DJI Naza sub trim

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
When I initially set up the Naza, I had all trims and sub trims set to 0. The MR hovered and stayed in place just fine. Recently I added LED lights, landing gear, rerouted the wiring and swapped an older AR6100 RX to a newer one. I bound the new RX and calibrated all the TX throttle, rudder and cyclic and they all were in the green. As soon a it lifted off, it headed quickly headed forward and to the right (as if I was giving it forward elevator and right aileron). I have been able to get the MR to mostly hover in place by adjusting the sub trims on the elevator and aileron. When I hook it back up to the assistant the elevator and aileron sliders are no longer green.

My question is, what might i have changed to require adding sub trim? I can swap the RX back to the old one to see if that is the issue. Or is it normal to fine tune the Naza by using sub trim to keep the MR hovering relatively in the same place?

The Naza unit was not moved when rerouting the wiring, and the battery is in the original position.

Setting are 135/135/135/135 Atti is 95. Radio is a DX7.

Thanks,

Lee

tstrike

pendejo grande
I would say your center of gravity got wacked out by the gimbal being added, you may have to adjust your battery back a little.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
My gut feeling is the naza has a tendency to drift right. I don't know how to fix this either. Seems a lot of people say the same as well. I even tried tilting it before plugging in the battery to initialize the gyros off level to compensate.

mailman35

ive noticed this too, the easiest thing ive found tho, is to load it up in assistant remove all the subtrims and stuff and see how far off all the sticks are when they are sitting at midstick. then adjust the subtrims from there.

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
In the assistant, when I remove the sub trim, all the sticks are green. That is what I find frustrating. I have also shifted the battery to the left to try an off set the tendency to wander to the right without any luck. I guess it is good to see that I am not the only one with this problem. The good news is that it can be pretty much neutralized with the use of the sub trims.

scorpiony6

Will you please call me? I have a few questions about how to bind a DJI Speed Control to a Naza. Thank You, Randy (817)305-1660

cones

Hi,

I am new to the forum. I have been flying my stock F450 kit for a while now.

But I seem to now have the same problem as the other people above.

After lift off in Atti mode the frame constantly drifts to the right, requiring about 5% of left aileron trim to correct it.

Once corrected it will fly perfectly. But if I do a battery change with the 5% sub trim left in the TX. Then on the next flight it needs a further 5% to stay level. It is almost as if the Naza calibrates with a 5% error on power on.

I have tried shifting the C of G and turning 180 degrees to any wind but this has no effect.

I have also changed my receiver to see if this is causing the problem but it is exactly the same.

My radio is a Graupner MX-20 and I have used the 12 Chan and 8 Chan RX.

The Naza is mounted perfectly level in the middle of the frame baseplate with the supplied tape.

I am running out of ideas of what to change or check next?

Thanks

Mark

kloner

Aerial DP
naza has a level inside of it, you'd have to tilt the mounting of the naza to get a change in how it holds a hover. it doesn't take much, even a velcro strap over it with a little pressure to the right way is enough to make it straighten up.

You want to lower naza in the direction it drifts, ie, squeeze down the right side

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
I did fix the problem, but not sure what I did. After I built the F450, I did not originally have the problem, until I changed position of the receiver, and put a new RX as the old RX was starting to look a little ragged. I started to have the exact problem as you describe, and also tried to trim it out. Second battery more trim was needed. Third battery CSC would not arm motors until trim was set back to zero, and then had to add trim in flight. I had also tried to use sub trim to fix the problem, but I had the same results, needing more sub trim every time I changed the battery.

I changed back to the old receiver and put it back in it's original position (bottom frame left side on the part of the frame that extends out. The RX is mounted in parallel to the Naza so that I can access the battery pins if I need to bind it). I calibrated it in the assistant. I had the trim and sub trim set to zero. I noticed that the aileron was reading a little right of center, enough for the slider to be black. I could not get it centered without using trim. When I clicked the button to complete the calibration the slider moved to the center and turned green. Any time I have calibrated it since then, it calibrates fine with the slider being green. In addition I set all the auto pilot to default. I later adjusted to 125 pitch and roll, 120 yaw, and 130 vertical. Attitude gain is at 95. I am not carrying any weight other that a 3300mah 3S Lipo.

Other than that, the one other thing I am doing different, is I have the Naza on Align PU Gel (http://www.readyheli.com/K10457A-Align-PU-Adhesive-Gel_p_34659.html). It is held down by a velcro strap. Another tape that is getting good reviews is Zeal Gel Tape (http://www.readyheli.com/Z8006-Zeal-Vibration-Absorption-Sheet_p_36541.html) which I plan to try.

I know this is not much help, but I would mess around in the assistant, and see if you can get the drift problem resolve by adjusting your settings.

By the way really nice wiring job.

kloner

Aerial DP
naza is so sensitive to level even an air bubble in the double sided tape screws with it

The local ACE here carries something called 3m vhb gel. it is the same as the stock adhesive, except doesn't look timed out before you even install it and it's a gel like zeal, but 1/8 the thickness so it has less room to get off balance, but the trick is the strap and tightening it just enough so you can tweak that flat hands free hover.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/...w=3m+tape&origkw=3m+tape&searchId=55966855494

this grey one is the industry standard in model helicopters, comes on gopro mounts, etc
http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1265201&clickid=prod_cs

Zeal makes a great camera dampener too

toptweaks

just to add up, yes i am using naza and have this drifting prob. with just a standard kit seems ok but after adding LG and gimbal then its started. yeah seems that the naza CG somehow probs still checking with this drift probs...

cones

Hi,

Thanks for the suggestions. I've tried out a few things this afternoon.

I removed the Naza unit and tape and very carefully marked a centre line on the unit.

Then I fixed it back to the frame with some thinner double sided tape. It is now totally flat against the pcb with no chance of leaning one way. The centre line is visible through the tape and is centred in the slot on the base of the plate. So I know it is straight.

Tried another flight and it is exactly the same as before. Drifting to the right all the time.

All I can think now is that I need to shim it up on one side as suggested above?

Thanks

Mark

Tahoe Ed

Have you checked your balance? Put everything in ready to fly mode including lipos and check the balance. Several people have had issues that related to an imbalance in their set up.

cones

Hi, yes. I have moved my battery around on the top plate. It sill drifts to the right even with the weight on the left.

Thanks

Mark

I have a simular problem with trim. I make sure everything is centered. In no wind, mine will drift to the rear and forward trim is needed for hands free hover. I try moving the battery forward to get it more nose heavy, it doesn't matter, still drift backward. Even after I got it trim, change battery, more forward trim again. It is not a lot of trim, may be 3 to 5 clicks worth.

Question, during power up, does the NAZA need to be on level to set itself up? Dose it remember where the trim was or it reset itself at center?

thanks

Silas

kloner

Aerial DP
no it has a permanent level, you gotta slightly tilt the FC....... like the plastic buckle part of the velcro strap over the side it drifts to is enough

no it has a permanent level, you gotta slightly tilt the FC....... like the plastic buckle part of the velcro strap over the side it drifts to is enough

If it is a permanent level, than what you are saying is use of a shim will correct any trim issue?

thanks

Silas

kloner

Aerial DP
yes, but just a tad. like i mentioned earlier, strap it down heavier to the side it drifts. I use these align/scorpion straps, they have a plastic clip on one end to strap stuff down, if you pull the strap tight with the plastic thing on said side, it'll straighten it up. Discovered it last weekend on a new build, this had been bugging me forever

tstrike

pendejo grande
I wonder if this right side drifting has anything to do with the battery cables coming out the right side of the 450? It's not much weight but it's still weight.