Dji f450 battery size????

Been flying these for close to two yrs now, doing aerial photography. Current setup is gopro 3 , lawmate 2.4, and I fly with a small ccd cam and use gopro just to record...currently running a 3s 3600mah battery and was wondering whats the most mah others have used with similar setup...trying to increase my flight time as SWAT wants me to do eyes in the sky stuff for them...I am using default low voltage settings in the assistant (fyi) Any advise would be awesome and much appreciated...Thank you...:)

jjboy

i used 3s 5000 or 4s 5000mah.
and used dji-1038 Propeller with my gopro
battery setting 11.3-1.00v or 15v-1v。

I have two 4S 4000mah, but that is not recommended for 10" props which I switched to in March.
So now I have two 3S 2700mah for simple flying and no camera or gimbal, but then use 3S 6000mah for when I want longer flying time and with camera and gimbal attached.

3s, 6000 must be with the 8 inch props too? and what does that give u for flight time? and where did u get ur batterys I haven't found any that big....

eyeball

Ive been flying my original pre release with standard motors F450's virtually every day since and she's still going strong..im running a 5000 4s on Dji 10" new props Alexmos brushless 2 Axis gimbal, Extended legs with 5.8 vtx, lights and batt alarms all onboard and I get 13 minutes flight time. She a little cracker!!:)

With the gimbal and video Tx, I get about 6 minutes with the 3s 2700mah, and 12 minutes with the 4s 4000mah, and 15 minutes with the 3s 6000mah. If I take off the gimbal and vTx, I can make the 2700mah batteries last 12+ minutes.

Eyeball, glad to hear that you're doing well with 4s and 10" props. I guess I had just read and been advised by a few people not to use higher voltage batteries (i.e. 4s) with 10" props. What I was told is that it's hard on the motors and will overheat them and fail them. But it sounds like you haven't had those problems.

Dewster

I used a 3S 6000 mah battery with 8 inch APC props and got 9 minutes of flight time with Avroto 2814/11s motors. I'm sure I could achieve longer flight time with different props.

eyeball

With the gimbal and video Tx, I get about 6 minutes with the 3s 2700mah, and 12 minutes with the 4s 4000mah, and 15 minutes with the 3s 6000mah. If I take off the gimbal and vTx, I can make the 2700mah batteries last 12+ minutes.

Eyeball, glad to hear that you're doing well with 4s and 10" props. I guess I had just read and been advised by a few people not to use higher voltage batteries (i.e. 4s) with 10" props. What I was told is that it's hard on the motors and will overheat them and fail them. But it sounds like you haven't had those problems.
ProPilot, to be honest I wouldn't really recommend 4s with 10" props to anybody as it is harder on the motors but if you fly smoothly and no hard pull outs/descents or fast flight and you should be ok..and this little F450 is my test bed for the new pieces of equipment/toys that come in to the MR market. So she's kind of disposable...but shhhushhh don't let her hear that!!:)

Good! That's consistent with was others had told me. I wasn't planning on switching... I've already built up my collection of 3S nano-techs, so I'm good. Thanks for clarifying!

load or no load?

i used 3s 5000 or 4s 5000mah.
and used dji-1038 Propeller with my gopro
battery setting 11.3-1.00v or 15v-1v。

Hey is that the no load setting or loaded setting in the dji assistant there is a little confusion....do u enter those numbers in the no load box or should those be the final loaded voltages? thanks bud

Zeke

On my F450 I'll run either a 3s turnigy nano 2650 or a regular turnigy 5000. When using the quad for fun only fpv and no GoPro is attached, I get about 14 minutes with the small and around 25 minutes with the large one. When I attach the GoPro Hero 3, it drops to about 10 and 20 minutes respectively. Running 10" props.

on ur battery settings, do u enter the 11.3 in the no load box? or is that the final loaded setting? and also when u entered those did the writing turn red in color due to dropping down below the defaults?

tamulmol

On my F450 I'll run either a 3s turnigy nano 2650 or a regular turnigy 5000. When using the quad for fun only fpv and no GoPro is attached, I get about 14 minutes with the small and around 25 minutes with the large one. When I attach the GoPro Hero 3, it drops to about 10 and 20 minutes respectively. Running 10" props.
You get 20mins on 3s 5000 with gopro? I only get around 10mins :(

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
on ur battery settings, do u enter the 11.3 in the no load box? or is that the final loaded setting? and also when u entered those did the writing turn red in color due to dropping down below the defaults?

Woe there cowboy. The red simply means that you haven't written the figures to the FC. Press the write button! You can leave the load figure on default but change the big voltage. I only worry about the last number. Mines low ( about 3.3v per cell under load) which will only kick in if something is seriously wrong with the lipo. I use a timer and a current sensor/OSD to more accurately determine remaining flight time in flight. My lipos come back at 3.75 - 3.8v per cell.

Hope this helps.

I use a timer and a current sensor/OSD to more accurately determine remaining flight time in flight.
I'm still learning how to best manage flight time and I've been going more by the red light and voltage. Can you explain how monitoring amperage helps determine remaining flight? What symptoms does it reflect when getting low?

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I find the flight time by starting with a low figure, say 4 mins and hovering. See how many mah you put back into your lipo in the charger. Increase flight time each flight until you're putting back in about 80% of the total mah listed on your lipo. I have 4S 5000mah lipos and put back in 4000mah. This gives me a flight time of 10mins. I have my timer set to 9mins which gives me 1min to get home.

The beauty of the current sensor is it displays how much mah you've pulled out if your lipo during flight and displays it on an overly(OSD) on my Fatshark goggles. That means if I've been flying gently and have only used 3000mah I can keep flying until I've used 4000mah. The OSD (On Screen Display) also shows lipo voltage, current draw, height, altitude, speed and direction to home. Pretty cool, huh?

Most of that is for later. Be gentle to your credit card unlike me.

I see! I had not understood battery management that way. Sadly, my OSD (DJI) doesn't have a current usage meter, so that's why I've had to stick to voltage monitoring and the Naza/WKM LED on my MRs.

Oh, and I just noticed my charger (Hyperion) doesn't measure the amount of mah input into a battery.

Last edited by a moderator: