DJI WKM yaw issues.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It is pretty clear that since updating to firmware 5.06 there is a huge yaw issue. Are any of you having this and is there a remedy? I feel I have covered a decent range on the yaw gains in both directions that the problem should be resolved if that was the issue. My hex has never had this issue. I realize i could revert back to the previous firmware but I like to keep up with the latest if possible. If the issue were RFI related I would think I would see other symptoms. The yaw is pretty erratic and is like a twitch that swings it around quite a bit. At times it has swung as much as 90 deg. around!

Tomstoy2

Wow!
That's more aggressive than mine, and yes, I've noticed it too. Mine just kind of drifts off a little and needs correcting about 3 times every 5 minutes or so.
I also noticed that upping the gains made everything really responsive, no oscillations, just sensative like I didn't have expo, ( running 30% ).
Dropping my gains really helped the sensativity and slowed down the drift on yaw. I need to lower it a tad more.
However, now I'm a little concerned as I just put on my new Graupner's today. Still need to do a test flight, but I think I'll drop them all another 5 points across the board before I do.
Like you, everything was pretty solid on the old firmware.
I need some decient weather now to test it all before finally deciding to roll back or not.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My yaw twitch happens once every 5-10 SECONDS! And it gets really bad if there is any wind. Yet the roll/pitch have improved. I may revert back. This makes the heli un-usable for any job. If i turn the gain down so far as to rid of the yaw, I can barely control the yaw. And it still doesnt get rid of it completely.

ddmt

After you upgraded to this new firmware, did you press the "default" button on the autopilot tab then set the gain again? I haven't upgrade my hexa yet so don't know anything about yaw problem, although my friend who has upgraded told me that the esc and motor were much hotter than the previous (5.02) firmware.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
yes. started witha new computer/software/ and reset defaults. I turned the gains way up and it works better but when any wind hits it, it goes ape ****.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
It's not a bad idea but the symptoms just dont lead in that direction. That kind of erratic behavior is easier to spot. And normally esc's just stop working. they dont seem to half work. RFI is a higher probability. But if it flies solid as a rock inside that cant be the case. I think the best thing is to revert back to the previous firmware and just see what happens.

I recently converted my hex to a Y6 but the yaw issue was still very present in the hex configuration. Maybe I will film it and see what you guys think.

wierd I have no such issues, just trying to hammer in the sweet spot on gains. But I can hover in atti for a whole pack and its locked in... no yaw, does yours do it in GPS aswell?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
yeah, i think it does do it in GPS. the GPS lock is pretty good though now, which I attribute more to playing with settings than the firmware upgrade. Tomorrow I will do 8 packs of testing and really dig into this more. if it doesnt work by the 4th pack I am switching back to the previous firmware. If that doesnt work maybe I will try pouring soy sauce on my fright controrer.

Cbergen

Lazy ESC's or a motor with a bearing problem can certainly cause this, or other issues such as trouble holding position in one aspect such as forward or back.

As a test, try swapping it with a different leg, say one that spins in the opposite direction to see if it has any effect. Then try swapping a motor to another leg to see if there's any change.

I updated a rebuilt Hexa last week to the newest firmware and did not see any change in yaw control.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I swapped all the esc's around to get into the new Y6 config. I jacked up the gains and it helps but it also makes doing a smooth turn almost impossible.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
one of you carried on with this ? I am having the same issue with my s800 now no clue if its a FW issue can't pinpoint it since I didn't keep track. Never had a yaw issue with any of my birds before hand !

Thanks

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thats one of the thing i didn't think of. I will give it a try tomorrow. Thanks. What do you have on your yaw gain for the fully loaded s800 with z15 etc. I m at 170 for yaw

Boris

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
strange thing is I just remembered i flew the s800 in heavy wind before changing the ESCS to the newer version having the gains on the radio bringing them up high down low etc but never had the yaw issue hmmm.

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
ill upload a video with the z15 gh2 were you can see the constant yaw fight. I also have a high pitched noise which could be one of the motors having an issue !

saidquad

I got the same yaw issue with S800. I never flied S800 until I received replacement ESC’s last week. I replaced them and maiden yesterday. After takeoff the bird yaws about 20 degrees to the right and hovers at that position. It doesn’t continue yawing around, just 20 degrees to the right and stop there. Any idea what could be wrong? I have done the compass check. I have also other birds using WKM and they do not have this issue.