Dji Wookong M Okto build with Av200/360 connection/power issues

Hey all,

I have a problem with a configuration I am looking to setup and wanting to know if anyone has any solutions or ideas for me ...

Build will be an mk octo, and I am wanting to use the Av200/360 camera gimbal with this. However it seems as though there are not enough power outputs from the wkm controller to power/control both 8 motors and the roll/tilt from the cam gimbal.

Is it true that I have to sacrifice the octo for the hexa in order to run the whole config. through the wkm, or is it possible to use separate stabilisers for the roll/tilt so that I can still use the octo config. ???

All help greatly appreciated

Matt

ovdt

You need to use Futaba Sbus if you want octo configuration + camera stabilization.

Or as you said, you need convert to Hexa if you're using other Rx/Tx system.

Gunter

Draganflyer X4
Hey all,

I have a problem with a configuration I am looking to setup and wanting to know if anyone has any solutions or ideas for me ...

Build will be an mk octo, and I am wanting to use the Av200/360 camera gimbal with this. However it seems as though there are not enough power outputs from the wkm controller to power/control both 8 motors and the roll/tilt from the cam gimbal.

Is it true that I have to sacrifice the octo for the hexa in order to run the whole config. through the wkm, or is it possible to use separate stabilisers for the roll/tilt so that I can still use the octo config. ???

All help greatly appreciated

Matt

That's exactly the reason I changed my octo build to a hexa build :(

Ok,

so then if I chose to go with the hexa how would it handle lifting a av200/360 pan cam gimbal with a canon 550d and maybe a canon 5dmk11 ? I don't want to have to sacrifice power and stability if I can help it. Octo is what I,d like to build but it has to be able to use the wkm and cam gimbal otherwise it looks like the futaba sbus (I,m still working out exactly how the sbus system works to understand how it will be octo and cam gimbal through the wkm ?).

Cheers

Matt

That's exactly the reason I changed my octo build to a hexa build :(

Hi OVDT,

So just to clarify then if I use a futaba rx and tx then I would be able to use the wkm in an octo setup with the av200/360 pan ?

Thanks

Matt

You need to use Futaba Sbus if you want octo configuration + camera stabilization.

Or as you said, you need convert to Hexa if you're using other Rx/Tx system.

Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

Hi OVDT,

So just to clarify then if I use a futaba rx and tx then I would be able to use the wkm in an octo setup with the av200/360 pan ?

Thanks

Matt

In the latest Wookong M manual, just check 10th page.

It says:

If you want to use gimbal with an Octo-rotor, you have to use S-Bus receiver, then you can use port T and R for gimbal control. Otherwise, there will be no ports on MC for gimbal.

http://www.dji-innovations.com/en/files/wookong-m/WooKong_M_User_Manual_en.pdf

DennyR

Why not just build a heavy lift quad, You are going to need the best efficiency possible if you want to lift a 5D. The calculations are simple enough. You can find that info on the MK site. What it all boils down to is the fact that the weight of two extra motors plus all of that which goes with it is not offset by greater efficiency. Check out the lift curve of a 14x4.7 at the required lift for each configuration. No matter how many times you do it, a quad always comes out best. Redundancy is not really a factor as you have less things to go wrong. And you need to buy less parts so you get the best of everything and then it wont go wrong. Even so, lifting a 5 D will end up as a model above 5 Kilos. could even be as high as 6 with a few bells and whistles. I get about 9 mins of usable time from 2x 5000 ma bats. With a less efficient design that was less than 5 mins. Hope that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thanks DennyR,

My main concern is that I have always wanted to have the best platform for taking pictures/video. I have always thought this to be an okto setup which then can give me a 2.5kg payload (740kv pulso motors + 40amp esc).
If the stability of a quad would be better for photography work then Is that what I should be looking at ?

I understand the octo setup to be more stable and able of payload. Batteries aside whats the choice then ?

Cheers for the reply and information

Matt

This in mind what would you suggest ?
Why not just build a heavy lift quad, You are going to need the best efficiency possible if you want to lift a 5D. The calculations are simple enough. You can find that info on the MK site. What it all boils down to is the fact that the weight of two extra motors plus all of that which goes with it is not offset by greater efficiency. Check out the lift curve of a 14x4.7 at the required lift for each configuration. No matter how many times you do it, a quad always comes out best. Redundancy is not really a factor as you have less things to go wrong. And you need to buy less parts so you get the best of everything and then it wont go wrong. Even so, lifting a 5 D will end up as a model above 5 Kilos. could even be as high as 6 with a few bells and whistles. I get about 9 mins of usable time from 2x 5000 ma bats. With a less efficient design that was less than 5 mins. Hope that helps.