curious about differences between pancacke and standard sized motors

Hey guys, I crashed my qav500 a few weeks ago and bent the bell on my nx 4008. Just before I clicked buy i wondered what exactly is the difference in performance between these flat pancake style motors vs a standard motor, in the same kv range.... Any thoughts are appreciated

Elliott

DennyR

The important consideration is the pole count which with higher numbers can lead to problems with your ESC's

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
The important consideration is the pole count which with higher numbers can lead to problems with your ESC's

Denny,

I'm running the Tiger MT-4008-18 motor on my bench with a Tiger 40A ESC and 6S power. So far I can't get the motor to lose synch with the ESC. What movements of the throttle or action of the controller will make the ESC and motor lose synch? The Turnigy Plush 40A won't even get the motor turning, FWIW.

I've tried moving the throttle stick back and forth as quickly as possible and it doesn't do anything that is very much different from when I do that to a more normal motor/ESC combination.

Bart

Dewster

I've wondered the same question about flat vs. the cylinder motors. I would like lighter motors if the pancakes would fit the bill.

DennyR

Denny,

I'm running the Tiger MT-4008-18 motor on my bench with a Tiger 40A ESC and 6S power. So far I can't get the motor to lose synch with the ESC. What movements of the throttle or action of the controller will make the ESC and motor lose synch? The Turnigy Plush 40A won't even get the motor turning, FWIW.

I've tried moving the throttle stick back and forth as quickly as possible and it doesn't do anything that is very much different from when I do that to a more normal motor/ESC combination.

Bart

Bart
I have used the 4008 without any problems but as I remember the 3006 was a problem.

If you can snap the throttle open without getting a squeal and it starts ok then you are good to go. On 6s you should have good temperatures and not be running out of revs. with smaller props.

I don't know what TM are using for ESC's now but I think they have addressed the earlier problems. If those ESC's have a timing preset then you may need to test the advance to suit your props. You will see the difference in the operating temps.

Last edited by a moderator:

Denny,

Bart

Why don't the Plush ESCs work?

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Denny,

Bart

i appear to have made a mistake somewhere. the Turnigy 40A ESC's will turn the 4008-18 motors and, upon closer inspection, they're the same ESC as the Tiger 40A. The hardware is identical except that Tiger puts bullet connectors on the ESC where TUrnigy has wire leads.

DOes anyone know if there's a way to compare firmware? Is there a way to access firmware to see what's in there or is it all locked down during manufacture?

They run about the same with the Tiger maybe being marginally better but it's tough to say.