DJI used to make the local news

So we had major flooding in are area early this morning. I took me DJI Phantom out and shoot some footage. Turned out the local news stations wanted it along with an interview. During the interview, to make things simple, I called it a helicopter not a drone because of the negativity associated with "drones".

Here is a link to the actual news story.

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/video/8787900-arial-flooding-in-northfield/

Last edited by a moderator:

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Ok nice use but the newscaster used that bloody word 'Drone' But any how well done and good overview of your problems. Sorry you have to suffer the blight of flooding.

Dave

PS you almost look like a Fag toting brit there!

hjls3

Geeze I had no idea the flooding was that bad. Nice bit of coverage. AND>>>>>pretty sure Dave meant "Flag toting Brit" :)

Ok nice use but the newscaster used that bloody word 'Drone' But any how well done and good overview of your problems. Sorry you have to suffer the blight of flooding.

Dave

PS you almost look like a Fag toting brit there!

Dave,

As a result of this footage, I was contacted by another producer who wants to do a positive story on the use of drones by recreational flyers. We talked for 30 minutes and she will be shooting with me next week. It will be nice to get some good media attention.

Dave,

As a result of this footage, I was contacted by another producer who wants to do a positive story on the use of drones by recreational flyers. We talked for 30 minutes and she will be shooting with me next week. It will be nice to get some good media attention.

Be VERY careful! LOTS of news reporters/producers can give the story they will put somwthing out in a good light and then the next thing you know half of what you said is edited and out of context and shown in the negative light. Happened to me with Urban Exploring. My best advice is not to talk about it. No news on it is good news!

janoots2

My best advice is not to talk about it. No news on it is good news!

Disagree, if we continue to let the media roll us over there is less hope to display the positive side. Right now it seems people in general and the media only speak about the negatives because that is all they know...but there are plenty of positives to exploit.

Brian: Just remember, YOU are in charge of your portion of the story. Ask the producer what her angle is and tell her you will only participate on your terms. If she does not agree or will not tell you, deny the interview. Don't fall for "fame" and have your b-roll and interview voiced over a negative agenda. While you typically can't control the final outcome, you can steer it in the right direction. It's all about setting expectations.

Come up with three positive talking points and practice them with a friend acting like a reporter by working them into your response after every question they ask no matter what the question is. If you would like to reach out to me for some quick PR training please pm me, I would be happy to help prep you.

trec-r

Be VERY careful! LOTS of news reporters/producers can give the story they will put somwthing out in a good light and then the next thing you know half of what you said is edited and out of context and shown in the negative light. Happened to me with Urban Exploring. My best advice is not to talk about it. No news on it is good news!

That is complete BS. First most reporters are going to try and ensure that your point of view remains intact. That said if you say something stupid, it sound even more stupid when its broadcast. I don't know what happened in your case, maybe you had an encounter with one of the few bad reporters out there. Reporters are not out there to get you.

When it comes to multirotors otherwise known as drones, most TV news stations have or will soon have a vested interest in protecting commercial rc aircraft. If anything you might find that you have a regular gig with the local station. TV news is one of the best ways we have of influencing the general public's view point on "drones." Whether we like it or not, drones are what people are calling them, and I don't think that is going to change.

Rant mode off.

This is a very interesting debate started here... I had no idea, but let me address a few points:

RMD, you bring up a good point about being careful with reporters, especially on controversial issues. However the media has a job to do and they are obligated in telling an accurate story. Granted some will "twist" things, as it sounds like what happened in your case. You just have to be ready for it.

Janoots2, your information is dead on. Know the story, find out who else is being talked too, do your research and if it's not sounding like it's going to be favorable, don't do it. As much as I appreciate the offer on the PR training, I'm going to have to give you some background first. I have done hundreds of news interviews (local, national and international), press conferences and "investigative news shows" as part of my regular job (I cover 12 states). When I'm not in front of the camera, I'm working on talking points or prepping others for interviews. I also teach "dealing with the media" when I am not the one doing the interview. Additionally, the reporters I deal with know me very well and know that I will "cut them off" to exclusive stories if they screw me over. It's nice having that "card" to play. I think we are good on this one...

Trec-r, some reporters are "out to get you, you just have to know how to deal with them.... In 2009, I did a fair amount of media on "drones". Not the type we all fly here, but the full size versions. I we able to convince the media I was dealing with to call them UAVs or UASs. That was an incredible feet, but with education and access, the media can be putty in your hands. I also don't see the negativity to the word "drone" when used appropriately. Education and exposure to what we do is the key to winning over the public. We are a group of people who have invested a fair about of time, money and technology, incorporating it all into aerial vehicles that we control remotely for our own pleasure and to capture views which would otherwise be unobtainable. Hey, what do you know, I just created a good sound bite....lol

I really want to keep this thread going and see what others perspectives are on this subject....

janoots2

I'm in PR too, sounds like you'll be okay with the interview with your experience, lol. Just wanted to offer some guidance in case you were someone who happened to stumble into a story and didn't have training. Thinking about this a little more it seems like these local stories are starting to hit more. We should start a "Media Kit" thread that has talking points and guidance on how to handle local stories if a MRF member is approached so there is consistency in the messaging.

