DJI Released New Firmware 5.24 for WKM

Kolb

Hi Lanzar, thanks for testing this out. A few days have passed, would you say 5.24 is a reliable update and we can upgrade?

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Well, there have been at least five positive comments, all basically giving 5.24 the green light. How many do you need before you venture out?

The only non-positive that I have seen talks about a tendency to drift to the side. Remember, Lanzar was going to go back to 5.16 to check whether it was a firmware or WKM issue?

If you have bothered to read the previous page or two I explained that the compatible WKM Assistant (v2.02) seems to handle Tx calibration differently to before, leaving 'cyclic' controls off-centre. I had to enter Tx Sub-Trims to bring them to centre. I did not notice any drift tendencies during the subsequent test flights. RTH works and everything else seems to be OK.

However, the caveat is that DJI has created so much distrust of the Wookong M, with its flakey firmware updates and faulty components, that one is never really confident that all is OK until a good 10-15 uneventful flights have passed. But then, that is helicopters!

The majority of the MR community have no experience of manually flying single rotor helicopters - with no automatic self-levelling auto-pilot gyro systems to eliminate the constant drifting as they slide around like a bar of soap on ice. Multi-rotors have virtually eliminated the scare factor - when they work like they are suppose to !

So come on now. If your MR's were flying OK with the previous FW, brace yourselves and be men ... and go fly 5.24.

xerofly

Well, there have been at least five positive comments, all basically giving 5.24 the green light. How many do you need before you venture out?

The only non-positive that I have seen talks about a tendency to drift to the side. Remember, Lanzar was going to go back to 5.16 to check whether it was a firmware or WKM issue?

If you have bothered to read the previous page or two I explained that the compatible WKM Assistant (v2.02) seems to handle Tx calibration differently to before, leaving 'cyclic' controls off-centre. I had to enter Tx Sub-Trims to bring them to centre. I did not notice any drift tendencies during the subsequent test flights. RTH works and everything else seems to be OK.

However, the caveat is that DJI has created so much distrust of the Wookong M, with its flakey firmware updates and faulty components, that one is never really confident that all is OK until a good 10-15 uneventful flights have passed. But then, that is helicopters!

The majority of the MR community have no experience of manually flying single rotor helicopters - with no automatic self-levelling auto-pilot gyro systems to eliminate the constant drifting as they slide around like a bar of soap on ice. Multi-rotors have virtually eliminated the scare factor - when they work like they are suppose to !

So come on now. If your MR's were flying OK with the previous FW, brace yourselves and be men ... and go fly 5.24.

I will go ahead and test today how the 5.24 performs....
cheers

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
I really don't understand why the manual Mode is even there at all.

A couple of reasons- not everyone uses a WKM on an S800 or other photographic rig and manual mode allows you to fly some aerobatics if that is your thing. Secondly, if you have the skill and or balls, in manual mode you can make the aircraft fly faster and harder than in the other modes (not limited by 30 degree bank etc). Personally I will leave my aerobatic antics to my 3D helis and stick to atti and GPS on my WKM but there are two good reasons for having a manual mode.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
Fair enough.

But like you say, if one wants performance flight, do it with a single rotor. I don't look at MR's as anything else but a camera platform. I guess that is why I wrote that.

elossam

The roll drift when going from manual to atti should not happen everytime. A manual hover with no wind should not mean a change in level when switching to atti and that happened not me in a 5.16 unit (solved with a level offset if the imu base).
Tried the 5.24 and I saw no differences in stick calibration procedure. After completing the stick calibration and powering off/on stick were well centered in setup display. I saw the gps deviation problem in the 5.24. For first time I needed to use gps antenna yaw offset to get a decent stright track but not as acurate as before. If I can set it right for fore flights it tries to deviate when flying backwards. Other than that can not feel any difference with previous firms.

Of course it behaves differently when switching between Manual and Atti and will either drift in some direction or lose altitude. That is the whole purpose of Atti. It stabilises!

Anyway, why would anyone ever want to switch to manual? I really don't understand why the manual Mode is even there at all.

I too have tried out FW-5.24 and yes, it seems to be OK. However, the normal transmitter calibration process of clicking START and then twiddling the sticks left both Aileron and Elevator off-centre, which has not happened before with the WKM (I started off with FW-5.16). This is the first time I have had to apply Tx SubTrim, after the calibration process, to get 'ZERO' displayed at centre stick.

Maybe this has something to do with the couple of posts here that mention drifting with FW-5.24?

After fighting for the last month or so with my left yaw (spinning) situation I finally reverted back to firmware V 5.16 on my F550. I spent hundreds of dollars trying to get V 5.22 to work correctly thinking it was something wrong with my machine. It would get so bad at the end of a flight I could not even come close to overcoming it with the sticks. Today I flew in a 10 kn wind gusting 15 with version 5.16 and it was magically gone.

Do you guys think this is a known issue? I don't see it addressed in the release notes at all for version 5.24. Is anyone else having this problem?

Thanks

xerofly

I first calibrated compass in mid of may 2013 and everything went fine as per the manual ...today I did a version update from 5.20 to 5.24 DJI WKM and I was not able to calibrate the compass (blue light glows...I am able to horizontal calibration followed by green....when I do vertical calibration after 360 degree rotation I get blinking Red..which signifies a calibration error) and i also noticed green blinks on atti mode and I found that these blinks signify IMU data loss.

I suspected the version upgrade and I reverted back to 5.20 and there were no green blinks. I continued with the calibration but Compass fails to calibrate. The calibration was done on interference free open zone where we previously calibrated the same DJI WKM successfully.

