Dear DJI, you've got a problem

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Dear DJI,

Thanks for supporting this website, we appreciate it. There's a problem though, you put cheap props in with your flamewheel kits and our users, your customers, are losing their heli's and the other gear they've paid good money for. Based on the many reports we see here and elsewhere, your propellers are prone to breaking in flight. If it's a problem with users installing them incorrectly then please address it. If it is the props themselves then please stop putting them in your kits or find a higher quality replacement. Mikrokopter has had this problem, XAircraft has had this problem, DJI now has this problem.

I'm tired of reading about unknowing customers of yours losing their gear to props that apparently can't be used for their intended purposes. Whatever is the cause of this problem, please dedicate some of your resources to fix it.

Thank you again for supporting the site, we look forward to you addressing this problem.

Bart
Admin

Last edited by a moderator:

Austin913

there are some posts on another forum, DJI has addressed this and started including redesigned props in newer kits. however, there may be old kits on shelves out there with the props that are prone to mid-air disintegration.

DennyR

Well said Bart. But please add to that. Customers who paid a lot of money for the Zenmuse gimbal are probably not yet aware that there is no service facility for the repair of this product should it ever be needed. So what do we do? We cannot get parts or information from dealers.

Bartman

well, then that's another issue that should be addressed if what you say is true.

as for the props, is there a link with more information for people that have had a crash?

I'm not trying to give people an out if they've crashed for other reasons, it just seems to me that the DJI prop problem is real and is costing people money. maybe it's not the props but the hubs? a frank discussion would be good for DJI, IMHO.

Austin913

on RCG there are posts discussing the new 1038 props with thicker hubs. I dont think they've done anything about the 8" props, but not certain on that. I've followed these threads for a while, as I'm a new DJI F450 owner. rather than chance anything, I just bought an assortment of Gemfan and Zinger props to try out.

Bartman

thanks for posting that Boris. If they're addressing the problem then why do we keep hearing about props snapping in flight? is there an installation error that is happening? old props still out there? if so, then how to we advise people how to identify the old ones?

bart

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
thanks for posting that Boris. If they're addressing the problem then why do we keep hearing about props snapping in flight? is there an installation error that is happening? old props still out there? if so, then how to we advise people how to identify the old ones?

bart

i guess the reseller still have their stock and are pushing them out. How to identify i have no clue i never had any, but it would be nice to have a statement on this from DJI or one of the resellers and reselllers reading this and not selling the old ones anymore ! Cant image it was a fortune for them !

Boris

Bartman

just watched the whole video, interesting choices they made to demonstrate strength of the new props, maybe someone who had props break can chime in if they recognize from the video which props they had.

i'd expect the props they tested in the video to be top quality as they were probably watching very closely at the manufacturing process and the results of the early batches. maybe quality control in later batches is getting away from them? i only really know what I read in others' posts so let's hear from those of you that are out there flying these regularly. Maybe Droider's new flameswheel has the new props on it (I'm pretty sure he's a Graupner user but we'll see.)?

The DJI props supplied with the F550 kit I bought in Sept 2012 had a more rounded blade tips and a more curving taper than the one shown in the video. I'll post a photo of them if I think of it later.

Upon hearing the "don't use DJI props" advise everywhere, I never did. My kit came with props of two different lengths.

Props are only the beginning of their problems.

Let us not forget about their lack of any real form of Customer Support. Ducking questions and then pawning them off on a less than adequate dealer network is not the mark of a reputable company.

...sT

The new props, shown in that video, have been working great for me the last couple weeks. I don't know if they are putting them in new kits or if there are just lots of old kits out there. They should include them in the kits and maybe make an 8 inch version for those that want it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Oztravels

DJI F550 bought 2 weeks ago (From a dealer in Hong Kong). Two mid air prop failures within three flights grounding my F550 because I now have to make major repairs. Bottom line: If DJI were aware of this issue (which they certainly should be unless they are blind, deaf and dumb). They should have a strategy in place to recall the defective props or at least advise users not to use them). See this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852142&highlight=dji+prop+failur

I have also set up a survey if you would like to contribute http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?s...8o1jahx8223503

This is STILL an issue and worse still an issue that could be easily rectified.

Cheers

David

Bartman

DJI F550 bought 2 weeks ago (From a dealer in Hong Kong). Two mid air prop failures within three flights grounding my F550 because I now have to make major repairs. Bottom line: If DJI were aware of this issue (which they certainly should be unless they are blind, deaf and dumb). They should have a strategy in place to recall the defective props or at least advise users not to use them). See this thread http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1852142&highlight=dji+prop+failur

I have also set up a survey if you would like to contribute http://freeonlinesurveys.com/s.asp?s...8o1jahx8223503

This is STILL an issue and worse still an issue that could be easily rectified.

Cheers

David

it's certainly a topic of discussion on the internet which makes it a huge liability for the dealer that eventually sells the one that causes damage, injury, loss of life, etc. Any reputable dealer should be going through the boxes and pulling out the junk, either replacing it with something else or with the new ones if they're genuinely good.

Can a chinese company be brought to justice in a foreign country for product liability? The dealer will likely be ruined, DJI might remain completely uninvolved.

kloner

Aerial DP
this has beenan issue since at least 12/2011... welcome to the party

other things they got wrong

the bullett connectors on your motors are covered in rosin. Just cause you guys clean it off isn't making it not loose connection and in turn fips your models over on a regular basis.

if your naza has a red light inside the imu it there is a good chance it suffers from the barometer in the light syndrome and requires black tape on the side of the case to keep it from falling hundreds of feet per second without input to do so.

But all these have been beat to death and most people after owning one of thee get the links to answer these questions on the forums so it's become "normal" nee-hao

I can't imagine you can touch em legally in china

BorisS

Drone Enthusiast
Kloner did you see any info what the red light in the IMU concerning the WKM means ?

Thanks

Boris

kloner

Aerial DP
no i havent........

i've ramdomly bought several nazas over the last year and have gotten three different colored lights inside the imu. the ones with the red light seem to be the newer plastic that isn't blocking light to the bro. DJI finally accepted it as a problem and will warranty it. but who wants to wait months for there hobby controller to come back.

Dewster

I think a quick and effective solution would be for DJI dealers to stop buying DJI props and open those boxes and pull the props from the kits. When DJI sees that no one buys their props they'll be forced to fix the issue. I do think that dealers could eventually be liable for selling the defective props. Many don't have the protections afforded by being a company in China. As a dealer I would worry about my customers and stop selling the props.

DJI's new prop videos make their props look stronger. Can you tell the difference between the new and the old?

DJI did a good job by providing a flight controller that's easy to setup and use. They need to work on their props or send a message out to recall or stop selling them. I've heard this in different forms in various industries: it cheaper to go the course than recall a known defective product. Recalling is an admission to liability and opens yourself to claims and lawsuits. Working on the problem in the dark, knowing that some will suffer, will save your company in the long run." I've heard variations of the statement and seen the same mindset when a company realizes what it's doing is wrong, but to avoid lawsuits it keeps the train rolling.