deciding on my first outdoor quad

OdinValk

So you can read and read and read posts and search google all day.. but I cant really figure out what would be a good starter outdoor quad... I've been flying a Proto X for a week or so inside obviously.. but I have both a Frys electronics and a hobby store around the corner.. so I have a pretty good selection of "drones" I am not so much into photography.. I'm sure that will come later.. for now I just want a decent sized quad to zip around outside and play with.. anyone have any opinions on the Swann Xtreem series of quads? I cant really spend hundreds of dollars on one.. nor do i need to.. but I'd still like something to mess about with and learn until I can afford a top of the line flyer

thanks in advance

OdinValk

The hubsan X4 is more than capable of flying out doors. It's a blast in expert mode.

The one frys has is the hubsan x4 H107C
Is that the one you're referring to? I know there are other hubsan X4's and apparently a s*** load of copies
http://www.frys.com/product/8251216?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

pizzano

Just An Old CCPM'er
My questions to the OP are......

1) Do you want something that has a good life span, you can grow into, durable, predictable (will provide decent learning skills and confidence), good vendor supported, RTF/ARF/BF and parts availability...?

2) Or, do you want something that will require frequent firmware up-dates, questionable vendor support, limited parts availability, fragile, difficult to repair and frustration that is not conducive to confidence or increased learning skills.

If number 1 is your answer, then expect to pay a little more for a recognized brand like Blade, Walkera, La Trax or Parrot AR for beginning outdoor use. It's worth the price you'll eventually pay going cheap and banging your head against the wall, later.

If number 2 is your answer, then the Hubsan, Syma, WL Toys ect... would be worth considering. No extra cost's charged for the hair pulling and skull lumps you'll acquire getting them to be predictable, durable, repairable and confident to fly more than 60% of the time.

Just a thought from one who went the "inexpensive" route first (and I was an experienced outdoor Heli pilot 1st).........:black_eyed:

mikewelchdotcom

Yes, I have the hubsan x4 107c. It's very durable. The biggest problem is that it's so small it's difficult to find if you lose it out of sight.

OdinValk

Yes, I have the hubsan x4 107c. It's very durable. The biggest problem is that it's so small it's difficult to find if you lose it out of sight.

What about the microgear brand? They've got one that is fairly good size.. looks pretty durable... Jeeez this is almost as bad as selecting computer components

pizzano

Just An Old CCPM'er
What about the microgear brand? They've got one that is fairly good size.. looks pretty durable... Jeeez this is almost as bad as selecting computer components

Same as the number 2 question posted previously........!

OdinValk

Anyone have any input on the Dromida Ominus? Guy at my LHS swears by it.. but it's apparently so new.. not many people have em yet... I think this will be the one I buy... Especially after flying it

PeteDee

Mr take no prisoners!
If you want a toy quad then any of these small ones will be fun and should fly well, buy any of them and be happy.

If however you want something decent then you should be looking at something around the 450 size with 2212 900kv motors or a HP mini around 250mm size.

OdinValk

The Dromida Ominous' parents company is Revell... And it is a 280mm... I'm gunna pick one up and check it out.. apparently comparable to the Traxxis latrax.. but somehow better.. without real world experience of the LaTrax.. it's hard to say.. I'm going by what the hobby shop guys said... They've all been doing this a lot longer than I

Last edited by a moderator:

pizzano

Just An Old CCPM'er
Anyone have any input on the Dromida Ominus? Guy at my LHS swears by it.. but it's apparently so new.. not many people have em yet... I think this will be the one I buy... Especially after flying it

I've flew one at the local Hobby People shop when they 1st came out a couple of months ago......

The Good
It flies alot like an Alias.
It is very stable, but outdoors it lacks power to overcome a stiff breeze. You will "fight" it to maintain control in banks and hover.
It will survive the casual bumps and bangs. But over time there will be issues. (one of the Hobby People guys put it through the task), after 5 hard wall and ground slams it started having tracking issues.
The price seems competitive for a quad of this type.
One needs no previous quad flight experience to fly.

