DJI Introducing no fly zones in next firmware.

econfly

I think it's very proactive.. We don't need people flying that close to airports.

True, but I wonder what the cost is. In real time the controller is taking in IMU and GPS/Compass data and making a bunch of decisions. One issue that potentially illustrates the limitations on that process is the introduction of vibration at the IMU. Why would that be a problem? One hypothesis is that the controller can't keep up with the flood of changing IMU position status. That may or may not be the case, but let's consider the possibility that the real-time computing power of the controller is taxed with current tasks. This is a potentially more significant concern for firmware updates to existing products (e.g., NAZA / WKM / A2).

Now consider the impact of adding a new task -- periodically checking GPS position and comparing it to a database of restricted areas, setting limitations in those areas, and forcing flight behavior (e.g., landing or ceiling restrictions) as needed. How do I, as I user, benefit? The answer is, assuming I'm not stupid enough to fly in these areas in the first place, that I don't benefit at all. And, I operate under the knowledge that my flight controller is spending time checking conditions that I know don't apply. We add complexity, a (presumably) evolving and growing database to hold in firmware, and the potential for bugs/errors in the process.

So, while I get the risk-reduction / proactive approach to potential issue down the road, as a user I see nothing but negatives. More than anything I want stable attitude and flight (GPS hold is nice, but I could do without it for my photo/video interests). I generally like DJI products, and particularly the Zens, which require a DJI flight controller to function. So this isn't DJI bashing -- in fact I usually am irritated by the knee-jerk anti-DJI stuff we often hear. But in this case, I can't say I'm pleased. At best, I won't notice any changes that are inserted into future firmware. I hope that this is the case.

Quinton

in fact I usually am irritated by the knee-jerk anti-DJI stuff we often hear.

Is it all knee jerk though, there is a lot of good reason for the anti DJI stuff you hear too.

My first thoughts is, what if they start to add this into the Wookong or A2 and you have a job close to an airport which you have full permission to do?
Should this really be something that is governed by DJI after all it was DJI that promoted stupid dangerous flying videos to begin with, where I live there is actually a hobby flying field within a mile of an airport, now you wont be able to take off?

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Maybe they will give you a 3 hundred foot limit too? There are a lot more options out there than DJI, DJI will come to realize this when their sales plummet.

SoCal Blur

Is it all knee jerk though, there is a lot of good reason for the anti DJI stuff you hear too.

My first thoughts is, what if they start to add this into the Wookong or A2 and you have a job close to an airport which you have full permission to do?
Should this really be something that is governed by DJI after all it was DJI that promoted stupid dangerous flying videos to begin with, where I live there is actually a hobby flying field within a mile of an airport, now you wont be able to take off?

Same here. My local flying field is 1/4 of a mile from the largest Private Aviation Airport in the nation, Van Nuys Airport. Every DJI Phantom would instantly be grounded out here. Within 5 miles or so is a Commercial Airport, Bob Hope (Burbank) airport. So essentially, the southern portion of the San Fernando Valley would be a Phantom-less area. Hmmmm..... maybe that's a good thing... more room for my Octo...

Tahoe Ed

I met with a representative of the Drone Test Center here in Las Vegas at NAB. Believe me if DJI did not do this the Government would have. They are very interested in talking about DJI's proactive move.

SoCal Blur

I met with a representative of the Drone Test Center here in Las Vegas at NAB. Believe me if DJI did not do this the Government would have. They are very interested in talking about DJI's proactive move.

IMO there needs to be an override option...perhaps one that only alows for a specified amount of time. It is possible to get permission to fly in controlled airspace (as mentioned by someone earlier) if necessary. The new firmware makes even "legal" flights impossible.

OneStopRC

Dirty Little Hucker
Why would GPS matter or not? You should always be under 400 ft and the FAA are trying to limit us to under 300 feet anyway. Just don't understand why "if you don't have gps" would matter?

dazzab

Why would GPS matter or not? You should always be under 400 ft and the FAA are trying to limit us to under 300 feet anyway. Just don't understand why "if you don't have gps" would matter?
I agree. I don't understand the logic of limiting only non GPS mode. Given this is a consumer product I think it would be a great idea to limit it's height AND range. If they could make it not fly over crowds of people as well that would be good too. :)

Fat Corgi

It's a first step, but seeing as the majority of people that would stumble into this forum start with phantoms or other DJI products, then I think that if they are going to start incorporating restrictions on the firmware, go the whole way. In Australia, you not allowed with 3nm of any airport or helipad, and must remain below 400ft at all times, which I don't think is too unreasonable. Knowing the local regulations, DJI could use this to make sure that people who are starting out, or "just having fun" don't indadvertedly get into trouble when they are most likely not intending to, by working within the regs.

haha49

It's a first step, but seeing as the majority of people that would stumble into this forum start with phantoms or other DJI products, then I think that if they are going to start incorporating restrictions on the firmware, go the whole way. In Australia, you not allowed with 3nm of any airport or helipad, and must remain below 400ft at all times, which I don't think is too unreasonable. Knowing the local regulations, DJI could use this to make sure that people who are starting out, or "just having fun" don't indadvertedly get into trouble when they are most likely not intending to, by working within the regs.

And in Canada don't fly in a designated flight path.... If your under a certain weight ect... simple and effective. Any person that flys a kite, rc ect that puts a plane in danger is guilty of blah blah blah... So Common sense.

crcr

Can anyone confirm if the Wookong is restricted near airports? and if so, can you roll back the firmware to an earlier version? I need to be able to set up some waypoints. Not sure if the No fly restriction is in the flight controller or ground station, or maybe both?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Ronan

WKM/A2 are not suppose to have restrictions since they are suppose to be used by professionals which are suppose to be fully aware of where not to fly their rigs.