Dji F330 - H

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
-H for Hoverfly Sport flight controller! I like the 330mm frame size for aerobatic flying and general bashing around the sky, I've been having fun with the F450 with Naza controller but it's a bit too big and the Naza a little too slow for really tearing it up so I decided to give this combination a try since I already had the Sport board and the LHS had the F330 kits on the shelf...

DSC00019a.jpg

DSC00020a.jpg

DSC00022a.jpg

The basic frame, motors, and speed controllers are all standard F330 kit contents, the flight controller a Hoverfly Sport setup in Expert mode, Graupner 9 x 5 props, a CC BEC providing power for the electronics since the DJI ESCs are opto versions with no internal BEC, and a Spektrum AR 6115e RX. The maiden flight was using 8 x 5 Graupner props and a battery mounted on the top of the frame, not particularly steady and uninspiring performance. Swapped the battery to the bottom to be able to use the 9 inch props which fit but just barely. Made some changes to the gain setting on the Hoverfly board and setup 3 flight modes on the TX from a mild 40% expo with 80% travel to no expo and 100% travel.

Second flight was significantly better than the first, the change in balance as well the bigger props were just what it needed, I was able to dial up the gain and get nice smooth flight in high expo flight mode and absolutely crazy reponse in no expo mode, this thing rocks with the current setup!

I've managed to get a half dozen flights on it this morning but it's starting to rain so that's it for the day unfortunately, I'm dying to get this thing to a big field where I can let it rip and see how it compares to my 330mm KK based aerobatic quads. I have a feeling with some open space and in the no expo flight mode this quad is going to be a little rocketship that flips, loops, and rolls with ease, too bad I'll have to wait for a better day to find out!

One thing I know for certain, this setup is not for beginners, don't even think of setting one up this way unless you're 100% comfortable with all orientations and extremely fast changes to orientation, I've never had a quad that yaws as crazy fast as this thing does...:joyous:

Ken

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Them props look proper close Ken.. keep us informed Id love to build a little rocket ship like that

Dave

combatxe2

Hi Ken
Im running the same frame but have gone down a different route with motors FC and ESC's. Im running a version of multi Wii and copied warthox motor and esc setup from his web site by using Keda motors (cheap and cheerful) and Hobbywing ESC also cheap and cheerful.
i love the way this thing flys, its now my fave sport frame to fly with. It also takes one hell of a beating as ive had a few fast arrivals after miss-judging a low flip or two. :0)
Only broken a couple of props so far. I too found that mounting the battery low was much better for stability but i hate the way the battery extends beyond the landing gear.
I have thought about putting the FC ontop and battery in the frame but havent tried it yet.
Must admit i like the look of the Hoverfly sport board, i keep looking at the Nazza but im sure the hoverfly offers more for the money, as you have both whats your thoughts?
Oh and on the plus side the F330 fits straight in my Rucksack with the DX7 so it can travel on the Bike no problems.
Cheers
Mark

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Them props look proper close Ken.. keep us informed Id love to build a little rocket ship like that

Dave

Yeah, they are! I think maybe a 1/4 inch between the tips at the closest point, no way could it be flown with a battery on top with these props not hitting the battery or the power leads. I think eventually it will get better motors, performs well with the stock DJI but would have a lot more POP to it with maybe a bit higher KV rating. I usually run 1200 to 1350kv motors on the aerobatic quads and would have done so on this one had I been able to get just the frame without the DJI electronics, but since it had all that stuff I figured I might as well use it. I asked the owner of the LHS to get me a bare F330 frame, he's working on that as well as spare parts, I have a feeling I'll be needing some spare arms for this one ;)

Ken

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Hi Ken
Im running the same frame but have gone down a different route with motors FC and ESC's. Im running a version of multi Wii and copied warthox motor and esc setup from his web site by using Keda motors (cheap and cheerful) and Hobbywing ESC also cheap and cheerful.
i love the way this thing flys, its now my fave sport frame to fly with. It also takes one hell of a beating as ive had a few fast arrivals after miss-judging a low flip or two. :0)
Only broken a couple of props so far. I too found that mounting the battery low was much better for stability but i hate the way the battery extends beyond the landing gear.
I have thought about putting the FC ontop and battery in the frame but havent tried it yet.
Must admit i like the look of the Hoverfly sport board, i keep looking at the Nazza but im sure the hoverfly offers more for the money, as you have both whats your thoughts?
Oh and on the plus side the F330 fits straight in my Rucksack with the DX7 so it can travel on the Bike no problems.
Cheers
Mark

