handy product and actually makes the packaging easier for DJI.

Boris

UAVproducts

Formerly DJIUSA
I have a hard case suitcase I bought for $80. I can fit everything in it no problem for traveling with handles and wheels etc..

Tahoe Ed

Boris, I am flying with 2x6S 5000mAh lipos with no gimbal. My flying weight it 4.65k. My guess is that with a gimbal and camera you are close to 7.5-8k. I don't have either so I am just guesstimating.

Well you have the zenmuse with
Weight880g (Without UBEC, HDMI-AV module)

Than A nex5 for example with a pancake lens:

Weight (Approx.) : Approx. 8.1 oz (229g) (excl battery & media) Approx. 10.1 oz (287g) (w/battery & media)

Zippy 6s 8000 may Weight: 1220g (including wire, plug & case)

So with out the lens and with out additional 2000 mah weight etc. You are around 2387g. So 2.5kg probably possible.

Boris

Wouldn't it be nice if they designed the case so that these two 'landing gear halves' just dropped into the case? Nope, you have to continue to take things apart in order to make it all fit which I think was an oversight. If that aluminum case was just an inch or two deeper this could have been achieved.

that's one of the first things I thought of when I got mine yesterday and put it together.
I too think I'll try and sort out a bigger case that can accommodate everything without completely stripping it down.
Extras would include spare arm/motor/prop (when dji get the spare parts pricing sorted?)
Lipos, charger, gimbal, rc transmitter, video tx/rc and monitor. Might be a pretty big box but one of the big pelicans with wheels would be great.

DennyR

I was a little surprised to find that the S800 U/C stays don't fit correctly. For them to sit without causing a few stress raisers they need to attach at compound angles however they are drilled at 90 deg. I checked with dji and they are saying that a mod is coming. Ball joints would also do the job but in the meantime I would not recommend tightening those screws too much. View attachment 4468

Attachments

• Leg bracket.jpg
    Leg bracket.jpg
    26.5 KB · Views: 208
Last edited by a moderator:

nathasm

I've only used 3S and 4S batteries with XT60 connectors. What's the recommended way to connect a Nano-Tech 6S with 10AWG wires to the S800? Chop the bullet connectors off and solder an XT60? Or put bullet connectors on the S800?

dolby

Needs more bacon!
I just took off the bullets on the battery and soldered on the XT60 connector. They don't even get warm for me after 20min of hovering. I have yet to put my EzOSD on this copter to see what the amp draw is but other people say its really low with the higher voltage.

I load up the connector end with solder, then put some fresh solder on the wire and get a really solid connection, push as much of the wire into the connector as you can while its hot. About 20% of the wire doesn't fit in but thats fine as long as you get most. The 20% of the wire that doesn't fit should be soldered to the outside of the connector end.

I've never used XT60 connectors before this though so would like to hear from other people that have used them for awhile too.

Does anyone out there know the pitch of the S800 props ? Maybe I cannot see the wood for the trees but all the DJI material informs that they are 15" and mad3e4 of carbon....thats it. I unfortunately broke one and after 3 emails to DJI with no replies I decided to call them and they inform that it is going to be another 2 weeks at least before they even consider sending essesntial replacement parts to dealers and would not give me any indication of cost and of course I am unable to purchase direct only through the dealers who will in turn charge what they believe they can get away with. I emailed RCtimere enquiring about the quality of their 1565 carbon props and they inform that they are the same and as good as the DJI variety...anyone got any thoughts on ? or should I just bight the bullet and wait until the DJI dealers are able to supply ?

Tahoe Ed

They are warmer than with the previous version in my opinion. It appears that 5.06 is making the motors and escs work harder.

Tahoe Ed

David the manual says that the pitch is 4. I have heard that the props will be $70/pair. It may or may not be true.

Ed, thanks for that...where is it in the manual ? it is one of three here...my eyesight, my age and/or both. It doesn't appear to be entirely true then with the reply info from RCTimer.

Tahoe Ed

rsun does the AV 130 fit directly to the S800 frame? It looks like you did not have to do any mods to make it slip on the rails. Is that true?