Diving Copter...ideal rig for kloner

ChrisViperM

Running brushless motors under water is no problem. Check this vid and read the comments on the vids Youtube site:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdlsQhqXlw8

However it's not that simple....obviously some parts of the motors (bearings, contacts, etc...) could be affected in the longer run. Most of it is covered in the Youtube Comments section of that vid.
I guess the idea is not to dump the copter on porpose all the time under water, but I see it more as a sleek safety feature if you fly a lot over water.

When we were in our RC-car madness, we used to make the motors and ESC's waterproof (mainly Crawlers and Monster Trucks) in order to drive in snow or rain puddles, and never had a problem. You could also make the motors from this copter waterproof (some people even dunk parts of the motor in Epoxy and machine it down...) , take ceramic bearings and use a lot of liquid electrical tape, the question is just if it's worth the efford.

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Awesome! I love it! Just what I've been looking for. Thanks guys!

I have lots of opportunity to fly over water, and would like the peace of mind. My current quad has already been in the lake once. Heck, even if it wasn't waterproof, I think it's a great frame design!

Last edited by a moderator:

mailman35

there was a thread over on rcg about a build your own waterproof quad/hex/etc. it pretty much isolated all the electronics to the inside of the frame, and puts a watertight seal around it.

kloner

Aerial DP
that's what you need for hawaii dude.... swim out there when the naza takes it for a joyride, hahaha

does underwater shots, see em.... yuris snorkeling vids from the beach with a drink in one hand

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I dont think Im gonna get one of these by the time I leave for Hawaii though. Next time. I'm gonna call my quad "Wilson." :)

DucktileMedia

Drone Enthusiast
I'm leaving monday but as we all know there is more than just the physical building, I would need time to tune, balance, FPV it, pack it. Just too much for fun only. I appreciate the offer though. where are you guys? And how do you deal with battery installation/ turning on/off? I like your product and hope you guys do well with it. I know setting up for a mold like this is not cheap.