DJI F550 Motor's not so good. Need New Ones

OK, I've had my 550 up in the air about 6 times or so. Seems most times I get a twitch or something that causes it to crash. I just dont trust the setup enough to put on my camera and FPV equipment not to mention taking it up more than 10 feet or so. From all the reading I've done I have done the usual fixes. Resolder the bullets, zip tie the wires in, etc.... Either way I think I need to replace the motors unless you all think I'm going down the wrong path? I am using the stock DJI motors. Having said that I need to purchase motors that wont break the bank or make the wife upset.... Was thinking Sunnyskys or even the IPower. Also going to change the props. I want to be able to trust this thing in the air. Maybe it wont be full proof but I cant mount anything on this with the track record so far. PLEASE ADVISE!

Ipowe -
iPower 2217-11 (750kv) motor
sku: IBM-2217-11

Sunnyskys - 750 KV

olof

Osprey
I have 50 or so flights with both my F550 and F450 with no motor problems at all. I have them both set up w/o any soldering other than to the board, I am just using the bullet connectors.

I would check the main board connections, and make sure your RX antennas are at 90 degrees away from wires.

Also put some black tape on the left side of the Naza, this will absolutely help eliminate vertical moves if the sun hits that side of the Naza.

I use 3 cel Lipos 25c 4400's and 6400's and I find the Graupner 10x5 E-props work very well, they have a nice sound are very strong, came needing very little balancing and seem to give me 10% or so longer flight times than the DJI's.

I run a gimbal on the 550 so it is pretty heavy, but I still find it flies great and the motors are just warm after 6 minutes flight time.

I did have a defective Naza once, but DJI replaced it under warranty. That was very obvious the gimbal would swing wildly and the 550 would make sudden lateral moves w/o my input.

I find the Naza 550 to be very solid and well behaved just stock, so there must be a problem with your kit somewhere.

If you ever get up to Mt. Washington Valley NH, bring your 550 and contact me we can compare your setup to mine and maybe find the problem.

View attachment 10771

Attachments

• 550.jpg
    550.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 233

You must have some beatiful stuff to film up there, Nice camera, which one is that? I dont have any solder points either but man I just dont trust this thing. I upload the video of the last flight. It was windy but not that windy for the way this thing acted. Then my GOPRO stopped filming before it went upside down

olof

Osprey
I use a NEX5n and a GoPro Hero2.

Here is some from the 550 and the 450:

Here is some video from the 550:

And here is some from the S800 with Zenmuse:

Last edited by a moderator:

olof

Osprey
Here is the flight that went wron, even though the bad crash wasnt filmed. You can see how wild and out of control this thing ishttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Apa7i87HJMg&feature=youtu.be

OK most of that flight seemed fine. All these MRs oscillate when descending fast, be careful. Work on being really smooth.

Also I would not just take off again right after a hard landing with a tip over. That can confuse the IMU and you should check all the props, connections and arms etc before flying again. At the very least reboot it by unplugging and replugging the battery leave it unplugged for a minute or so before plugging back in.

Also I check the temperature of my motors after every flight, just to make sure they are all about the same temp and only warm not hot.

Flying on the side of a hill in sunny weather you will probably have some turbulence even if the air seems smooth at the surface. And be very smooth descending a little forward movement helps smooth the decent, the turbulence is the dirty air from the props themselves and the non aerodynamic center plates. When you get more confident you can fly hard, but work on being super smooth to start.

My Gimbal on the 550 is a MKTR Pro, it is OK, not great. I use AE warp stabilizer on the footage from the 550 and the 450.

The RailYard shot with my S800 and Zenmuse has no post processing at all, it is a wonderful kit, so smooth even when my flying is a bit rough.

Here is a video of an entire flight with the 450 no gimbal with the Hero2, you will notice the roughness as the MR descends, no post processing on this one except the royalty free music.

Last edited by a moderator:

SMP

Hi Mike,

Sorry mate, using stock DJI motors and Graupner 10's - Even before I moved to the Wire isolators from Breezemont, the hard mounted gopro had FAR less jello...

Have you Balanced Props AND Hubs, ran your fingers across motors for ugly vibes, put black electrical tape on the sides of your naza and are powering up level then not touching the quad for about 45 seconds or so before liftoff???

AEA737

OK, I've had my 550 up in the air about 6 times or so. Seems most times I get a twitch or something that causes it to crash. I just dont trust the setup enough to put on my camera and FPV equipment not to mention taking it up more than 10 feet or so. From all the reading I've done I have done the usual fixes. Resolder the bullets, zip tie the wires in, etc.... Either way I think I need to replace the motors unless you all think I'm going down the wrong path? I am using the stock DJI motors. Having said that I need to purchase motors that wont break the bank or make the wife upset.... Was thinking Sunnyskys or even the IPower. Also going to change the props. I want to be able to trust this thing in the air. Maybe it wont be full proof but I cant mount anything on this with the track record so far. PLEASE ADVISE!

Ipowe -
iPower 2217-11 (750kv) motor
sku: IBM-2217-11

Sunnyskys - 750 KV

What kind of Lipos are you using on your F550?
I started with 3S and it was OK, but when I added a gimbal an FPV switched to 4S and the difference in power is huge. The extra voltage makes the difference. I also switched to Tiger Motors 2216-11. They are ok, but what makes the difference are the 4S Lipos.

Javier