DJI Lightbridge - 2.4G Full HD Digital Video Downlink

Akermay

I'm going to wait and see how it pans out with other users before buying personally, although it does seem exceptionally good.

A few queries...

Does this mean the pilot and camera man are now tethered to each other via the receiver?

Does this remove the need for radio receivers on board the copter and route all signals through the video downlink receiver?

I don't entirely understand how it will all connect together and with existing Zenmuse gimbals, won't there be a requirements for additional wires/adaptors to retrieve an HD signal? I was under the impression the Zenmuse can only put out an SD picture through the jack connection.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I was wondering about the whole Zenmuse thing also. I guess you could remove the HDMI-AV converter underneath the Zen to get a raw HDMI signal out maybe?

mitmit

You definitiely can not transmit raw(or not raw) HDMI signal trough zen's sliprings as it needs 15 wires at least.
So you will need to initialize zen first then connect lightbridge to HDMI output of the camera directly. that will limit you on pan axis to 180deg left and right I suppose.

Akermay

I had a feeling there would be some issues. I just had a feeling that DJI would also try and makes it as complete as possible though. In an Apple-esque manner, they say the 'Total DJI Solution'. I figured if they made it, they would make it as compatible as possible and plug and play as possible with their existing products as they have in the past.

We shall have to wait and see how people use it.

Quinton

You definitiely can not transmit raw(or not raw) HDMI signal trough zen's sliprings as it needs 15 wires at least.
So you will need to initialize zen first then connect lightbridge to HDMI output of the camera directly. that will limit you on pan axis to 180deg left and right I suppose.

You could be right on that one, look at the DJI videos, and you can see there is a hdmi lead coming from the lightbridge directly into the camera hanging down.
Now also wonder what the G6 cable port does on the GMU
It is ridiculous that all the details aren't out in the open 2 weeks before a product ships, as there are beta testers out there that have this thing.

Tahoe Ed

The Lightbridge does require a direct HDMI connect to the camera. Right now the HDMI converter on the Zen only outputs analog through the slip rings. I have tried it on a H3-2D and it works.

Quinton

The Lightbridge does require a direct HDMI connect to the camera. Right now the HDMI converter on the Zen only outputs analog through the slip rings. I have tried it on a H3-2D and it works.

That is all well and good, but what happens if the Zenmuse one day suddenly decides to take a head stagger and does what it does in the below video, and rips out the hdmi port on the camera?
The side inputs on the 5D are very fragile.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Mitmit,
I've seen HDMI being sent over CAT5 and i could not tell they were using data cable for the signal, Im not sure myself if theres a quality drop seeing theres only 8 wires in a CAT5 cable ?

Having a cable plugged into the camera direct will be useless to anyone with a Z15 gimbal if it limits the axis for movement. Im sure DJI have something ready to make all Z15 plug n play with the Light bridge.

mitmit

Jimmy, hdmi signal could be transmitted with cat5, but the problem is that zenmuze sliprings are only 8 wires and they are all in use already. Ok, you can free one (even 3 with some mods :)) by getting rid of AV converter, but its still impossible to transmit digital signal with 3 wires. generally speaking I doubt that it is possible at all to HDMI through slipring..
As Quinton already noted, in dji promo vid you can notice HDMI wire dangling out of the camera.
the only way is to mount lightbridge tx inside the gimbal, but this will cause disbalance and serious zen failures I think..

Jimmy, hdmi signal could be transmitted with cat5, but the problem is that zenmuze sliprings are only 8 wires and they are all in use already. Ok, you can free one (even 3 with some mods :)) by getting rid of AV converter, but its still impossible to transmit digital signal with 3 wires. generally speaking I doubt that it is possible at all to HDMI through slipring..
As Quinton already noted, in dji promo vid you can notice HDMI wire dangling out of the camera.
the only way is to mount lightbridge tx inside the gimbal, but this will cause disbalance and serious zen failures I think..

Ok i understand now Z15 uses 3 pins/cables for video signal to the GCU
I thought the ribbon cables are control signal and the other HDMI to the GCU, then output was AV on my Z15 Nex5r gimbal

mitmit

ribbon cable in zen transmits everything - power, canbus and analog AV signal. If all sliprings will be 12-channel it could probably be possible to convert HDMI to digital stream in the gimbal and then send it upstairs.

How will this plug into your Vision or Phantom 2 controller?

http://www.uav-outlet.com/dji-lightbridge-2-4ghz/

LightBridge_05__41987.1391204535.1000.1200.jpg

Hi Motoxer,
Why would you put this on a phantom ? (for testing before installing on a bigger platform)
Its for the pro market and platforms like S800 or above I don't even think the phantom can house the unit within its shell let alone lift it.
I think you will be better of with immersion VTX link they are small and light weight.
Good luck dude

Benjamin Kenobi

I imagine it would plug into the micro USB slot. It's not at all obvious from the diagram but it does list the Phantom 2 transmitter (5.8GHz) in the specs.

Tahoe Ed

http://www.uav-outlet.com/dji-lightbridge-2-4ghz/

LightBridge_05__41987.1391204535.1000.1200.jpg

This is the ground side and unless DJI produces an adaptor it will not work. The air side might work on a P2 with a can hub but it would not be a tidy installation. I really think that the A2 or the WKM would be better controller choices. Followed by the Naza M v2. I don't see an application for the Phantom's anytime soon.

Benjamin Kenobi

I thought he was talking about the ground side. How does it plug into the Phantom transmitter? (I could be wrong though)

On that note, will it work with Spektrum/Futaba transmitters?

Tahoe Ed

It includes one trainer plug for the Futaba and one for Spektrum. It will not connect to a Phantom Tx of any variety.

I thought he was talking about the ground side. How does it plug into the Phantom transmitter? (I could be wrong though)

On that note, will it work with Spektrum/Futaba transmitters?

Futaba for sure DJI like Futaba kit.
It might work with more radios because its AV and Control RX you install on the aircraft i think so that mean you don't need a Futaba or Spektrum receiver ?

Benjamin Kenobi

It includes one trainer plug for the Futaba and one for Spektrum. It will not connect to a Phantom Tx of any variety.

Well that clears things up. I was wondering why it said in the specs:

Must Work With DJI Multi-Rotor Flight Controllers
-DJI A2, WooKong-M and Naza-M V2 flight controllers
-Phantom 2, with DJI 5.8G radio transmitter.

That confused me a bit :dejection:.

Cheers Ed!

Tahoe Ed

-Phantom 2, with DJI 5.8G radio transmitter.

That confused me a bit :dejection:.

I had a chance to think about this some more. The reason that it works with the P2 with 5.8ghz Tx is that the RC control function stays with the Tx not the Lightbridge. So it is only a HD video downlink at that time.