Mikrokopter Dead compass board

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
It was bound to happen sooner or later, today I had my first failure of an MK circuit board. Went to the field with the stock Hexa, Gaui 330X, and newly built VC-20 430mm Gaui style frame now with KK blue board. My intent was to get some good aerial stills with the Hexa and then just do some flying with the little quads.

First flight with the Hexa I knew immediately something wasn't right, I got it off the ground, set vario altitude hold, then set positon hold and started a slow climb with the camera shooting at 2 second intervals. As the Hexa was going up I also noticed it was going forward with the breeze which it shouldn't be doing with position hold engaged. I let it climb to about 150 to 200 feet but by then it was starting to head downrange over a heavily wooded area, time to bring it back. I hit come home and nothing happened, not good.

So it was down to manual flying, I started bringing it down fairly quickly while pulling back on the elevator and it did a rapid descent back to where I was standing which was a huge relief. As it got to within a short distance away I could hear the beeper making a repetitive pattern, obviously an error code. Not wanting to push my luck I got it on the ground and unplugged the power, it spent the rest of the day in the back of the car though I did power it up one more time before I left and hovered it about 5 feet off the deck while turning on the GPS, same beeping pattern. Shut off the GPS and hit the switch for carefree mode, beeping again but in a different pattern, OK obvioulsy a navi error of some sort. Didn't have the netbook with me so there wasn't anything else I could do, end of day for the Hexa.

When I got home I hooked up MKtool and sure enough two red lights on Navi and MKMag, a little further diagnosis and it appears the compass board just died, no warning. Odd thing is I used it yesterday afternoon to do a run of stills on a position hold vertical climb three times and it worked perfectly... !?!?!?!?

Did the usual close inspection on the board under a magnifying glass, retouched the solder joints on the header pins, put it back on, no difference can't communicate with the board at all. If it could communicate but had errors I'd have some hope of fixing it but it's stone dead, looks like time to place another order with my favorite MK dealer. :(

Ken

Crash

Defies Psychics
They shouldn't just die. I'd like to see why. If you want to send it to me, my wife will bake you a broken parts pie.

(I don't know how that rhyming thing happened.):confused:

Shoot me a PM if you want.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
They shouldn't just die. I'd like to see why. If you want to send it to me, my wife will bake you a broken parts pie.

(I don't know how that rhyming thing happened.):confused:

Shoot me a PM if you want.

Would be nice to know what has happened.. If DrCrash can figure it out!

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Yesterday I swapped out the GPS and Navi + MKMag boards, the stock Hexa is back to its normal stable self. A short test flight in the backyard in a light wind with the GPS engaged it didn't wander more than couple feet from the spot where I turned the GPS on. I was able to set A/H and P/H and without touching the controls I walked around the hovering Hexa, it never moved more than a foot in any direction just as it was before the mag board went belly up.

Also helped pinpoint a problem I was having with the X8 doing the toilet bowl circle of instability when using position hold, definitely not the GPS or Navi boards, they work fine in the stock Hexa so the answer to that problem lies in PID tuning and/or leveling of he flight controller. The X8 experiment is taking a back burner for now as I'll need the MK stack for the Droidworx frame again once the new bits arrive to finish reassembly so no further testing on that for the forseeable future.

Ken