The Bad
The flight system protocol is SLT, which means only a Tactic or Hitec TX equal will bind to it, (not Futaba or Spektrum compatible), which means limited control customizing unless you own an SLT TX.
The battery charge and run time is not as advertised......Hobby People guys found the charge times (USB) averaged 30-45min, run times btw. 5 and 7 minutes outside.
The gear driven props may make it a bit more "ding" proof, but direct drive brushless systems have a longer run life and perform better in the long run. Gear drive props tend to "clutch" during heavy acceleration.....decreasing respones time and over time causing prop tracking and balance issues. (especially if crashed frequently).

Other than that, for $80.00 it had my interest, until I purchased a Blade 200QX......no need for anymore micro experiments on this end now......:nevreness:

OdinValk

I've flew one at the local Hobby People shop when they 1st came out a couple of months ago......

The Good
It flies alot like an Alias.
It is very stable, but outdoors it lacks power to overcome a stiff breeze. You will "fight" it to maintain control in banks and hover.
It will survive the casual bumps and bangs. But over time there will be issues. (one of the Hobby People guys put it through the task), after 5 hard wall and ground slams it started having tracking issues.
The price seems competitive for a quad of this type.
One needs no previous quad flight experience to fly.

The Bad
The flight system protocol is SLT, which means only a Tactic or Hitec TX equal will bind to it, (not Futaba or Spektrum compatible), which means limited control customizing unless you own an SLT TX.
The battery charge and run time is not as advertised......Hobby People guys found the charge times (USB) averaged 30-45min, run times btw. 5 and 7 minutes outside.
The gear driven props may make it a bit more "ding" proof, but direct drive brushless systems have a longer run life and perform better in the long run. Gear drive props tend to "clutch" during heavy acceleration.....decreasing respones time and over time causing prop tracking and balance issues. (especially if crashed frequently).

Other than that, for $80.00 it had my interest, until I purchased a Blade 200QX......no need for anymore micro experiments on this end now......:nevreness:

Thank you for an actual reply.. not just the standard "meh yea do whatever".

pizzano

Just An Old CCPM'er
No problem Odin....I just hate to see a guys enthusiasm take a "turn for the worse" after fighting with the inexpensive toys, spending more $$$ keeping the thing in the air and eventually walking away thinking all these "gadgets" are the same.......even if the initial cost is inviting..........Like with most aspects of this hobby, (especially today with all of the knock-offs and wanta bees), the price, more often than not, is a good indicator of quality, reliability and longevity......!

OdinValk

Surely though.. among all the "toy" grade or whatever you wanna call em

There should be one that stands out above the others.. yes I would LOVE to have one of the higher end ones... But at the moment.. I can't afford that... But i want to get into the hobby

pizzano

Just An Old CCPM'er
Surely though.. among all the "toy" grade or whatever you wanna call em

There should be one that stands out above the others.. yes I would LOVE to have one of the higher end ones... But at the moment.. I can't afford that... But i want to get into the hobby

Quite frankly.......$229.00 to $250.00.. (Blade 200QX)......for a mini quad that will last, perform and provide great teaching and confidence for as long as one cares to stay engaged, is really not that much of an investment in this hobby.....trust me, I've built and flown CCP heli's and large scale planks for a number of years now.......$250.00 to start out with very good and industry proven equipment, that one can grow and expand their limits, is the best advise I can provide to any beginner or aspiring RC enthusiasts.......best of luck to you my friend..!

Ronan

Quite frankly.......$229.00 to $250.00.. (Blade 200QX)......for a mini quad that will last, perform and provide great teaching and confidence for as long as one cares to stay engaged, is really not that much of an investment in this hobby.....trust me, I've built and flown CCP heli's and large scale planks for a number of years now.......$250.00 to start out with very good and industry proven equipment, that one can grow and expand their limits, is the best advise I can provide to any beginner or aspiring RC enthusiasts.......best of luck to you my friend..!

Yes that is dirt cheap, but remember that now a day, people don't want to pay more than $39.95, get two and free shipping.

That's the general mentality... So when i tell people just one of my lipo's is $350-$500... they pass out.

OdinValk

I have built desktop gaming computers as a hobby for years.... I completely understand the difference and reason in higher price for quality... At the moment
. I am new to the rotor hobby... But having built computers AND models for years I have more knowledge on the subject than most newbies... And at my current stance.. I do not need/want a $500 quad to get the fun and learning... A year or so from now maybe I will...