DJI WKM Firmware 5.12 Update

MaNDoWn

Registered MR Crasher
Oh yeah! When you watch your octo just fall from the sky like a rock... your not a very happy person.
At first I was just glad I didn't hurt anyone or damage any property. That was yesterday...
TODAY I'M TRYING NOT TO BE TOO UPSET!

I'm not looking to bash DJI or the WK-M! I ONLY posted what happened to me in hopes that it don't happen to someone else.
I going to wait to see how this all plays out and how DJI takes care of me before I pass judgement on DJI.

Last edited by a moderator:

janoots2

Downloaded and field tested 5.12 today and was pretty happy and successful on my hex. Didn't have any issues and it flies very smooth. I especially noticed a difference coming down in altitude. You can actually descend and stays pretty smooth now. I just set my attitude gains to remote so I could dial them when the the wind blew. Gains ended up at 150 across the board and held well around 135 for attitude. Running Savox's on a direct drive gimbal and upped them to 400hz, not sure if I really noticed a difference in my video though... Can't wait to try POI.

Both of you with problems, did you have some issues in assistant and on the bench/during setup and then flew any ways and it fell from the sky?

DennyR

I had a power shut down issue yesterday. I am not going to comment until I have made a full analysis. I had to rescue an S800 from the sea afterwards. My student forgot to turn the camera on so I don't have the exact sequence of events.:apathy:

I had a power shut down issue yesterday. I am not going to comment until I have made a full analysis. I had to rescue an S800 from the sea afterwards. My student forgot to turn the camera on so I don't have the exact sequence of events.:apathy:

Was your s800 affected by the recall?

Sorry to hear about the crash Denny. Was the Zenmuse onboard?

If you are on the new firmware it's the FC that's causing the shutdown.

DennyR

It was last flight of the day and the new owner was going to take delivery of it soon after. Yes it was a recall ESC. And yes it was with that amazing Zenmuse. DJI are already investigating the sequence of events and the model is already winging it's way back to China. Almost no structural damage but even after a fast rescue (two mins) it had to be washed out with fresh warm water immediately. The Nex-7 will never work again nor the 16mm lens..... as for the rest of it, who knows......

I was very reluctant to upgrade but owner wanted it done. I actually lost a F1-535 the same day that had about 250 trouble free flights, first flight after the upgrade. I cant see two entirely different models go down the same way without it being a firmware issue. fortunately no damage to property or persons.

My client is a very highly rated Russian aerial photographer who has taken it very well considering....

snurre

Sorry to hear about your losses, Denny!
And TWO of them in one day... well, it double sucks.
Care to provide some info on the F1-535 event?

Yesterday I submitted a short report to DJI support, using their web contact form. I referred to this forum for more details.

all these reports of problems with 5.10/5.12 are making me little bit affraid to fly my CS6 with 5.12

Is this a normal failure rate for new firmware upgrades, or should I be concerned about it?

Is there a save way to go back to 5.06 where my bird was quite perfect?

Frank

Blacksails

Frank,

You can downgrade back to 5.06 by using the assistant for that firmware release.
I never used 5.06 so I'm not sure which assistant version you need, but I'm sure somebody else will chime in and let you know.

Alex

snurre

Frank,

You can downgrade back to 5.06 by using the assistant for that firmware release.
I never used 5.06 so I'm not sure which assistant version you need, but I'm sure somebody else will chime in and let you know.

Alex

I believe 5.08 worked reliably and then the Assistant software would have been 1.26.
I put the 1.26 installer in my dropbox if anybody needs it
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36968875/WooKongMInstaller_1.26.zip

My octa, presently on 5.12, is grounded until the motors control issue is sorted out, or if I decide to roll back to 5.08 out of impatience.

/ Tomas

DennyR

I cant comment further until I finish a full investigation on the F1. If I find no damage to motors or ESC then it can be replicated on the test rig. the S800 having been dunked in the sea will have burned out all of the ESC's and possibly some motors

Aviator

FW 5.12 for octa SAFETY ALERT

I have just upgraded WKM firmware from 5.08 to 5.12.
Octacopter "I", batt: 4S, ESC: CC Phoenix ICE 50 fw4.01 (set for MR, outrunner)
"Old" type WKM controller (december 2011)

After upgrading the fw I went through all tabs and reset /wrote the settings, new TX calibration included.

ISSUE, on ground, transmitter on, all motors should be at rest / disarmed / quiet:

- Motors 7 & 8 periodically kick in . Very short bursts, but enough to turn props around a few turns (Youtube video upload in progress).

During this workshop session the octa was supplied by a power supply featuring adjustable current limit. The current limit was set to limit current to just a few amps, as a safety precaution should any surprise occur. It seems like sometimes during these power bursts the current limitation kicked in (Spectrum telemetry signalled low batt). Therefore I do not know how much power would have been employed into the props if it had been supplied by the regular high power drive batteries. And I feel reluctant to try that out, since I now strongly suspect a FW bug in 5.12 for octas.
With 5.08 this never occured (burst when all motors should be quiet).

I cannot rate the severity of this suspected bug, but any safety related bug should be treated with great caution, even if not 100% verified.
And we all know that 5.10 had a bug that made octas not work at all. Maybe that bug was not completely resolved and 5.12 was not thoroughly tested on octa?

/ Tomas
This is happening to me also on different r/c setup with 5.12 and there are reports of motors on F1 and F2 going full throttle on there own during flight, and of all motors shutting down during flight resulting in a crash and lots of hard earned cash down the drain! I have had the two motors go full throttle during flight and nearly lost the craft as can be seen in my video on page 3 and also had a moment of all the motors shutting down during flight, both times I was quick enough and lucky enough to save it, a split seconds difference and it would be a different story. I tested the problem Tomas/Snurre is having with the machine disarmed and the same thing happens to me, I am using hobbywing opto esc`s so nothing to do with r/c setup. I have downgraded to 5.08 before it costs me money!. As I have said before I have never had the slightest problem with my $10 KK board. I expect better than this! We are close to firmware 5.14.. After we the end users have tested the firmware for DJI at our own expense and loss of work, equipment for some of us?
I dont care how long it takes, or if all Octo users are supplied with new MC`s that work with Octo`s. Just release a firmware that WORKS and doesn`t cause loss or injury to someone. Or as someone else has suggested, use Beta testers who use the product in real life situations in return for discounted/free products and give true feedback. I am sure it will save money in the long run and mould it into a better product?

iceman

Interesting reading all these findings and I'm sorry to hear some of you have lost/damaged equipment. What I do find alarming is that in almost all cases it seems no one has thought of bench testing their rig without props on for sustained periods of time, I say this because if you read the release notes from DJI and I quote, is states: Release status "EVALUATION" !!!

FROM DJI website (downloads page)

Date : 15/07/2012
Release Status : Evaluation
WooKong M firmware version : 5.12
WooKong M software version : 1.30
WooKong M User Manual : 3.0

plingboot

On a slightly different subject (for those attempting to use EzUHF ppm) i emailed dji about the issue with mixed up ppm channels and received a reply that they are looking in to it - so hoping to have that resolved at some point in the future too…

DennyR

Iceman I don't see any point in running motors without load. I did exhaustive bench testing (as always after any change) with props fitted before flight and saw no increase in temps or any change in stability. (The model is strapped down to a workmate) and loaded to about 30% more than that seen during actual flight. It was flying rock solid for three flights before it shut down during flight. The only difference in the last flight was to go a little higher. This was the same scenario when the F1 came down. Seems like it chooses it's moment when it has enough heigh to do real damage.

I am sure it is linked to the IOC/Coming Home in some strange way. Coming home in 5.10 definitely had a bug.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Therein lies part of the problem, it's the first time I have noticed this, perhaps it should be in big bold red letters for all to see, then we might all bench test first (or stay well clear)

Red would be appropriate since the Chinese associate it with good luck.

DennyR

My Zenmuse is definitely going into a TDI heli. We have one here that can attain speeds in excess of 240 KPH. These things just never go wrong even with the extremes of 3D flying.