Discivery pro camera fpv question

ApexUAV

Hey guys. I was wondering why I don't see anyone using the gopro on the tbs disco pro as the main fpv cam? It would save weight and eliminate the need for someone else to control the gimbal. Any thoughts?

Many people telling about issues with go pro as main fpv camera example it shuts of... Having the camera on a gimbal you can't tell how the multi rotor is tilting etc. I tred it out today just to see and it is more guessing then actually controlling it. Ok now I now my rotor well so it went fairly well. But would not Telly on it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ApexUAV

I have been using my gopro as my main cam on my f450 for 6months without a single hiccup. I was thinking if I flew the disco pro on atti mode with the naza that fpv through the gopro would be possible.

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
You can do it, I switch between cams on my TBS Discovery Pro but prefer mostly flying using the FPV cam rather than the GoPro, I find the GoPro is too dark and it takes more effort to see the important things on screen, the FPV cam is full adjustable for brightness and contrast, etc so you can set it up how you prefer, you can't do that on the GoPro.

Pete

ApexUAV

Thanks for the reply Pete. Off topic question, well somewhat, but can you use the stock Dji motors and esc's for the pro or should I get the TBS motors ans esc's? What size battery does everyone run? 4s 5000mah give good flight time? Thanks guys!

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
I am using BirdDog 900kv 2212-13 motors on my Disco and Disco Pro with TBS 30A ESC's on the Disco and 30A Afro's on the Disco Pro, I think the lower power of the DJI motors would not be as good but others may be using them okay, I have never used a DJI motor due to the crappy mounting for props.

I get 9 minutes on 3000mh 35C and 10-11 minutes on 3700mh 35C packs, my all up weight is 1600-1700 grams depending on the pack used, I have some 4500mh 35C packs coming that should give a bit more flight time.

Pete

kloner

Aerial DP
it is really hard to fly through a stabilized cam like if you used the gopro for the main flight cam. The idea is to fly through the main cam, switch over to the gopro to frame the shot, fly through it for a bit if you want, but to flip back to the hard mounted cam to fly. Sometimes naza is half rolled to the side and you wouldn't know to correct it, makes for smooth flying

jcs

it is really hard to fly through a stabilized cam like if you used the gopro for the main flight cam. The idea is to fly through the main cam, switch over to the gopro to frame the shot, fly through it for a bit if you want, but to flip back to the hard mounted cam to fly. Sometimes naza is half rolled to the side and you wouldn't know to correct it, makes for smooth flying

wow, i did not think of this issue with using a gimbal mounted cam for dedicated fpv. i figured it would make for less of a dizzying feel to have the camera steady on a gimbal, i didnt think of the drawback. What do you need to have in order to switch the view from a dedicated fpv camera to a gimbal mounted cam inside the goggles...

FWIW i currently have the dji RC system on my f450 e300 naza m v2 gps. i was looking at the new dx6, but reallylike the single wire hookup simplicity of the dji gear. can i use the dji or new dx6 radio for both a fpv cam and a gimbal cam, or do i need more channels/ switches?

i was also looking at the tbs disco fram and core system anyone have feedback on these? the core system seems ingenious to keep wiring simple and short.

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
i don't know about the new dx6 but i'm guessing your saying it has a one wire now like sbus? i haven't seen a setting in naza to use it yet so make sure it works at al

yea, it takes a 8 channel to switch cams on a disco using a remote gain and tilt control.....

even on sbus, it takes 2 wires to run a full disco pro, sbus or ppm and you need a seperate channel split off for cam control

20140208184216-b7cc3ae5-la.jpg

jcs

Thanks kloner. Appreciate the info. I must have been unclear, I have the dji radio/rx system which is sbus. The new dx6 is not sbus afaik. So an 8 channel min would be my radio upgrade path, ok - check.

I guess I will start w just a CMOS fpv cam for now. Still researching, this is all just for fun.