Crash analysis help please

tomb18

Ok,
Everything has been going just fine with my quad in testing and shorter flights. However yesterday, I added my gimbal, and went for a real flight. Everything worked well, I tested failsafe, came back to home position perfectly. I sent it on it's way again and all was doing fine then all of a sudden, the quad starts to fall out of the sky, flipping continuously it seems in one direction.
Here is a video I took. The crash happens at around 4:40.

A couple of things seem important here.
1) Power is still available since the led's (blue) are still lit as it crashes.
2) The quad is constantly flipping in one direction. Seems like one or more ESC / Motor combos are failing.
3) Upon landing and about 45 minutes later (spent looking for it in high grass), voltage was at 4.00V per cell.

Damage was minimal, one broken arm and a couple of lost vibration grommets. Now I powered up the quad at home in broken condition. Everything works, except that one motor seems to be real weak compared to all the others. For example, I can stop it's rotation easily with my hand while the others I can't.
In addition, if I unplug this motor and put it on a different ESC, then I cannot stop the motor.

Conclusion: One ESC has failed or the ESC calibration was not done correctly.
My friend has a video of the quad before take off, and it would seem that the motor/ESC in question is turning slower than all the rest when on the ground.

Comment? Is my analysis good? This is my first crash.
Equipment: Tarot 650 Sport QUAD
ESC RangeVideo 40A Opto
Motors: Sunnysky 4018S 600kV.
Naza M V2 FW 4.01
GensAce 4S 5300ma/h

Thanks for any insight.
Tom

Hexacrafter

Manufacturer
I agree with bad ESC.....
We saw a lot of this last year with many ESC.....
I know nothing of that brand ESC, but am an advocate of buying UP on motors & ESC......
I would try a higher quality ESC in the future...
Sorry to hear about you crash....

hjls3

Id say ESC as well - as far as your one motor that doesn't spin as freely as others...well sign motor bearings is no bueno - often the result of a crash.

tomb18

Not quite. If I connect that motor to a different esc on the copter, it spins perfectly fine. Lots of torque and I can't stop it.
I'm thinking now the esc that is giving problems was not calibrated correctly.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The calibration would not cause you to be able to stop it. It would only potentially not spin/startup the same as the others.

tomb18

Hi
Are you sure it would not have any influence beyond that?
Yesterday I replaced the broken pieces and them recalibrated the esc in question, and redid solder connections on it. I then ran two full speed tests, with the copter bolted down and then today had two successful 15 minute flights. No issues at all. So it would seem that all is now well.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
The calibration would have had to be REALLY off to have that effect, and I honestly can't imagine how that would happen. glad you're running again. But I'd keep an eye on that esc or just replace it for peace of mind.