DJI 2212 motor stutters

jackmulti

I got a brand new F450 kit and finally managed to get the NAZA controller programmed. The problem is that after initialization I increase the throttle but one of the motors does not spin but instead just stutters.

I connected the motor to other ESCs and connected the ESC directly into the receiver bypassing the NAZA but it still does the same thing.

Is there anything that can be done to fix it? or is it a manufacturing defect, in which case I would like to ask if this the norm with DJI...

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
I got a brand new F450 kit and finally managed to get the NAZA controller programmed. The problem is that after initialization I increase the throttle but one of the motors does not spin but instead just stutters.

I connected the motor to other ESCs and connected the ESC directly into the receiver bypassing the NAZA but it still does the same thing.

Is there anything that can be done to fix it? or is it a manufacturing defect, in which case I would like to ask if this the norm with DJI...

What you're seeing is one of the phases is not working, the motor needs all three to start up. Either one of the connectors has a cold solder joint or the wire is broken on one set of windings. You can try wiggling the wires where they go into the connector from the motor to see if it will spin but do it with props off and don't leave it that way for long as it can easily burn up the FETs in the ESC trying to start the motor. I would get in touch with the dealer you bought it from and see if they have a spare motor to send, if you try to fix it they may not honor the warranty. This is the first problem I've heard of with these motors so I wouldn't say it's the norm at all, you were just unlucky enough to get a bad one.

Ken

jackmulti

Thanks for your reply and explanation. Much appreciated.

I'll follow your advice and send it back for warranty. Even if I got it going I would not feel comfortable entrusting all my FPV gear to a hacked motor.

I choose DJI because of it's high quality reputation... very unfortunate and unlucky...

kloner

Aerial DP
That is usually at the bullet connector. the dji motors have 2 insulating covers on the wire so it is deceiving cause the wire doesn't just come apart from the connector. i finally had one let loose the other day out of nowhere. in my case, when i wiggled the three wires at the esc, the one was noticeably "less connected" feeling than the other two,,,, the heat shrink likes to hold that thick insulator and hide the problem

jackmulti

Thanks Kloner,

I'll remove one wire from the esc at a time to see which one it is. Then I'll look at the bullet in detail and see if it is an easy fix.

Thanks again.

jackmulti

Well, no joy. I removed pole by pole and every single one of them had the same effect of making the stutter even worse. The problem with the motor is somewhere else.

Justin Pucci

Hey all,

I have this same issue on my F450 on one motor and I just finished building and maidening my F550 yesterday evening and it's got it on and off with two motors! Definitely frustrating, to say the least...

I thought at first that it was the motor too, but I did motor swaps on the F450 and found that the problem actually follows the ESC. So now I'm stuck with three bad ESC/motor combos between the F450 and F550. If I pump the throttle a few times, mine always kick back into normal operation, so it's flyable. That having been said, I'm more than a little uncomfortable putting all of my FPV and AP stuff on these guys when my ESC could decide to stop working mid-flight.

I'm going to be returning the bad one on the F450 first to make sure that a new ESC fixes it and then I'll report back. I also have a spare ESC that I bought because I suspected that I'd have this problem again and wanted to be able to test it out before going through the entire return process with the dealer. I'll report back with my findings.

Cheers,
-->Justin

PS ...First post! ;)

seagee

Hi all,

I had a similar experience a couple of days ago with one of six of the 2215 motors received with my new F550 kit. On first startup after assembly, the motor stuttered. It is interesting to note that when I applied power the motor eventually spun up and I managed a 12 minute flight (F550, 3S 5000Mah, no additional load). On landing I found the motors were all very hot but the ESCs were cool. I conclude that the other motors were having to compensate for the lazy one. I switched the stuttering motor to different booms / ESCs and the problem followed the motor. I have returned it to my dealer and am awaiting a replacement.

jackmulti

mine always kick back into normal operation, so it's flyable

Seems like a plague!

Anyways, I would not recommend flying it in any circumstance! My KK quad with HK motors had similar issues with one motor which eventually started working (sort of...) I had two very successful flights but at the end of the third the motor stuttered and the quad capsized. Hard to see the results...

chipwich

Greetings,

I just finished an F550 build, got in two good flights, and then on flight three, my #1 motor went tango uniform with the stutters. I swapped it with #3 and the problem followed the motor, so I assume that it is the motor. My dealer concurs. He is shipping a replacement. FWIW, if it were the bullet connector, wouldn't the symptom be more either on or off, not a steady stutter that does not change regardless of the throttle input?

Running a 4S 6000 pack, 8" props, and AeroXcraft landing gear/GoPro gimbal.

jackmulti

Greetings,

I just finished an F550 build, got in two good flights, and then on flight three, my #1 motor went tango uniform with the stutters. I swapped it with #3 and the problem followed the motor, so I assume that it is the motor. My dealer concurs. He is shipping a replacement. FWIW, if it were the bullet connector, wouldn't the symptom be more either on or off, not a steady stutter that does not change regardless of the throttle input?
Running a 4S 6000 pack, 8" props, and AeroXcraft landing gear/GoPro gimbal.

I don't think it has anything to do with the bullet connectors themselves. My guess is that there is an internal connection on one of the motor windings that went bad, meaning that the motor is always operating on only two instead of the three windings.

seagee

With mine I concluded that this was an intermittent loss of connection. Replacing the motor solved the problem and I've had many trouble free flights with the 2215 motors since replacing. Incidentally I experienced a similar issue with a 2212 and again replacing the motor resolved the issue.
Colin

seagee

Since this happened to me at first test I didn't remove the insulation to investigate further as this was clearly covered by warranty. Our local distributor is pretty good about replacing on both occasions.