Dji datalink

Dreamweaver

Yeah definitely something wrong mines real smooth even in wind.

Check compass calibration and your mounting measurements in assistant.

As for the signal i see you got the 2.4G kit...may want to look into shielding it from the TX signal.

But first do you have both USBs on the lead plugged in?....may be youre not getting the full power?....move laptop datalink away from tx a little.

What does the GPS signal meter (bars) read when youre flying v when you loose control? (bottom left on GCS screen).

Kilby

Everything looks great like GPS level etc. I'm suspicious of my mounting measurements. Let me ask you a stupid question... which way is negative for the offset numbers? If I have my GPS dead center, but 10 cm above the COG, is that a z-index rating of 10, or -10?

It's possible that I have them all backwards, now that I'm looking at it. If so, i'm sure that could cause this problem. Fingers crossed it's something so simple.

-Terry

BTW.. thanks for all the help on this Dreamweaver. Lord knows I needed it! ;-)

Dreamweaver

Negative....see the assistant diagram.

Green = NEG and red = POS.

wkmmounting.jpg

Kilby

Damn it, I knew that and somehow still got it backwards. I suppose that was the problem. Both Z index settings were backwards. I'm surprised I was able to hover at all!

Thanks. I'll have another go at it tomorrow, but I suspect this one will work much better.

-Terry

5 weeks waiting for a serial number

how about that, can't seem to get anyone from DJI to provide me with a serial number that would allow me to use the 900mhz data link I bought from them.

Dreamweaver

Did you buy direct from dji?

If no, then its the dealers responsibility ....whos the dealer ?....how many emails have you sent?....how many business days have you been waiting?

direct from DJI, more than I can count, I sent the 1st request weeks ago--I've buried them with emails in the last week and paid for the 900 1st week of June.

Dreamweaver

Well then....i would try contacting any of their main dealers in your country which can be found on DJI's website i believe.

terry.one

Andrew, we received your first email on 30th,July and responded at the same day. Since you said you bought directly from DJI, pls provide which sales rep did you buy from and order number so I can help tracking and provide SN as soon as possible.
But if you bought from dealer, the dealer should get the SN for you. Let me know the dealer name in that case. Thank you.

Terry from DJI HQ

Terry.One

my first email to DJI requesting the new serial number to activate Ground Station was sent on June 8, 2012. I let it go for a while because my S800 was deemed unsafe to fly by DJI. I have purchased every DJI product I own directfrom DJI.

It sounds like someone is working on it now, I'm still confused as to why there is any delay and why DJI wouldn't automatically provide a data link serial serial number when the equipment requiring one is purchased?

I like your products but I think I speak for many when I say communication and customer service need imprivement.

Tahoe Ed

Andrew, DJI needs the hardware ID to supply the new S/N. I had a delay getting mine when I transposed a number on the ID and the new S/N did not work. It was easily correctable, it just took some extra time and emails. In your original email to DJI did you give them the ID or did you not know that it was a required step. I did not know that when I ordered mine and it is something that DJI should address in the order process for the Data Link. I hope you get yours up and running soon. Just an FYI, make sure that you separate the Ground Station and the Flight unit by about 6 meters or you may not get a handshake between units.

Dreamweaver

Terry from DJI HQ

Hi,

Could you answer a few questions regarding the datalink/GCS?

At what upgrade level (1,5 or50 WPs)
1) Is the automated POI function available?
2) Is the FPV PIP window available?
3) Does the 5 WP software have collision warning via red WP lines?
4) Does the 5 and 50 WP software cache the maps in the mission files?

General
1) Can you d/l an alternate maps plugin that has feet oppose to meters?...will the programming adjust?
2) Can you adjust the rate of climb?....seems really slow.
3) Any plans for a voltage light status by the live voltage?...also the big flashing warnings are hard to read....a scrolling message at bottom would be better imo.

I'll stop there :)

Thanks in advance, Mike

terry.one

Hi,

Could you answer a few questions regarding the datalink/GCS?

At what upgrade level (1,5 or50 WPs)
1) Is the automated POI function available?
2) Is the FPV PIP window available?
3) Does the 5 WP software have collision warning via red WP lines?
4) Does the 5 and 50 WP software cache the maps in the mission files?

General
1) Can you d/l an alternate maps plugin that has feet oppose to meters?...will the programming adjust?
2) Can you adjust the rate of climb?....seems really slow.
3) Any plans for a voltage light status by the live voltage?...also the big flashing warnings are hard to read....a scrolling message at bottom would be better imo.

I'll stop there :)

Thanks in advance, Mike

@Dreamweaver
You're welcome and thank you for helping the users with their problems.

1. Not available now. Working on it. Should be on 5 WP.
2. If you mean FPV video overlap on GCS, not sure, will consider that.
3.Yes, but it's for reference only. The map is not uptodate.
4.Yes

1.We have plan to add this.
2.Can be adjusted from GCS.
3.Voltage is displayed at the bottom side of GCS. As per flashing warning, we make it eye catching since it is very important. It will disappear if you follow what it said.

Dreamweaver

@Dreamweaver
You're welcome and thank you for helping the users with their problems.

1. Not available now. Working on it. Should be on 5 WP.
2. If you mean FPV video overlap on GCS, not sure, will consider that.
3.Yes, but it's for reference only. The map is not uptodate.
4.Yes

1.We have plan to add this.
2.Can be adjusted from GCS.
3.Voltage is displayed at the bottom side of GCS. As per flashing warning, we make it eye catching since it is very important. It will disappear if you follow what it said.

1) Cool.
2) I thought i saw one of your BVR videos (which might have been the ACE version) with a PIP window on the GCS screen from the FPV cam....great vid btw.
3) Understood...just checking before i upgrade.
4) Just to confirm...it cache's the google map as well as the mission plan?

1) Great.
2) Where do you adjust the rate of climb?
3) The message flashes too fast so its hard to read in the field.

Some more for you :)

a) Any chance of making another instrument board like #2 but goes vertically which could snap to left margin?
b) Any plans to do a profile/section window of the route?...would help greatly with elevation fine tuning and collison avoidance....maybe with a drag and drop line for elevation?
c) Will you be offering a windows 8 GCS version that is fully compatible with just a tablet?...if yes...set routes by just drawing on screen?
d) Is there any update on the 'follow me' feature and how it might work?
e) Is the new DJI TX just going to be for gimbal control or will it be dual mode for quad control as well?

Will fly again tonight and post up some more vids...my YT site is in sig below fyi.

~
Mike

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreamweaver

Operator error...again!!!

Well as my elevation mode has been reading wrong by 60m and the height adjustment feature doesn't seem to do anything i have been using the height mode.

This combined with making on the fly decisions (pun intended)...lead to operator error and me flying $2K of quad into a mountain...again.

The pre-mission notes whilst motors cool from previous flight.

2012-08-05_14-23-42_314.jpg

The GCS screen....note the 100 not 120 typed in.

m3.jpg

The quad is ok...apart from 4 graupners...this makes 12 in a month...*sigh*

2012-08-05_14-29-18_226.jpg

...but the real kicker is the one week old JVC.

2012-08-05_14-30-55_390.jpg

Well its time for FPV so that i can watch whats going on.

@ TERRY from DJI.

Need an emergency motor cutoff in the GCS software..as after a 30 min hike some of mine were still spinning...which made for and interesting task of unplugging the battery plug.

Oh yeah...when emergency cutoff is used a locating buzzer would be a nice touch.

Video to follow.

~Mike

Dreamweaver

Yeah sucks...but it was my fault the DJI height numbers were spot on.

However if the elevation mode was working either via correct calibration or adjustment then it would be much easier to use CNG...as if you triple checks you math you'd end up hovering for a minute at each stop and the distance you can cover gets cut it half.

A profile/section window would also speed this up.

Also not being able to adjust the rate of climb in single WP version sucks...i think its stuck at 1.5m/s...which if you fly 'fast' 8-10m/s all the elevation climb happens at the end of the WP which means elevation changes require a lot of attenion.

~Mike

not done my test yet.....

Oh mate..... thats just horrible.....

I have just set up my DJI view but i have not done a test yet. To be honest, i have no idea how to test it or even how to program it.... any advice on first test and programing?
im crapping myself as not only is the hexcopter some big £££, so is the camera.... Anyone anywhere near Cambridge UK how can help me??

regards
david