DJI Waypoint Antenna

Does anyone know if the DJI waypoint hards uses SMA or RP-SMA connector? The manual says SMA but I know when dealing with say a Foxtech hardware I need to use a RP-SMA antenna and was wondering if its the same with DJI.

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I find the stock antenna works very well with it, or at least if you are flying within 500m of yourself. Do you need the antenna to change because of flying further away than 500m (which you should not do if you are flying in the UK)?

ChrisViperM

I tried a standard SMA Cloverleaf on the DJI-Data Link....didn't mach. Have to try something else once I am home....

Chris

gtranquilla

RadioActive
The radio industry switched over to RP (reverse polarity SMA antenna connector a couple of years ago.... probably an attempt to stop novices from extending unlicensed systems beyond their legal range/watts output).
My 5.8Ghz DJI video downlink transmitter has the original, standard, SMA connector which matches most currently available cloverleaf antennas such as FatShark.
But for my dual diversity FPV monitor I had to buy one RP-SMA adapter to attach the ground cloverleaf antenna.
Radio specialty shops such as MRO and most electronic wholesalers sell these for about $2.00 each.

I tried a standard SMA Cloverleaf on the DJI-Data Link....didn't mach. Have to try something else once I am home....

Chris

ChrisViperM

My 5.8Ghz DJI video downlink transmitter has the original, standard, SMA connector which matches most currently available cloverleaf antennas such as FatShark.

That might be the reason why the the standard SMA fits on your Data-Link and not on mine.....I got the 900 Mhz version, and there it definitely doesn't fit. I forgot about this thread and didn't try other connectors, but will give it a try tonight.

Chris

gtranquilla

RadioActive
My DJI 900Mhz datalink system came with the matching antennas for both radios which are the conventional SMA connectors and are specifically matched for 900Mhz frequencies..... Use of another antenna for a different frequency range, e.g., 2.4 or 5.8Ghz could damage the output rf section of a transmitting radio due to impedance mismatching and/or severely limit the radio system range during operation.
That might be the reason why the the standard SMA fits on your Data-Link and not on mine.....I got the 900 Mhz version, and there it definitely doesn't fit. I forgot about this thread and didn't try other connectors, but will give it a try tonight.

Chris

ChrisViperM

My DJI 900Mhz datalink system came with the matching antennas for both radios which are the conventional SMA connectors .....

Wrong....

SMA = thread outside - center female (male female part of connector)
thread inside - center male (female part of connector)

RP-SMA = thread outside - center male (male female part of connector)
thread inside - center female (female part of connector)

Base for definitions: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SMA_connector

This picture is the 900Mhz DataLink = RP-SMA :
This applies for both antennas (Tx and Rx)

900mhz.jpg

Can be replaced with this: http://www.readymaderc.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=801

This picture is the 2.4Ghz DataLink = SMA :
The 2.4Ghz comes only with one detachable antenna for the ground unit, the air-unit got a built-in antenna

2.4ghz.jpg

As a reference, this is a Fatshark with a matching Cloverleaf antenna, which without any doubt is SMA:

Fatshark.jpg

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

Chris, you are most likely correct but please note that most of your posting links are not working properly (will not open images).

iflynavy

What are the expected ranges for the 900 and 2.4 data links?

Also do they give a strength indicator in ground station?

Still waiting for new serial otherwise I would probably know.

Thanks.

This all is great information. Question: Is there any benefit with replacing the 2.4Ghz stock antenna with a cloverleaf or some other antenna configuration?

gtranquilla

RadioActive
For the 900Mhz Datalink the advertised range is around 10 kilometers LOS. But if you add a higher gain antenna at the ground location and keep it high and/or on high ground, you should be able to get 15 km or more. Technically that may be illegal to increase gain by means of a higher dB antenna and they reverse the polarity of these antenna coax connector to discourage such modification. But you can still pick up a RP-SMA connector to do it anyway. It has been awhile since I used it so I don't know if there is an RSSI indicator at the Ground station end....... if so it would indicate between 0 and 100% (not distance).
What are the expected ranges for the 900 and 2.4 data links?

Also do they give a strength indicator in ground station?

Still waiting for new serial otherwise I would probably know.

Thanks.

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Yagi antennas come in various dB gain configurations and are highly directional so as to increase reception range if you know where to aim it. And there are other types of directional antenna arrays as well...... Just talk to a HAM radio operator.
This all is great information. Question: Is there any benefit with replacing the 2.4Ghz stock antenna with a cloverleaf or some other antenna configuration?

I've been somewhat frustrated with my FPV setup. I have a DJI 5.8ghz TX/RX, with BlueBeam Ultra Cloverleaf Antennas which have better TX/RX than the stock DJI cloverleafs, according to a few tests at ground level. The receiver connects to a FoxTech 7in Monitor via NTSC composite. I get video alright, however as soon as I get around 200ft in the air, my video gets garbled. I've been thinking about getting a 5.8ghz 16dbi patch antenna on the receiver side to see if I can see some video from a reasonable altitude. Any similar experiences out there? Or any 5.8 patch antenna users? Whats the scoop?

I am using the DJI 5.8Ghz FPV transmitter along with a dual diversity FPV TFT display as well as Fatshark cloverleaf, one on the Tx and one on the FPV receiver (left-hand side) the other is the standard omni. I get good reception for about 500 feet and beyond with occassional breakups on the screen after that. Dual diversity seem to help a lot.

I've been somewhat frustrated with my FPV setup. I have a DJI 5.8ghz TX/RX, with BlueBeam Ultra Cloverleaf Antennas which have better TX/RX than the stock DJI cloverleafs, according to a few tests at ground level. The receiver connects to a FoxTech 7in Monitor via NTSC composite. I get video alright, however as soon as I get around 200ft in the air, my video gets garbled. I've been thinking about getting a 5.8ghz 16dbi patch antenna on the receiver side to see if I can see some video from a reasonable altitude. Any similar experiences out there? Or any 5.8 patch antenna users? Whats the scoop?

kloner

Aerial DP
considering the 2.4 air module has built in fixed linear polarized antennas the best way to make this extend range would be to use linear patch antennas like this

http://team-blacksheep.com/products/prod:tbs_yagi

they are directional so it adds to the complexity but will triple the range if not more..... check the sma connector to make sure it matches, otehrwise get an adapter or new end that matches the dji ground connection

Last edited by a moderator:

ptweet

I think you meant linear polarized antenna. I just wanted to know if it would work. Technically you can use circular polarized antenna with linear polarized, but you just don't get the full effects. It should work in theory, it is not an RP-SMA connector on the 2.4 GHz. Only the 900. I do have adapters though.

kloner

Aerial DP
no, up until the magic mushroom mixing the two went from signal to no signal in a heartbeat, with matching polarity you get degraded levels into static at worst, not total loss of signal.... you want to match the polarity with any type of patch antenna you can get... there cheap, work amazing