Tau Labs CopterControl build

Crash

Defies Psychics
I received the CopterControl board in the mail this mail this morning. Below is a size comparison between a Quadrino, an MK, and the CC board.

View attachment 361

I must say, it's some fine workmanship but I'm still going to take the iron to it.

View attachment 362
Buzzed: That Hakko 808 rocks.

I'm going to lay the pins down on the bottom of the board.
View attachment 363
I want to possibly use a 4s battery so I'm trying to figure out how best to power it.

I have 5V L7805 regulators, 5A 5V SBEC, and RECOMs. Ultimately, I want to power some servos and I don't want a servo overload to take the CC board down. I also don't want to use the BEC circuit on the ESCs.

What do you guys think? A 7805 for the CC and a SBEC for the servos?

Attachments

• 5-23-11_ 001.jpg
    5-23-11_ 001.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 224
  • 5-23-11_ 002.jpg
    5-23-11_ 002.jpg
    99.2 KB · Views: 220
  • 5-23-11_ 003.jpg
    5-23-11_ 003.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 267

Macsgrafs

Problem with the 7805 is that you are trying to drop nearly 12v...it will not be able to give to much current as well as drooping all that voltage! The 5a 5V SBEC is best for the servos.

Ross

Crash

Defies Psychics
Problem with the 7805 is that you are trying to drop nearly 12v...it will not be able to give to much current as well as drooping all that voltage! The 5a 5V SBEC is best for the servos.

Ross
Yea, Ross. I was only thinking of using the 7805 for the CC and RX only. It gets too hot though.

On this craft, I'm worried that the servos could get overloaded so I'll use the 5A SBEC for those.

Good thing I checked the schematic. I almost tested it with a 12V regulator which would have fried some stuff in the RX and servos.

Here is the schematic if anyone is interested:
http://git.openpilot.org/browse/~raw,r=a2333c259fee4b9d220918537491462e32442b1d/OpenPilot/hardware/Production/CopterControl/CopterControl%20Schematic.pdf

BTW, I'm aware of how the wiki says to power the board. I want to separate servo power from flight board power for a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Mine arrived today but I haven't even looked at the wiki yet. Too much craziness to tackle another project at the moment.
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Mine should be here around the end of the week, now I just have to figure out what to put it on. Maybe I'll see if its more tolerant of cheap ESCs than the Quadrino and install it on the 430mm extended Gaui frame.

I seem to have an excess of inexpensive flight controllers of varying capabilities now and not enough airframes to put all of them on...

At least I got the GCS software up and running for when the board does arrive.

Ken

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
Mine is going on the XA X650 first which has an in-house designed ESC board with power and control all incorporated into one module. Maybe it won't be compatible, haven't really looked into it yet.
Bart

RTRyder

Merlin of Multirotors
Not had any problem yet with cheap ESCs, be interested to know what you discover.

I'll certainly let you know how it goes. I suspect that if I had wanted to go into the code and tweak some of the settings for the ESC setup I might have gotten the Quadrino to work better with the no name ESCs but knowing just enough about coding to really mess things up I left it alone.

Shipping notice received this morning, should have the board Friday or Saturday, and then it's just a matter of swapping out the KK board for the CC and doing the setup (I hope!)...

Ken

edouard

Mine should be here around the end of the week, now I just have to figure out what to put it on. Maybe I'll see if its more tolerant of cheap ESCs than the Quadrino .

Only ever used mine with cheap ESCs, no issue. We've paid a lot of attention to making it as tolerant as possible, within reasonable limits of course. The board itself is not very demanding power-wise.