DJI S1000 horrible jello - help needed

konibak

Hi folks,

I need Your advice. My setup is S1000 A2 Zenmuse Z15Gh3 with Gh4 on it. I ordered this setup (to be assembled) from a guy, who has lot more RC experience than I have.
I've owned a "no name" hexacopter last year, I managed do fly/operate it pretty good.
Than I decided to buy S1000, based on the reviews and videos I've seen on YT. The S1000 aerials were perfectly fluent, without tweaking/tuning.

My S1000 has a horrible jello issue. I did several tests, trying to make the dumbping stiff or loser. No effect.

The gimbal is well balanced. I did made some tests - handhelding the S1000, works well, the recorded footage is very stable.

I think theres might be something wrong with assembling, gimbal's suspention, dumping. I made several images, can You take a look at this?https://imageshack.com/i/kpDoTZIaj

https://imageshack.com/i/f07RLSJmj

https://imageshack.com/i/paUL1Tzbj

https://imageshack.com/i/iqpGRKKpj

here are sample footages of the jello issue : http://we.tl/bAgFTNqcxH

I would be extremely grateful for any help.

UPDATE: Based on advices from ********.com I removed the 2nd isolation. NO CHANGES, jello is still there :(((
You find the updated images on imageshack links above.

konibak

Are you sure the gimbal is well balanced?

How about the blades/props? Have you checked they are balanced also?

I've done recording tests of gimbal alone - when handheld the S1000 and moving it around. Is 100% fluent (don't know if I included it to the samples I've uploaded).

Don't know how to balance or test the blades/props. Any advices?

konrad

FlyGirl

Then it's probably the blades being out of balance.... Here's how I do it and the balancer that I use.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Just watching the gimbal whilst powered up is not checking the balance. Does the GH4 stay where you put it with the power off?

Here's how to balance a Zenmuse:

konibak

thanks for the info. I'm just wondering if the props are cause for the issue. The set is BRAND NEW. My 1000$ hexacopter had a better image than this 8000$ DJI....

I've balanced the gimbal using this movie :

>>Just watching the gimbal whilst powered up is not checking the balance. Does the GH4 stay where you put it with the power off?
I didn't watched it. I've recorded a footage while holding the drone and rotating it every possible way. Image was CLEAR. No jello.

konibak

I've also watched, on my s1000 suspended in the air, that 1 or 2 arms are shaking a very little bit (left-right). Is that normal? Maybe that's the fault ... balancing of blades/engines...

Benjamin Kenobi

Yeah, that video is pretty good. Nice find!

The vibes must be coming from the motors or props then. Can you show us an example of the jello on the video? We can usually tell what is causing it by the frequency of vibes.

Benjamin Kenobi

And here's the way another guy does it but I like Ben's method better. Sounds easier....

Easier but not entirely precise. Good enough for me. Those little electronic scales are great for weighing components and the like.

You can also use a 'tail blade' balancer for an RC helicopter. Works like a seesaw.

Benjamin Kenobi

I've also watched, on my s1000 suspended in the air, that 1 or 2 arms are shaking a very little bit (left-right). Is that normal? Maybe that's the fault ... balancing of blades/engines...

That'll be the problem then. Have a look at those blades.

Benjamin Kenobi

It's not the length that counts! :nevreness:

So are you going to balance your props now? It's a good skill to learn.

konibak

I try to find someone who can do it at professional level, first ;).

I've seen a lot of YT films titled first S1000 flight - and everything was 100% fluent. Can't understand what's wrong with new blades...

It's not the length that counts! :nevreness:

So are you going to balance your props now? It's a good skill to learn.

Benjamin Kenobi

Ah, so it's high frequency vibes with a little flutter here and there. That is usually an out of balance prop or motor. You also mentioned seeing one of the arms wobbly in flight which is a clue.

Do the vibes change when you increase/decrease the throttle? If not then it's the Zenmuse balance.

Just out of interest, what shutter speed were you using?

Do you happen to have some of those little digital scales? Just weighing the props which you think may be causing the problem can reveal a lot. If one is significantly heavier sand a bit off.

There's always some vibration on these aircraft, that's just the nature of the thing, keeping it out of the footage is the key. I would keep the two levels of vibration dampening if that's an option (I don't have an S1000 so not an expert).

konibak

>>Do the vibes change when you increase/decrease the throttle?
yes, I think so. Less vibration when hover or descending.

>>Just out of interest, what shutter speed were you using?
1/50sec at 25fps

I'll try to find a pro who can check everythings out.

thanks a lot;)
konrad

Ah, so it's high frequency vibes with a little flutter here and there. That is usually an out of balance prop or motor. You also mentioned seeing one of the arms wobbly in flight which is a clue.

Do the vibes change when you increase/decrease the throttle? If not then it's the Zenmuse balance.

Just out of interest, what shutter speed were you using?

Do you happen to have some of those little digital scales? Just weighing the props which you think may be causing the problem can reveal a lot. If one is significantly heavier sand a bit off.

There's always some vibration on these aircraft, that's just the nature of the thing, keeping it out of the footage is the key. I would keep the two levels of vibration dampening if that's an option (I don't have an S1000 so not an expert).