FPV with Canon 5D3 shooting Raw - Possible??

Hi folks. I'm new here, in fact this is my first post. I hope I'm addressing this issue in the correct place.

I would like to shoot aerial video using my Canon 5D Mark III and view the camera's video via an FPV system. Picture quality for the final video is extremely important for what I need to do. The camera is currently set up to shoot RAW video using the Magic Lantern RAW software, and this is the way I need to shoot the vids. I mention the final quality of the video only because it impacts my ability to use an FPV system.

My issue is this: In order to shoot RAW video with the 5D3 I need to use the Magic Lantern software, which I have been doing for several months now and am getting some fantastic results. Magic Lantern Raw works
ONLY with Canon firmware version 1.1.3. Unfortunately this version of the firmware has HDMI issues. There is no clean HDMI out using Canon firmware 1.1.3 on the 5D3. So, how to I connect my Canon 5D3 to the transmitter for the FPV, since it requires an HDMI connection? If there was a way to use the analog, mini USB out, that is also provided on the 5D3, then I believe I'd be in business. Yes, the mini USB out is analog, and it is only NTSC resolution, not HD, but I believe I can deal with that compromise.

So, 1) Are there any reliable FPV systems out there that will accept a connection from my 5D3's analog video out? Or, 2) is there a way to hack the cable coming out of the mini USB on my Canon to make it work with an FPV system that typically wants an HDMI signal?

Any advice would be exceptionally appreciated.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
Look at something called the CamRemote 2A pro. This takes the video feed from the USB cable and allows you to send it via SD 5.8Ghz and at the same time it allows you to remotely operate the camera. For Canon cameras, this remote really is the mutts nutts.

Thanks a bunch, Carapau. Looks great! I'm researching this unit now. So far can't find anything about this device's handling of an SD video feed. What I'm seeing is more about the remote control aspect of it. But I'll keep looking.

Quinton

There is a version just out that works with FW 1.2.3 just last week, I am not sure how the hdmi out handles it..
I have not installed the latest FW yet as there are a few problems, but I might give it a go later in the week, as I also have a camremote (which had a few bugs with the 5D MK3

Carapau

Tek care, lambs ont road, MRF Moderator
It handles the SD feed perfectly. No complaints from me and far more importantly, from my clients either. Seriously, go for it, it is by far the best device for remote control and vid feed from a Canon.

I would love to hear the results you get with the new ML that "works" with FW 1.2.3. From what I gather, the HDMI out is still an issue, and that's the main part that I need to work. This version is not even in Alpha yet, so it could be a while before a dependable version is out there, though I will be anxiously waiting.

Quinton

It handles the SD feed perfectly. No complaints from me and far more importantly, from my clients either. Seriously, go for it, it is by far the best device for remote control and vid feed from a Canon.

Sounds good, i have not really got my head around the RAW editing stage tbh, I need a PC update to handle it, and Davinci Resove is so temperamental, it put s me off at this time.
I hate it simply shutting down when in the middle of things.
I suppose I really should have upgraded my PC instead of putting the pre-order down for the GH4

What is all this pre-order stuff about anyhow, 2 years ago you would have never of dreamed about handing any money over before you had a fully working product in your hands, now it seems to be what everyone is doing, and I don't like it.
Here take my money, and I'll sit and wait patiently..(I might even beta test it for you as its probably not ready for prime time) ..what's happening!

Yeah, the raw workflow for the 5D3 is a bit cumbersome, but it's worth it when you see the footage, and even more so when you get it into Resolve and are able to push and pull the colors to great lengths before the image starts to break down. That's the joy of 14 bit!

Do the computer upgrade and give Resolve another try. It's a fantastic piece of software. I use it for my job daily and have very few complaints. And try to have a dedicated playback monitor if you can. Playback is so much smoother.

Does the GH4 do raw? Or maybe 4:2:2 ?

That's what I thought. So then, how do you plan on recording the vid files while flying? I'm thinking about this issue too as I am considering upgrading my 5D3 firmware to 1.2.3, without Magic Lantern. Then, through a now working HDMI port, I can record the 4:2:2 video. But, like I said, how? Do I strap a Ninja2 to the copter? Can that data be beamed to a recorder on the ground and maintain it's quality? And now that the HDMI port is being used, how do I deal with FPV for the camera? Back to using the usb port with the CamRemote, I guess. Sure would be nice to able to both record from the HDMI port as well as do the FPV, but that may be asking too much.

If only my 5D3 could record raw AND have a working HDMI port!

Tuukkuli

Mine does have a working HDMI port and it records RAW at the same time. Here´s a test video I just did.

Tuukkuli - Thanks so much for the response. Your video looks great! And the fact that you are also doing FPV with the 5D3 while shooting Magic Lantern RAW is very inspiring. Mind if I ask what Canon firmware you are currently using with Magic Lantern? And also, are you getting FPV through the usb /AV port on the Canon? or through the HDMI?

Thanks again!

Sorry I've been away for a while, but now I'm back with another question -Do I really need to use the HDMI out on my 5D3? Or can I just use the AV out? I really only need to be able to frame my shots since I will be recording internally. I will be using Magic Lantern to record RAW footage, so this may factor in as well. Any guidance here would be awesome.

Thanks!