I'm in PR too, sounds like you'll be okay with the interview with your experience, lol. Just wanted to offer some guidance in case you were someone who happened to stumble into a story and didn't have training. Thinking about this a little more it seems like these local stories are starting to hit more. We should start a "Media Kit" thread that has talking points and guidance on how to handle local stories if a MRF member is approached so there is consistency in the messaging.

Totally agree. A "media kit" is a perfect idea. Once things here dry out, I will work on getting some talking point together and you can do the same. We compare notes and get some consistent messaging out there for all to use.

janoots2

Sounds great, i'll start putting some things together right after I finish my octo build...just kidding :)

ChrisViperM

Talking about Drones......I think the main goal by using this terminus is not to fight it, but to educate people and media that drones do exist, but for warfare, law enforcement, government surveilance.....what we are using are not drones - although the operational principles are very similar - we are using flying cameras, Multirotors....whatever you want to call them. There is so much confusion in the debate about Drones just because there is no precise vocabulary to keep things apart. When people take about privacy concerns and some politicians want to fight the use of Drones, we think they want to fight us....in reality they might just fight the use of Drones for government use to spy on us: http://www.globalresearch.ca/americ...-be-used-for-domestic-law-enforcement/5332077

Even Wikipedia doesn't have a definition of "Drones".....

If we hear about interest groups fighting against legislation prohibiting Drones, we might think they work in our favour, but in reality they do just the opposite (as this will affect our privat lives) and have only their own interests in focus:

http://unmannedsystemscaucus.mckeon.house.gov/about/purpose-mission-goals.shtml

....and if you look at their membership-page, do you think these bastards have our best in mind (flying peacfully with a camera and enjoy filming) ???? :

http://unmannedsystemscaucus.mckeon.house.gov/about/membership.shtml

Let's just find a "name" for our hobby/profession which makes clear to just everyone that we are not part of the Drone's world....and spread it out at any possibility. Not only the terminus, but also an explaination why !

Chris

I completely agree in not calling them drones. These are multicopters/multirotors/helicopters ect. Great video footage. It is just too bad that in the new link you provided they labeled it a drone :(

trec-r

Trec-r, some reporters are "out to get you, you just have to know how to deal with them....

That was the wrong choice of words on my part, really its part of their job. What is not part of the job is twisting things that someone has said. That can get them in big trouble. However sound bites are best kept short so they don't get edited for length. Which regardless of intent can very much change the tone and meaning of a quote.

Drone is the term that the public is familiar with, and I don't think we should fight it. UAV and UAS sounds very much like military terms. I think the best tactic is to focus on create a positive association with "Drones" and how we use them. I think it would be good to point out that cameras and privacy concerns have been around for a long time. There are laws covering how and what you can take pictures of already in place. Those laws should be sufficient to cover the work we do with Drones. In a similar fashion there are laws and regulations in place covering RC aircraft.

I currently work at a news station. I have about 6 years of experience in the news industry in various roles. I have been working in photography, film and video for about 20 years now. Yikes, does not seem like that long. One of the biggest topics in the news industry is how drones can be used in news gathering.

That was the wrong choice of words on my part, really its part of their job. What is not part of the job is twisting things that someone has said. That can get them in big trouble. However sound bites are best kept short so they don't get edited for length. Which regardless of intent can very much change the tone and meaning of a quote.

Drone is the term that the public is familiar with, and I don't think we should fight it. UAV and UAS sounds very much like military terms. I think the best tactic is to focus on create a positive association with "Drones" and how we use them. I think it would be good to point out that cameras and privacy concerns have been around for a long time. There are laws covering how and what you can take pictures of already in place. Those laws should be sufficient to cover the work we do with Drones. In a similar fashion there are laws and regulations in place covering RC aircraft.

I currently work at a news station. I have about 6 years of experience in the news industry in various roles. I have been working in photography, film and video for about 20 years now. Yikes, does not seem like that long. One of the biggest topics in the news industry is how drones can be used in news gathering.

Trec-r, I'm all about the sound bite... to keep you vultures at bay.... Just kidding. I think collectively with some help from some of the members we should have no problem putting a good package together for all to use.

I agree with the UAS/UAV term sounding way too official. We can come up with an interchangeable term that, with some effort can become very mainstream.

Now you have a good example to show your station management how to get the footage that otherwise you wouldn't be able to obtain.

Thanks for sharing your experience and count on the fact that I will be reaching out to you in the near furture.

SMP

"Remote control helicopter"

Nobody gets excited about parkflyers. I believe we need to associate ourselves with the same guys that have been flying RC PLANES in the park for the last twenty years. We're the ones calling them drones and multirotors and UAVs, etc. "Remote controlled heli", ergo toy. Non-threatening and a concept people are used to.