Diagnosis: Bad ESC? Bad Motor?

janoots2

Having an issue with one of my motors/ESC. When I power up the motors, my M5 acts sporadically. Sometimes it powers up full, sometimes it starts weak and then powers up full, other times it struggles the whole time and never reaches full power. I made a quick video below - you'll see the weak start up on the first try, all the other are full power ups.

I've tugged and pushed on all my soldering joints and it's still sporadic, so I don't believe it's a joint (but not ruling it out).
Bad ESC? Bad motor? Timing off on ESC and need to reprogram again for some reason? :dejection:

Last edited by a moderator:

kloner

Aerial DP
it is usually something in the esc, the bullet connector (solder joints) or the actual connection where the wire hits the winding inside. the bullet is notorious for this, but until it's figured out that motor can shut off at anytime so be careful

what are all your timing and other settings on in the maytags? maybe that'll make one of these guys running these notice something

janoots2

Thanks Kloner, I have them programmed with the following settings:

Batt: NiMH
Governor mode: RPM Off
Start: Soft
Brake: Off
Timing: High 22-30
Rotation: Depends on motor
Cut off volg: 3. Ov/60%
Cut off Power: Reduce

I think my plan of attack with be:
1. Replace my bullet connections with wire to wire solder connections. Hopefully it will be that simple and I've been meaning to do this to reduce some weight and increase reliability anyway
2. Try a new motor - so I don't have to tear my frame down in order to access my power distribution board
3. Try a new ESC

janoots2

Solved this tonight. Checked my soldering and bullets, they were fine. Still followed the plan and direct soldered ESC to motor, same problem so proceeded to switch out the motor. Turns out the motor was the problem and not the ESC.....soooo....if anyone wants to know what an Avroto looks like malfunctioning, take a peek at the video below:

Not sure what the problem is with the motor however...anybody have any ideas what it could be? Can it be fixed? Most likely I'll keep it for parts, won't trust it now.

kloner

Aerial DP
if it was for sure never crashed, it is usually the wires where they hit the winding, there either is a cracked one along the way or inside it is shorting/broken. if you use a continuity tester and poke around, you might find it fast..... crashed motors knock magnets off or out of cycle. theres a zillion things to ruin your day, but when they work, nothings better eh.