What should I do now?

Cheers

CdA D

Have only flown 6 times with 5.24 and like it! I fly a CC Octo 1000. Never re-calabrated the compass, change Tx settings or gains. Wanted to see of there was going to be any difference. Haven't noticed any. RTH works great. Just lucky I guess. I did see somewhere, something about a LED defuser. This is suppose to help you see the LED better. Sooooo, I went to the hardware store and bought a white nylon spacer that is 1/2 inch (12.7mm) in length, 1/2 inch (12.7mm) OD and 1/4 inch (6.35mm) ID. This fits over the LED and is suppose to be really easy to see from a distance. I used clear non-hardening silicon sealant to secure it to the LED. This shouldn't do any damage to the LED. I think that they were asking around $8.00 for theirs and mine cost $.47. I had the sealant. We'll see!

Barreto

Guys, please look this video. When I upgrade to 5.24 firmware, I lost all automated functions as GPS, ATTI, IOC Etc. So, I noted that most of hardware, left of being recognized, thats the reason. I downgraded to 5.22, and everything backs to normal. Besides that, can't connect using my Bluetooth LED because after upgrade and downgrade, it tell that the version is incorrect. I'm so pissed off! Does anyone experienced it? Sorry about my english.

Last edited by a moderator:

Barreto, have you read the manual for the new firmware 5.24? It appears you are referring to two problems:
1) Yellow-Green LED sequence: this is a new LED blinking sequence for 5.24 which simply "abnormal compass data". Being that you are doing this in your room with all sorts of objects around, and who knows what kind of walls with rebar or whatever, I wouldn't be surprised by that. Have you taken it outside in a field clear of interference to see if it initializes correctly? You should need to also run the compass calibration. Without doing those things, you really can't say there is a problem with the 5.24 firmware.
2) Only showing you the Main Controller firmware version. Yes, my v2.02 Software Assistant only shows the Main Controller firmware version also. Your Bluetooth LED has a USB port which is how you upgrade the firmware of that device. I don't recall if/how the IMU and GPS versions are displayed (if anywhere), but that didn't concern me since I figured DJI was simply redesigning things again.
I hope that helps calm some of your concerns. I would focus on your yellow-green issue first by taking it outside and running your compass recalibration.

Barreto

Barreto, have you read the manual for the new firmware 5.24? It appears you are referring to two problems:
1) Yellow-Green LED sequence: this is a new LED blinking sequence for 5.24 which simply "abnormal compass data". Being that you are doing this in your room with all sorts of objects around, and who knows what kind of walls with rebar or whatever, I wouldn't be surprised by that. Have you taken it outside in a field clear of interference to see if it initializes correctly? You should need to also run the compass calibration. Without doing those things, you really can't say there is a problem with the 5.24 firmware.
2) Only showing you the Main Controller firmware version. Yes, my v2.02 Software Assistant only shows the Main Controller firmware version also. Your Bluetooth LED has a USB port which is how you upgrade the firmware of that device. I don't recall if/how the IMU and GPS versions are displayed (if anywhere), but that didn't concern me since I figured DJI was simply redesigning things again.
I hope that helps calm some of your concerns. I would focus on your yellow-green issue first by taking it outside and running your compass recalibration.

Before send the video, I did it outdoor without any interference. I calibrated the GPS, got the white light for 3 seconds, but after that, the green/yellow lights starts do blink again. Did it uncountable times!

Besides that, if you could see, after upgrade, only the IMU is showing on software. If the problem is a non calibrated compass, I assume, even on this condition, the others hardwares must be showed on software. Am I right?

p.s.: How can I upgrade the bluetooth LED? Tought what software? ty

I'm getting crazy. :/

Barreto, sorry for your frustration. But for starters, the two things you are dealing with are unrelated.

In your assistant software the firmware version you are looking at is not the IMU, but the Main Controller. Under v.202 of the Software Assistant, I believe it is by design that you only see the Main Controller firmware. Mine does the same thing. So I wouldn't worry about that. As for upgrading your Bluetooth LED, you use the Wookong Software Assistant.

But I do agree with you that you have an issue with the calibration process. I haven't had the problem, so I can't really speak to it, but let's see if others can chime in if they have had any issues with compass calibration under v5.24.

Barreto

Updating what I've done since the last procedure and following the tips from you.

Although "know" how to calibrate the compass, I followed the procedure in the following video:

The white light was solid for 3 seconds (indicating it was successful) as in the video, but then returned to flash green, yellow, green, yellow ...

I did this procedure in a park, avoiding any interference.

Done in several ways besides the one shown in the video.

I waited for the light blue, turned horizontally to get the green light, then aimed the nose of s800 down and turned vertically to obtain white light.

When I got the white light, I kept turning, placed horizontally, stopped spinning, ie, tried everything as it is way to calibrate the compass and no success (in practice, because in theory the solid white light for 3 seconds means that getting !)

The most curious, and when I do the downgrade, everything works immediately! Needless to calibrate the compass.

Another thing I noticed is that a wookong I've ever had for a while, it came with the compass V1, the upgrade (5.24) works perfectly without any calibration.

In short, something is very wrong with wookongs I received. All new, with V2 compass.

Honestly, I'm thinking of throwing everything on the wall.

Last edited by a moderator:

So you have two Wookongs and it is ONLY the newer one that is giving you problems with v5.24? Did you just buy it? Can you contact your vendor and see if they can replace it?

As far as trouble shooting, have you tried putting the GPS compass that works with the Wookong that isn't working, and see if that works for you?