Developing FPV Skills

gtranquilla

RadioActive
Anyone have suggestions on how one should hone their FPV flying skills...... I tried to do a flyover on a 500 yard Hole at a local golf course and lost orientation by switching my eyes back and forth between visual and FPV with a screen. Fortunately there was no golfers around. Was luck to get the HEX back safe and sound. I guess two pilots makes more sense and/or I switch over to FPV googles and learn to trust them only! Maybe some straight line long range practice on a flat railroad line would be a good way to go about it.... Any other ideas?:shame:

Maverick

You have to learn to trust your video link. Put on your goggles, and you just have to 'get into the zone'. Focus on everything you see "in the view" and respond, accordingly. Start off in large open areas, like a field. Height is your friend, so if something goes wrong with your video feed, you still have time to get your goggles off, hover mid-stick, and regain your orientation, third person view.

Maverick.

kloner

Aerial DP
alot like he says. i use trails, tree lines, any feature i'm near to track. that way when i shoot a flower field, car scene, anything tracking a path i'm used to it. as your comfort level rises it gets easier and you'll get lower. you never want to look up away from the monitor learning and flying by goggles just makes it more intense and to most, = harder. just fly the camera,,,,,,

(responding with alias account). More practice with a straight and flat railroad line is beginning to make a lot of sense! But in the meantime to get past this first job for my video producer......
I am thinking to properly video a 500 yard straight line fairway safely , I might want to try course lock, then focus on keeping the camera aimed straight down the fairway to the pin, then switch over to Home lock and bring it on home......
Comments please....:dejection: Been fighting to get this 1st fairway done right....tried twice already.....

alot like he says. i use trails, tree lines, any feature i'm near to track. that way when i shoot a flower field, car scene, anything tracking a path i'm used to it. as your comfort level rises it gets easier and you'll get lower. you never want to look up away from the monitor learning and flying by goggles just makes it more intense and to most, = harder. just fly the camera,,,,,,

Last edited by a moderator:

brantdw

I agree, trust your video feed. If you loose the feed try and gain altitude with your copter. Most of the time the video feed will return. Be aware of trees, power lines etc. These are very hard items to distinguish on video. Just dont panic if your feed drops for a second or two. Pratice in open fields, them move to more complipate areas. Good luck. Keep the blades right side up.

kloner

Aerial DP
if these are like the fairways i've recorded they aint straight. they are tough as heck to fpv usually cause of terrain and trees. just gotta go fly it and get baller.