DJI has released new firmware for DJI Lightbridge!

econfly

So glad to find this thread...now working 2 days on getting this to work:

Lightbridge, Phantom 2, H2-2D Gimbal, 2.0 firmware on Phantom, 5.8 ghtz DJI radio

All lights work..2 important green ones on Air Module on Phantom 2...All firmware updated as of 2 days ago...but it did report a failure on the firmware that was the 15 minute one...however after restarting...the software reports the firmware update successfully....

but App won't work...thought it was 1st Samsung Tablet...then just picked up Samsung Galaxy Note3 phone...same thing.

Error says turn everything off and start again (well... in other words but this is what it means...) Should I send the Lightbridge back...? Sounds like many on this thread would recommend waiting more time for this product to develop?

I am just waiting to see how this pans out. I own one, and it's on the shelf for now. The firmware updates are coming out rapidly, and until the software settles down I'm not going to even try to use this thing. That's not saying it doesn't work, but just that I am in no hurry and playing beta tester with thousands of dollars in the air doesn't appeal to me. If I find the time I may play around with a cheap quad just to try it, but otherwise I'm waiting on things to settle. I think this will be a decent product (maybe it is now). They clearly are working actively on improving the software.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I have see the light bridge A2 and S1000 in action, all put together and figured out by Eyeball. (Quadcopter Pro) It works BUT why the hell should I share this on a forum where I have only tried to help others and speak the truth with out any influences from sponsors, probably thats why I don't have any. I have been a moderator since this site first kicked off and have contributed and helped and welcomed everyone, never had any issues and always have done my bit.

Now I am no longer a moderator because I crossed the line in Barts opinion in condemnation of DJI and their blatant exploitation on US, their unpaid BETA testers and their workers tasked to put inferior unsafe products in to the market before they have been fully evaluated by experts NOT in their pocket.

NO DJI representative has posted anything on here of their machines working and don't explain how to do stuff. Its people out there like Eyeball and to a certain extent me that puts their hands in their pockets and tries these things, and reports them honestly.

Sorry people that brings to a close my contributions on here, I am off to places NOT ruled by sponsors. Bit like this place used to be.

What happened to you Bart.. Oh and by the way where your fantastic A2 machine un to?

Roger and out

Dave

PS

Thanks everyone for your great support in my quests to help you all and thanks from the great minds on here for helping me.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
dave, you obviously have an inability to understand adult topics. i've asked you over and over, as a representative of the site, to express yourself in a way that doesn't sensationalize the problems being discussed and your comment earlier in this thread about DJI's engineers working as servants "for their rice" overstepped this very simple request.

while you may continue to try to make this problem mine rather than yours I have never asked you to stop bringing up problems but have asked you to address them in a more constructive way. you can't obviously live your life in ALL CAPS as you do here or with a million ******'s and !!!!!!'s every time things don't go your way. or maybe you do.

despite attempts to get through to you you simply have refused to cooperate and you've left me with no choice but to remove you as a moderator. you may very well choose to stop helping others but that wouldn't surprise me, DennyR stopped contributing as well when we finally had enough of his disrespectful behavior and asked him to find another place to hang out. it's just what guys like you do. as for us, we'll be fine.

My A2 hex is under a table awaiting a new gimbal, i've told you that, not sure what you think you're saying by bringing it up. in the time it's been sitting there I built a new Mikrokopter XY8 for a Mōvi and I continue to fly other heli's including the group build NAZA-M V1 F450 and the product review NAZA-M V2 XY-4, but i guess you missed that.

Bart

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

........... I am off to places NOT ruled by sponsors. ............

someone please show me where problems with any manufacturers' products were moderated so as to keep you from discussing them in the way we encourage things be discussed here?

even this thread is intact except for Dave's inappropriate comments which were deleted.

Bartman

one last thing Dave, unless you just discovered Eyeball's success today then everything you've posted in this thread (in the last two days) has been insincere with the intent to further stir up controversy about this topic.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
one last thing Dave, unless you just discovered Eyeball's success today then everything you've posted in this thread (in the last two days) has been insincere with the intent to further stir up controversy about this topic.

Nope! It was just after testing that DJI released this statement.. whats concerning is the fact it has been released with so many flaws that they need to down grade its capability. Now the machine is in limbo.. more expense NOT (sorry for the shouting!!****) out of DJI's Pocket BUT (sorry for the shouting!!****) but ours.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
My A2 hex is under a table awaiting a new gimbal, i've told you that, not sure what you think you're saying by bringing it up. in the time it's been sitting there I built a new Mikrokopter XY8 for a Mōvi and I continue to fly other heli's including the group build NAZA-M V1 F450 and the product review NAZA-M V2 XY-4, but i guess you missed that.

Bart

Thats does not stop you flying it.. go on, you, Tahoe Ed and BladeStrike.. start posting your videos.

As far as the Naza is concerned I don't have a problem with it, or infact the 7 WKM's we fly.

Bartman

Thats does not stop you flying it.. go on, you, Tahoe Ed and BladeStrike.. start posting your videos.

As far as the Naza is concerned I don't have a problem with it, or infact the 7 WKM's we fly.

explain to me the point in flying a heli without the gimbal attached. tuning is meaningless, risk is for nothing, fun isn't what it was built for.

consider this, i've received a Mōvi from Freefly to test, report on, and use in the process of posting here at the site. why would i protect DJI to the degree that you accuse me of when Freefly is also a new sponsor with their products in the review area? your accusations are unfounded and inappropriate and i've had enough of trying to get you to understand my position. nothing factual, nothing of substance has been deleted or moderated out, this was strictly related to your conduct as a moderator.

Area51Drones

I am just waiting to see how this pans out. I own one, and it's on the shelf for now. The firmware updates are coming out rapidly, and until the software settles down I'm not going to even try to use this thing. That's not saying it doesn't work, but just that I am in no hurry and playing beta tester with thousands of dollars in the air doesn't appeal to me. If I find the time I may play around with a cheap quad just to try it, but otherwise I'm waiting on things to settle. I think this will be a decent product (maybe it is now). They clearly are working actively on improving the software.

Interested Pilots, Lightbridge...

I did get the Lightbridge to work with the Phantom 2, H2-2D Zenmuse Gimbal, Hero 3+ Black, 5.8ghtz DJI Radio..and Samsung phone, almost 6" screen, 1920 by 1080 resolution...it's too windy to do distance tests here in Vegas on Fathers Day...looks like in 2 days winds become calmer.

View attachment 18659

Area51Drones

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    135 KB · Views: 379

Tahoe Ed

Dave, here is a video of my test of a preproduction LB on my P2.

This is an install video;

A test of the video latency on the new firmware with an iPad mini A7 on my S800 with Zen for BMPCC. Note the Zen is running beta firmware as is the iPad iOS App.

You say that we never posted our videos. That is not true. I have posted plenty. The issue has always been that some how my stuff has no worth and why am I not solving some other issue. I have also been here to try and answer questions and provide guidance. For your information I don't own a S1000, just an old S800 that I have dusted off to test the lightbridge and the Zen for BMPCC. I have flown it bare and have it ready to fly with the gimbal and camera. But as Area 51 has stated the winds have been brutal. It was blowing at 16 at 5 this morning and 27 this afternoon. I want more ideal conditions before I put my $2000 worth of camera and lens in the air for the first time. I assume that most of you would do the same.

I also want users here to know that the issues that are brought up here are brought to the attention of the PM's and Engineers at DJI. They are aware and it is up to them to act on those issues. I am only Forum Support, not marketing, not service, not product fulfillment, just forum support and that is all.

econfly

It's encouraging to see things improving, though a little frustrating (to be honest) to have endured the months of delay only to have it come out with so many issues. I pre-ordered (my own fault, I'll admit), so I've been out of pocket on this thing since February and I'm still hesitant to trust it. But, like I said, the improvement is encouraging and DJI's product here is so unique (especially for the price) that I expect it will all be worth it eventually.

One way I am thinking of going is to use UHF for flight control (e.g., Dragonlink) while relegating Lightbridge to camera control and HD downlink. Does anyone have an opinion on how this might work out (or how stupid it is)?

Tahoe Ed

It's encouraging to see things improving, though a little frustrating (to be honest) to have endured the months of delay only to have it come out with so many issues. I pre-ordered (my own fault, I'll admit), so I've been out of pocket on this thing since February and I'm still hesitant to trust it. But, like I said, the improvement is encouraging and DJI's product here is so unique (especially for the price) that I expect it will all be worth it eventually.

One way I am thinking of going is to use UHF for flight control (e.g., Dragonlink) while relegating Lightbridge to camera control and HD downlink. Does anyone have an opinion on how this might work out (or how stupid it is)?

econfly,

There should not be an issue. Make sure that you calibrate and map the channels in Lightbridge Assistant and then connect to the gimbal sBus. Assign channels in your gimbal controller. If the gimbal requires individual servo leads then you will need a sBus decoder.

Bartman

Rob,

If you don't need the distance provided by UHF then I can't see why an open UHF signal would be preferable over a digital, discreet link like that provided by modern 2.4 ghz hobby radios.

I'd love to hear the pros and cons (UHF vs. 2.4ghz) regarding their ability to resist interference, it's above my pay grade.

Kilby

Bart, from what I understand, you can not run 2.4 side by side on the same system with Lightbridge. You are supposed to run all your RC (flight and camera) and video through light bridge. The only way around that is to run your RC through another frequency, such as 5.8 (now the Phantom 5.8 RC makes more sense) or UHF. At least that is what I got out of my initial research on the topic. I actually had one on preorder, then thought that might be a bad idea and pulled it. In hindsight, I'm glad I did. They will probably get this product dialed in at some point, but for now, I'll wait on the sidelines and watch. When they do get it dialed it, I think it will be a game changer, especially for the broadcast world.

I stopped supporting this site because of you. You have the right to your opinion but sometimes your opinion is so left field that it's not even worth responding too.

Video's of the Lightbridge?

View attachment 18674

AV test from Z15 to LB.

These are just some of the most recent. There are more on my youtube channel.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-05-23-16-46-14.jpg
    Screenshot_2014-05-23-16-46-14.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 334

For dual setup and full control over the gimbal all you need is an sbus decoder and a y cable coming from the LB transceiver. Put one end to the a2 and the other end to the decoder. Connect the decoder cables to the GCU and you will have a full two man setup running through the LB. Then for 2nd FPV I would suggest a 1.2-1.3 video downlink.

econfly

Rob,

If you don't need the distance provided by UHF then I can't see why an open UHF signal would be preferable over a digital, discreet link like that provided by modern 2.4 ghz hobby radios.

I'd love to hear the pros and cons (UHF vs. 2.4ghz) regarding their ability to resist interference, it's above my pay grade.

I hear you. This is getting complicated and I just started thinking about 433MHz (UHF) radio control yesterday. The upside, from what I can tell, is way way more range than I need while getting me out of the 2.4GHz band that is heavily trafficked by the Lightbridge. To be legit I guess I need a HAM license, but that looks easy enough to pick up, and given the license it's fine to engage in radio control in the 70cm band as long as the radio is operating with 1 watt of power or less (the DragonLink system I am looking at outputs 1/2 watt at the highest power setting).

My plan is to separate flight control from the Lightbridge. The main issue I have with the product is the need to have a physical connection between the flight control radio and the HD display / gimbal control (gimbal control can be on the same radio). I don't want a little phone or tablet mounted to my radio, and I don't want a cord tethering me to my monitor.

Plus, to be honest, the rapidly evolving firmware and complexity of the Lightbridge makes me hesitant to trust it. So if I can use it where it's truly useful (HD video downlink) and avoid it where possible (flight control) that would be my first choice.

So all of that got me thinking that the best solution was to get flight control out of the 2.4GHz band.

I hear you. This is getting complicated and I just started thinking about 433MHz (UHF) radio control yesterday. The upside, from what I can tell, is way way more range than I need while getting me out of the 2.4GHz band that is heavily trafficked by the Lightbridge. To be legit I guess I need a HAM license, but that looks easy enough to pick up, and given the license it's fine to engage in radio control in the 70cm band as long as the radio is operating with 1 watt of power or less (the DragonLink system I am looking at outputs 1/2 watt at the highest power setting).

My plan is to separate flight control from the Lightbridge. The main issue I have with the product is the need to have a physical connection between the flight control radio and the HD display / gimbal control (gimbal control can be on the same radio). I don't want a little phone or tablet mounted to my radio, and I don't want a cord tethering me to my monitor.

Plus, to be honest, the rapidly evolving firmware and complexity of the Lightbridge makes me hesitant to trust it. So if I can use it where it's truly useful (HD video downlink) and avoid it where possible (flight control) that would be my first choice.

So all of that got me thinking that the best solution was to get flight control out of the 2.4GHz band.

I can tell you there are some teething issues with compatibility via hdmi and mobile devices but the control link is solid. Haven't had one single glitch on the control side since Feb. The compatibility is getting better and we have OSD over HDMI, This is a real big plus imho.