MultiWii / NAZE / SP Racing F3 Crius v2 setup yaw issues

modles

Nerdlinger
Hi guys

Needed to get myself something I can fling about in the evenings.

So I got a crius v2, loaded it with megapirates and stuck it on a dji flamewheel hexa.

Setup went well until I'm running into issues with yaw. As soon as i start to increase the PID values for yaw it starts going a bit nuts. Oddly when i try to yaw it pitches, so when i yaw right it pitches forwards and when i yaw left it pitches backwards.

I have the motors hooked up as per this reference Title: Crius AIOP V2.0 Guide for MegaPirateNG - Multi Rotor UK

Also the yaw rate PID seems to be adding yaw rather than cancelling it.

Any ideas?

Electro 2

I'm not familiar with this card, but.... Are you absolutely dead-zero certain all motors are turning the correct direction and are assigned to the correct port on the EFC board ?? Are the props on correctly, as well ?? Second, do an "over the head" test. Hold the aircraft over your head and have an assistant man the TX. Hang on to it so it doesn't fly away, and be absolutely certain you are clear of all props. **There is an element of danger here, proceed at your own risk!** If there are issues, the aircraft may try to twist it's way out of your hands in a violent manner, be ready for this. Check to see that all pitch-roll-yaw functions are active, reasonably linear, and deflect in the correct direction. If anything is backwards or just plain wrong, it will show up here. Don't even mess with PIDs until this is test is passed and the craft actually flys in a controllable manner.

modles

Nerdlinger
Hi Electro

Yep done this, the over the head test is my favourite part of building MRs, makes you feel alive eh! (ever tried it with a SKYJIB? its fun!)

My first thought was that the rotations were wrong, so I did double check these against all references I can find online. It could be that all the references are wrong, but I doubt it.

I have tested pitch and roll controls and they work as expected. I also tried using a negative gain values for the yaw as I would expect this to introduce a reverse action but it seems they must be doing an abs() on the value as this makes no difference.

But its not just that the yaw seems to run away with itself but also that when i try to yaw via the sticks (which are assigned correctly) i get a pitch and roll movement as well as a slight attempt to yaw (in the correct direction).

Ill try spinning the motors round the other way for the sake of 5 mins, but Im really not sure its the problem. All very odd.

Probably easier to just roll my own controller for the sake of a couple of evenings work, but would be good to get this at least usable on something.

Electro 2

"yaw via the sticks (which are assigned correctly) i get a pitch and roll movement as well as a slight attempt to yaw (in the correct direction)."
This usually indicates an imbalance in another axis. Certain the EFC is in the frame correctly, left-right, top-bottom, front-back ?? If it was mounted with an inverted axis that could cause this.