DJI F550/F450 Y6 conversion

What did you end up doing for your Y6? Did you do the F550 conversion? I have an F550 I'm thinking of doing this to.. But probably just leave it a flat 6.

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
Although the Y6 does a little better in winds, if you have a hex that is this small to begin with, I'm not sure you will benefit from the advantage of not seeing the props in view. I'm not 100% sure about that but it looks like the arms need to be a certain length to stay out of frame when pitching forward.

Dewster

What did you end up doing for your Y6? Did you do the F550 conversion? I have an F550 I'm thinking of doing this to.. But probably just leave it a flat 6.

I used a drill, a hack saw, a dremel sander for the Y6 conversion. I was able to use the mounts that came with the Avroto motors and some long screws to get the motors aligned. I had some thin carbon fiber pieces from a Draganflyer that I used to ensure that the mounts were even. It flies great. The WKM will probably fly anything. I have no yaw issues. Flight times took a hit because of the Y6 configuration vs. a flat hexa. I chose this design after prop broke on my flat hexa causing a crash. I wanted something that I could hopefully control in the event of a prop, esc, motor failure/electrical connection failure. Plus I like the look of the Y6. It doesn't fly as fast forward as a flat hexa though.

View attachment 6418View attachment 6419

I've tested RTH (didn't allow it to land by itself yet), and Intelligent Orientation Control. Both work great. I have to use two 6000 mah lipo to achieve a max flight time of 11 minutes. I will purchase 2 4S 5000 lipos for lighter weight and more power to see what flight times I get.

DJI F550
DJI 30 amp ESC
Avroto 2814/11s motors
Graupner 11x5 E-props
Aeroxcraft landing gear
Genesis 6000 mah 3s lipos
Futaba Super 8FG
Gopro Hero 2 hard mounted (until I get another gimbal for my Sony Nex 5n)

Pure fun....

I may convert my Y6 to a flat hexa in the future (since I know what caused my last crash: bad, expensive props). Seeing my flat hexa bite the dust rather violently made me think about the damage these things could cause when they strike something....or someone. Hence...the Y6.... I still have to watch the weight to prevent a crash in the event of a prop/motor etc. loss.

Her name: Raven

Attachments

• DSC02389.jpg
    DSC02389.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 955
  • DSC02384.jpg
    DSC02384.jpg
    119.1 KB · Views: 426

Dewster

do you have a sample video from your Y6?

Here's my video of my Y6 build: Youtube: http://youtu.be/ajcUgabb_Hs

DJI F550 painted black for a uniform color. F550 arms modified (hacked) to fit Avrotor 2814/11s motors.
Aeroxcraft landing gear
DJI 30 amp opto esc
Photoshipone power distribution board (for more connectivity).
Xaircraft dome
DJI WKM flight controller (survived one bad crash - flat hexa lost a prop - WKM survived)
2 x 6000 mah 3S lipos for a 9-11 minute flight time (11 mins max hover flight time).
Gopro Hero 2 hard mounted until I get a reasonable light weight gimbal.
Graupner 11x5 inch E-props (I love these props! They are quieter)

It's not as floaty as my flat hexa was. Of course less efficient because of the motor configuration of a Y6.

I tested RTH a couple of times. I didn't let it land out of fear of a tip over damaging props. I also tested RTH in windy conditions. My Y6 struggled (like I'm sure my flat hexa would have) and flew 45 degrees off of home heading during the slow trek back (head wind). It tracked on a direct heading home, but it was pointed 45 degrees off due to the wind. I retook control once the craft was close to home and position and landed it in GPS mode. I didn't have a problem flying it myself in the wind.

This video is a short one until I get more build pictures assembled. I have to adjust to gains to smooth out the flight transitions. I get crisp response when I let go of the sticks. So that makes for a little abrupt videos unless I go easy on the sticks.

Let me know what you think. Ideas/Suggestions

Your Y6 looks awesome man... Very nice job.. I'd like to see exactly how you mounted the motors on the arms if you don't mind... Maybe a F450 as an X8?

OK! just an idea, maybe someone could explain to me if this would work or not... but what IF!! What if on a F450 frame, you wired 2 speed controllers to each power port for the arms instead of just one, and set up naza as a quad. Make sure motors rotate the right way, would it fly?

EDIT: lol nevermind, I see why this wouldn't work now.. Only 6 speed controller outputs on naza. But maybe for WKM?

Last edited by a moderator: