XAircraft Crashes....

wbrownj

Ok, MY crashes :upset:

Somehow though it is cathartic to 'fess up and admit when you got it wrong, so this is my tail of.... redemption.

I went flying at the weekend and took both my Phantom and my XA650.
Several other people were there flying and it was a lovely day. I started with my Phantom which I like to use as my warm-up craft. It is great and just scuds around the sky like a puppy. I often fly it in manual rather than GPS and just practice control and manoeuvres. I was also doing some RTH tests. I would switch off the Tx and watch it make its way home and land. Simple things please me and it always brings a small smile to my face to see it land just about exactly where it took off from and then power down. :).

Time for the X650 and my first real use of my new Fatshark goggles and FPV system. Man that is a bit disconcerting at first. I would fly for a short while but then have to pull the goggles off and check my location. It was good but will certainly take some getting used to. Also, despite having the Attitude goggles with adjustable IPD, my eyes must be wide because I cannot get it so I can clearly see the height and distance OSD readings without the rest of the image being blurred. Anyways, landed (without goggles) and all was well.

Back to Phantom and more RTH etc.

Back to X650 and this is where it goes a bit Pete Tong (wrong). Again FPV but this time I tried to maintain it for longer. Before I knew it I was getting disoriented and so off with the goggles to see this tiny speck way in the distance. EEEEK !!! I could not orient and before long had decided to do RTH for real. So I switched off the Tx.... and I saw my x650 fall out of the sky like a rock into long grass. I could not believe it and stood there for a few seconds dumbfounded because I had, on an earlier weekend, tested RTH and it was fine. Then it finally struck me. For the X650 RTH is NOT triggered by Tx power down but by a switch throw.

STUPID STUPID ME !!! I had been confused by all the earlier RTH testing with the Phantom. My own fault at the end of the day.

I and a fellow flier walked out into the distance to try and find it but after the first 45 minutes or so he left me to continue my search alone. I asked dog walkers and anyone I saw.
Long story short one stranger I asked stayed with me for the next 2 hours (!!) looking in the long grass. We walked for miles and miles continually criss-crossing the long grass. The FPV was still on but only showed grass but eventually we narrowed the search area a bit by wearing the goggles and rotating to see which way provided the best signal. Finally, at the point when I was ready to give in, he spots it and I tell you, you could have walked within 6 ft of it and missed it completely in the long grass.

Fortunately it had landed on its back so the canopy shell took most of the impact. It did break an arm and all the load hangers but at least the new T-Motor props I had just bought were completely unharmed.

I never did get the man's name, but I thanked him profusely and counted my lucky stars.

So it was me being stupid. but it raises the question of whether I can set up a failsafe mode that triggers an RTH just like if I had thrown the switch that is already programmed to initiate RTH.

Finally and looking on the bright side, the broken arm forced me to pretty much dismantle the x650 which presents an opportunity. When I bought it, it included a free build service and so arrived to me RTF. However, I am a bit of a neat-freak when it comes to wiring my models etc. and so this now gives me the opportunity to do pretty much a complete re-build as I would like it to be.

Whew, lesson learned... faith in humanity thanks to a good and kind man (and his dog!!) truly restored and a chance to resurrect my x650 better than ever.

Thanks for reading,

Jonathan

vispaaja

I can imagine the feeling :)

Which TX do you use? On Spektrum/JR you need to re-bind the receiver with failsafe switch activated. Futaba has a failsafe menu where you can do the same thing. After this you may want to try it on the ground (might be a good idea to remove the props). Just turn off the TX and see if SuperX starts blinking red

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Glad to see that you had minimal damage - and you obviously learned from your mistake, which is what we can all hope for.

I didnt see you mention the superx specifically, but if you have one, vispaaja is correct, the fail safe will be not only dependent on the FC, but your particular Tx/RX as well. Ideally, after you set the fail safe correctly - you should be able to test it on the ground to ensure it enable the correct mode (the LEDs should indicate it goes into fail safe), and not with turning the Tx off in flight.

If the Tx/RX is bound correctly, the loss of signal should produce the same results as hitting the RTH switch. Probably best to test RTH in the normal fashion (switch) and not force a 'moment' by killing all control. Same would go for your Phantom.

Good luck with the rebuild.

wbrownj

Hi Vispaaja and Motopreserve,
Thank you very much for replying and for your good advice.
I have a Spektrum DX8 Tx and a Spektrum AR8000 Rx which are now bound with a preset failsafe that turns the RTH function on. it seems to work ok on the ground (right LEDs etc.) so I am hopeful that all is good... as far as that goes.

After some intensive dismantling, repairs and re-mantling I now have the quad flying again but there still seems to be one problem. It seems to have a REALLY REALLY hard time getting a GPS lock. It did get one one time but I can leave it for ten minutes without it acquiring lock. I do not know what is causing this. I have:

Recalibrated everything (compass, Tx sticks etv.)
Not changed the gains for Superx
Not altered the Tx settings .

After the crash, the puck was dislodged from its mount but had no visible signs of impact damage. Also the wiring etc. looked fine but I am wondering if it is somehow damaged.

I would greatly welcome any ideas on things I could try or settings adjustments that might help coz I am a bit stumped right now.

On the bright side, the rebuild seems to have resulted in a pretty stable craft because video from my gopro is pretty much jitter free :)

I just need to get the GPS sorted out.

Thanks again,

Jonathan

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Has any of the wiring changed in your new, neater build? Some wires, battery, etc can hinder GPS lock. Even the gopro is known to cause some interference with things.

If none of this has changed, I would contact drew at xaircraft America and ask his advice. It is possible that something internal dislodged due to the crash, despite it looking visibly sound on the outside.

wbrownj

Hi,
I'm not aware of any wiring changes other than neater... But same connections.
Battery and gopro in same physical location.

J

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Hi,

J

im assuming youre trying to get lock in the same location you have before? Make sure you don't have any keys/cell phone in pockets. Be away from cars etc. Also, just go to a new location. People have had issues with power lines above and even under ground - even when they hadn't seemed to cause issues before.

wbrownj

Hi,

J

Ok latest findings...
I took quad out to front of my house (less trees etc) and it got a lock after about 3 minutes. But I could mover the quad just a few inches ( still under clear sky) and the led would go solid yellow. Move quad back again and lock is restored. Also, if I take puck off load hanger and move just the puck a few inches, lock is lost. All this suggests that the gps is always on the cusp on losing itself probably due to some damage. Tomorrow I will pull all the puck wiring out of the quad to see if when away from other wiring the situation improves. This is very annoying.

J

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
It seems like you may need to contact Drew. He may be able to help you determine whether you need a new puck or not.

Did you check your black box for any anomalies with the GPS or anything else? That might help you determine if something was already funky before the crash.

wbrownj

Really appreciate your helpful ideas. Yup did check bb but the crash was really my own fault. GPS seemed ok prior to crash.

J

haha49

I set my remote to do all the things I fly the same exact way. All are flip the switch on the far right (2 toggle) down fail safe. Simple and easy I also have an OSD and sometimes I don't trust it because it seems a little off but it's actually not off which is funny because in the air you go no I'm beside that tree over there and it's not the right way but it is