Tau Labs Copter Control General Help Thread

matwelli

OK guys and gals

as we went live in the USA and Europe with CC sales, decided to start a general help /setup thread here

Just one thread, as its easier to keep track off for me (via email notification) that many, many threads

So any issues, post up, and everyone else will chip in to answer

Crash

Defies Psychics
GCS observations/minor gripes:
On the GCS it should default to USB:Copter Control for the first connection. Will a newbie use com 1 on their first start? I doubt it but maybe I'm missing something. If the port is later changed, save the last port used. Also communication drop down needs to be larger so you can see what port is selected. (see pic)

I'm guessing that some of the help screens are missing because of a developer time issue. Is it possible in each help screen to also have a link to a wiki search on OP. That would give the user a better chance of finding the latest info and as the wiki page gets better it can be copied to the help screen.

Just minor things. Hopefully in the next day or two I'll have the CC quad in the air.

Attachments

• screenshot.356.jpg
    screenshot.356.jpg
    11.6 KB · Views: 181

CheBuzz

We have been talking about having the GCS automatically connect whenever an OpenPilot board is attached via USB. We don't want to fall into the MS Office trap, where it tries to be so helpful that it makes getting anything done difficult. But I think this may be a good change, and can't envision a situation where somebody would connect an OP board on the USB, but want to connect to it over a serial port.

Crash

Defies Psychics
We have been talking about having the GCS automatically connect whenever an OpenPilot board is attached via USB. We don't want to fall into the MS Office trap, where it tries to be so helpful that it makes getting anything done difficult. But I think this may be a good change, and can't envision a situation where somebody would connect an OP board on the USB, but want to connect to it over a serial port.

That's what I'm thinking. I just can't see it happening. A new guy wants to plug it in and have it found. He isn't going to first wire up an Xbee or PIP and hope for the best. I left out auto-connect for a reason. Later on if you have telemetry hard wired there could be two connections if you also want to use USB to do a firmware update for example. Maybe the answer would be to move the viable options to the top and change the color of the connect button when a link is possible. And maybe a checkbox to auto-connect?

Just tossing ideas into the ring.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
I have posted a thread on the Xbee coms. Can some one tell me WHICH model I should be looking at. There are so many different ones.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
Looking for advice on four motors for my new little project using hte CC board. After many hours searching around and looking at more frames than I care to remember I went with the simple MK 400 quad, cheap and chearful and easy to repair as I know I will be crashing it while learning FPV.

So Chaps motor and esc recommends please

dave

matwelli

Looking for advice on four motors for my new little project using hte CC board. After many hours searching around and looking at more frames than I care to remember I went with the simple MK 400 quad, cheap and chearful and easy to repair as I know I will be crashing it while learning FPV.

So Chaps motor and esc recommends please

dave

These have worked well so far http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=523&productname= with a set of RCtimer esc's (hobbywing i believe, rebadged) and 10 by 4.5 props

Crash

Defies Psychics
These have worked well so far http://www.rctimer.com/index.php?gOo=goods_details.dwt&goodsid=523&productname= with a set of RCtimer esc's (hobbywing i believe, rebadged) and 10 by 4.5 props

I just received 7 of those in the mail. The windings were of the quality I expected - passable but not pretty. They did check out fine on the o-scope and meter. The motor wire extensions are all cold joints. I had to redo them all. They are terminated outside the motor so that is easy enough to do.

Crash

Defies Psychics
I have posted a thread on the Xbee coms. Can some one tell me WHICH model I should be looking at. There are so many different ones.
They only make two frequencies to my knowledge- 900 and 2400mhz. You need to find which one is legal in your Country. I'm not so sure that both are illegal.

matwelli

I just received 7 of those in the mail. The windings were of the quality I expected - passable but not pretty. They did check out fine on the o-scope and meter. The motor wire extensions are all cold joints. I had to redo them all. They are terminated outside the motor so that is easy enough to do.

Thats a worry, i have 36 of them and so far have used 24, now i wonder if i need to check the joints on each one.

For $11bucks i guess you get what you pay for :)

Kilby

The worst thing about those RC Timers is that they seems to vary wildly from one batch to the next. I pretty much had to replace all three the last time one went up because it was a huge difference from one to the other.

Droider

Drone Enthusiast
They only make two frequencies to my knowledge- 900 and 2400mhz. You need to find which one is legal in your Country. I'm not so sure that both are illegal.

Hi Crash.. yep but which particular model have i seen plugged in to the CC board. Not the frequencey.

dave