DJI is going to release its DropSafe parachute system

Innovative, Lightweight, Lightning Fast Deployment

The DJI DropSafe is a new drop speed reduction system. In the event of an emergency, it deploys in less than half a second, and is effective at a minimum altitude of 6 meters. The reusable design weighs less than 550g, adding a high level of protection with very low added weight.

Introducing the DJI DropSafe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CPIvtut0LE

Dual Safety Mechanisms & Self-checking LED

The DropSafe has both electrical and mechanical safety mechanisms to ensure there is never any accidental deployment.

dropsafe_led.jpg

*Electrical Safety: The electrical safety prevents the parachute from deploying within 9 seconds of the system being powered on.
*Mechanical Safety: A removable safety pin prevents the triggering pins from making contact with the firing mechanism. Users must remove the safety pin before the first flight, and may choose to replace the safety pin after each flight.

dropsafe_safetypin.jpg

Also, a self-checking LED indicates the DropSafe system status. A green light will display after a full system check is complete, and other lights will display indicating different statuses.

dropsafe_led.jpg

Compatible with DJI Flight Controllers and Platforms

*Compatible with DJI S1000, S800 EVO, and S800 systems
*Compatible with DJI A2 and WooKong-M flight control systems
*Supports command inputs from RC transmitters
*An independent RC control channel is reserved for parachute deployment. Additionally, a back-up battery safeguards the system, so if the main battery fails, users can still deploy the parachute manually.
*Automatically cuts off motor power when parachute is deployed

Important: The DJI DropSafe parachute is designed to minimize damage to equipment in the event of an accident. However, no guarantee can be made that all damage will be prevented. Use with caution.

Payload---Speed of Descent*
3kg --- 4.4m/s
6kg --- 5.6m/s
9kg --- 6.8m/s
12kg --- 8.6m/s
15kg --- 11.7m/s

*Data obtained at low altitudes and in a windless environment. For these tests, the parachute was attached to the aircraft arms in a uniform way, with each connection string placed 17cm away from the center of gravity. Actual speed of descent is subject to setup and environmental conditions.

Last edited by a moderator:

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Cool! The speed of descent still looks pretty high, but it's another way to make a safety case look more robust.

Quinton

It is a step in the right direction.
Also where exactly do you put it if using anything other than a DJI MR
8m/s is 18 MPH descent 8m/s is just over 13mph.

flitelab

Also where exactly do you put it if using anything other than a DJI MR

It will be difficult, but I don't think DJI care. This is all part of selling items that fit their infrastructure, they have been heading more and more that way recently.

dazzab

I'm not convinced. The product demo shows a pretty small chute, it looks like CO2 deployment and is heavy. Being DJI it will probably be priced very high as well. I've been looking at using a couple of MARS 58's for my Skyjib which would cost almost $800 for two.

Out of curiosity, how many people here use parachutes or are planning to?

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I wonder how high the wind would have to be to float the helicopter back to China. Can't wait to see all the accidental deployments and people in the crowds trying to frantically remove ripstop nylon embedded with lead paint from their faces. :)

Just kidding around.

Tahoe Ed

If you are flying $5-8000 in equipment around that is not insured then this is an option. There are other systems in the market place. DJI now has one specifically for their craft. @ Iris, you are correct but I would rather fish a parachute out of a tree than scrape the debris off of the asphalt. :)

ZAxis

So, is this designed to protect your investment or people/buildings/property/etc on the ground underneath the failing craft?
I think the CAA are going to prefer the latter.

andy

Tahoe Ed

Andy, I think the answer is both. Is there a movement in the UK to require this type of equipment to protect the public safety?

flitelab

I will say they nailed big and ugly if that was part of their design target. Will be interesting how this impacts fast forward flight and windy conditions.

ZAxis

Andy, I think the answer is both. Is there a movement in the UK to require this type of equipment to protect the public safety?
Yes there may well be a requirement for this sort of safety feature for craft between 7 & 20kg operating in city or crowded areas soon, it's certainly being suggested in their latest proposals.
What this means is that it must work and only when actually needed. Failure is not an option, DJI need to prove they can do this. The promo video shows a lightly loaded craft and did not show the landing, not too reassuring.

andy

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Yes there may well be a requirement for this sort of safety feature for craft between 7 & 20kg operating in city or crowded areas soon, it's certainly being suggested in their latest proposals.
What this means is that it must work and only when actually needed. Failure is not an option, DJI need to prove they can do this. The promo video shows a lightly loaded craft and did not show the landing, not too reassuring.

andy

Agreed.

There may be a requirement for this in the UK, it was mentioned in that last CAA release notice. I think maybe I'll wait for version 3 though!

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
It looks like a trash can with Simon says lights on it, maybe once you wreck, the DJI product will be put into the trashcan on the product.

Heres an idea, make your products more reliable. Take the A2 for instance, that product certainly does need one or more of these.