On my other 330mm aerobatic quads I hang the battery just as it is on the F330 and I've driven those into the ground in some rather spectacular ways including a splash landing in the brook that flows through the flying field, have yet to have a problem with the battery being damaged on the underside. Matter of fact a couple times it got slung off in the crash and at least once fully disconnected so maybe having it mounted that way is a good thing...? If I were certain it wouldn't adversely effect the strength of the arm I might cut the landing legs completely off for a little less aerodynamic drag and let it takeoff and land on the battery as I do with the other 330 quads in my fleet.

IMG_1774a.jpg

As for the Naza vs the Hoverfly Sport, if you want stability with the extra features of autoleveling and altitude hold then no question the Naza is the way to go, I may build another one of these with a Naza as close quarters FPV quad. If all out lightning response and aerobatic ability is the goal then you're better off with the Hoverfly which has the added benefit of being able to be setup in three modes, AP, Sport, and Expert. I had this board setup in AP mode on another frame and the stability is impressive for a controller that has no autoleveling built in but it doesn't come close to matching the Naza's autolevel ability.

Price wise they're about the same so it's really a matter of which one fits the intended use, I can see myself having two of the same frame setup with one of each controller and using the current one for sky bashing and the other with Naza for FPV through the trees and in small fields.

Ken

combatxe2

On my other 330mm aerobatic quads I hang the battery just as it is on the F330 and I've driven those into the ground in some rather spectacular ways including a splash landing in the brook that flows through the flying field, have yet to have a problem with the battery being damaged on the underside. Matter of fact a couple times it got slung off in the crash and at least once fully disconnected so maybe having it mounted that way is a good thing...? If I were certain it wouldn't adversely effect the strength of the arm I might cut the landing legs completely off for a little less aerodynamic drag and let it takeoff and land on the battery as I do with the other 330 quads in my fleet.

IMG_1774a.jpg

As for the Naza vs the Hoverfly Sport, if you want stability with the extra features of autoleveling and altitude hold then no question the Naza is the way to go, I may build another one of these with a Naza as close quarters FPV quad. If all out lightning response and aerobatic ability is the goal then you're better off with the Hoverfly which has the added benefit of being able to be setup in three modes, AP, Sport, and Expert. I had this board setup in AP mode on another frame and the stability is impressive for a controller that has no autoleveling built in but it doesn't come close to matching the Naza's autolevel ability.

Price wise they're about the same so it's really a matter of which one fits the intended use, I can see myself having two of the same frame setup with one of each controller and using the current one for sky bashing and the other with Naza for FPV through the trees and in small fields.

Ken[/QUOTE

Thanks for the info Ken, Glad someone else likes the smaller frames, problem here in the UK at the moment is the weather, has been windy and wet for weeks now.
Did take the 330 out on a windy day and was impressed at how it handled it. think ill do the same and just land on the battery as it is alot more stable without the weight high up on topI hope to get some videos up soon ill post a link, just uploading some MQX vids with some stunts using the std tranny, thought id mention as i see you also have one of these little fun machines.
Cheers
Mark

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Quick update, the other day I took it out back after the rain stopped, powered up, took off and within a minute it leaned to the right rear and did a lazy drop to the dirt! Broke one of the 9 inch Graupners but that was it, swapped the props for the set of 8 inch and went back out later in the day. It just doesn't fly the same with the smaller props, amazing the difference that 1 inch can make. I tried changing the gain both up and down and even went as far as hanging one of my 4S 5000 packs on it, still had the wobbles and didn't fly well plus I think the weight difference negated any performance increase I might have otherwise seen.

So I dug out the spare 9 inch props and drilled the center hole out to 8mm then swapped back to the larger props, set the gain back to where it was and everything is back to "normal". No clue why it randomly just decided to take a dirt nap and as much as I hate to say it it's not at all surprising for a Hoverfly flight controller in my experience, I've had it happen way too many times with the H/F Pro board.

Anyway, I've put a few packs flight time on it since with no repeat behavior but now I'm just a bit concerned that it could happen again at any time without warning, just have to fly it and see how it goes I guess.

Ken