Aeronavics / Droidworx Decisions Decisions...

Bluerex

Hi Guys,
First post in this section so please be gentle :frog:

I am still finding my way with AP and video, currently have a Naza controlled quad and a Hoverfly Pro on a Flamewheel hex (still tuning) under development.
I plan to end up with a rig that will *safely* fly my 550d on what ever gimbal makes the most sense for a mostly single (but with the facility for second) operator.
Target applications are "pretty" landscape and more demanding motorsport applications (mainly gravel rally racing). Which require may long car trips with the rest of the family.
I have an irrational fear of dropping a flying-chain-saw onto unprotected flesh so keeping as far away from people is a priority as is redundancy with the chopper implementation and design.

So against that rather garbled background... I am tossing up between a coaxial 6 or 8 frame like the XM (Just as an aside I LOVE the fact that it is a New Zealand product). But despite lots of forum skimming, I am still unclear of the pros and cons of the two especially in terms of redundancy....

A little help please?

Charles
Sunny Canberra - Australia

https://vimeo.com/52784082

Caju

I know people will jump on me for this, but why coaxial? jst get a better engine and you will be more efficient. less dead weight.
And less props to care especialy if you will have kinds and bags around them.
There are lots of frames that would suit you and Droidworks designed than with easytransportation in mind. Thats great. If I was you I ewould go with a Skyjib Lite. As you will see that the diference in size once is folded is not that big, And it is a diferent level all by it self. Gimbal wise if you plan to use 1 to 2 operators will be hard to be away of FreeFly gimbal with Radian.
But it is not easy packed away as any other top gimbals.
Also I would favor plastic props, just for the lak of care that they do need, wood props are more eficient, but they do requier lots of attention in transport.
And for motors take a look of the disc ones I may be wrong on this one but I do belive they will be the future of Multis,

vip

I had the same thought pattern after my original quad blew a prop and went down, wow they come down fast.. I went with a HLE8 after watching videos of a flat 8 losing a motor ( another with 2 motors gone) and still landing with everything intact. Yes you need some room to transport as they do not break down but I do like the stability of the big craft.

Bluerex

Thanks Guys,
The main reason for considering coaxial was to get a 8 that I could fit in the car/van in a hurry (we sometimes need to sprint between rally stages to beat the field). The main reason for wanting an 8 was as Vip said - better chance of surviving a motor-out without crashing. But I haven't been able to work out if a coaxial 6 would give me the same sort of protection...

Charles.

vip

Y6 with hover fly https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0nNfaZHrCpY

Not my info this is from RCgoups.com, interesting reading for you
jesolins
Tri-Quad-Hexa-Octo-copters!!

Joined Feb 2007
11,670 Posts

Hi Gents,
You have to understand that it is quite different to knowingly take off and land with a hexa/Y6 with a motor stopped than it is for an in-flight motor/prop failure. The multicopter 6 setups simply do not offer reliable redundancy due to the fact that unless you are skilled and prepared, and the winds are favorable, and your multicopter has a full lipo and is not at max AUW, they become a handful at best to fly with a sudden in-flight motor out. Even the MK does not have reliable 6 redundancy. There are plenty of motor-out videos of the MK hexa/Y6's falling out of the sky during unplanned motor prop failures. This thread indexed in the Props section of the
Quadrocopter and Tricopter Info Mega Link Index nicely explains the dynamics:--TIP 10: Excellent discussion on capability differences between an octo and hexa and coax and flat prop orientations: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1378824

The bottom line is: if you require true motor out reliability then your will need an octo.

Cheers,
Jim

Last edited by a moderator:

nicwilke

from what you have said BlueRex, I'd go for the XM 4 coaxial. I've just stepped from a Droidworx ADX coaxial 8 to an XM-6, and the size difference doesnt look that much, but the coaxial fitted better for travel. With that said, the XM's have removable top frame from the landing gear, and a quick hitch for the gimbal. This would pack down the XM4 coaxial into a small, managable pile of expensive bits (3 main parts) for travel to your rally locations. The advantage of having 8 motors and props is redundancy, and if you spit a prop, or have an ESC failure, then you can get that 550d down in one piece (and the frame). I test flew my ADX with one motor unplugged and the Ys-x6 coped in hovering it. Depends on what FC you have I guess.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Aye Up Bluerex.

I fly ADX3HL with AV130 and Radian roll control. Its my prefered workhorse. I have just built another as a Video craft . Both fit nicely in the back of my van, Both ready to rock and roll straight out of the van, One I have loaded up with Canon 550D Canon 10/22 lens and one loaded up with CX730.

They are easily carried to remote locations, if you check out my profile pic you can see how I hike around with it at events / remote shoots

I am just going to start a new build thread on a SkyJib Light 4X. Its is on its way from DW as I type so look out soon for the thread starting.

attachment.php

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluerex

Droider you may have just sold me :) - our van would work perfectly like that with room left over for the four-footed family underneath.
Thanks guys, been reading the links and this definitely looks the way to go. I was just looking at AV130 vs larger gimbals (no need to look any further thanks to Droider!)
So now the budgeting starts...

Thanks again, now I just need to decide on the motor and ESC combo (sooo many variables)

Charles.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Hi Charles.. no problem. I use The AXI 2814/22 and 30amp turnergy esc's with my WKM. It works vey well.

Where are you on the planet? Alternatively there are the TorxPower from quadcopters.co.uk and Tiger motors plus a while load of others that have the same KV rating.

I am going with the TorxPower for my SJLX4 build with TorxPower Props.

Dave

Bluerex

I am Located in downtown Canberra Australia (only 4 hrs or so from nicwilkie)
I have used Tigers and Plush ESCs on a previous build (although I read somewhere that those speedies don't like 4s???) The AXI look gorgeous but at $145 (100 quid equivalent) each..... "Gulp" good thing I only need 8 of them :highly_amused:
I also have a Hoverfly Pro with GPS waiting to be transplanted from the Flamewheel 550 to a more up-market home.

Charles.

nicwilke

I am Located in downtown Canberra Australia (only 4 hrs or so from nicwilkie)
I have used Tigers and Plush ESCs on a previous build (although I read somewhere that those speedies don't like 4s???) The AXI look gorgeous but at $145 (100 quid equivalent) each..... "Gulp" good thing I only need 8 of them :highly_amused:
I also have a Hoverfly Pro with GPS waiting to be transplanted from the Flamewheel 550 to a more up-market home.

Charles.

I run plush on 4s with tigers, never had a problem. Perhaps it's just the Canberra weather..... :D

Sent from my GT-I9305T using Tapatalk 2

Bluerex

I run plush on 4s with tigers, never had a problem. Perhaps it's just the Canberra weather..... :D
Good to know it's a proven combo - And you may be right about the weather... or maybe it's a reaction to all the hot-air generated up on the hill :frog: