Colin Guinn Injuction Video

adanac

The video below was posted in the other Colin Guinn thread and I figured the rumor (I call it that because I can find no corroborative info yet) that DJI cannot ship new stock to the US deserved it's own thread. Hopefully, this won't be a bashing thread but real information about this situation.

I cannot know what his contract with DJI stipulated. Perhaps he "owned" some or all of DJI in the U.S. Perhaps he was simply an employee. Really, I'm most curious about what effect this could have on availability of DJI products in the US.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDgSNApm4go

MrTommy

It's hard to find agreement on the simple fact of what Colin's relationship was at DJI. One site says he was CEO of American operations (that video of the SpaceX launch). This video mentioned above says Colin was an 'employee'. Of course, I don't even know who this guy is in the video. Maybe I'll put up a video too - what the heck!

Anyway, I'll be watching, because this has all the trappings of a great soap opera.

adanac

Are there any lawyers amongst us who can offer an opinion on how this type of injunction works? I have two questions:

1) Can DJI bypass the injuction by simply getting new U.S. distributors?
2) Would an injunction have to remain in place while the case is litigated?

Tahoe Ed

The can sell direct as they have been doing for some time. You can buy from Canada or the EU. There are lots of options.

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
Are there any lawyers amongst us who can offer an opinion on how this type of injunction works? I have two questions:

1) Can DJI bypass the injuction by simply getting new U.S. distributors?
2) Would an injunction have to remain in place while the case is litigated?

My guess is that they cannot sell to any previous DJI dealers. Colin Guinn probably had exclusive rights for marketing and distribution in the US, and would have had a non-compete clause which would prevent direct sales from DJI HK to the dealer network he developed. DJI HK can probably go ahead and develop a new dealer network, but any attempts to sell to any existing dealers, either directly or indirectly, would violate the non-compete. As such, this would appear to be very bad for any existing DJI dealers, as they'd have to collapse their existing companies and start new ones. And even then, if the same person is listed as the principle in a new company doing the same thing (dealing DJI) then that would probably also go against the non-compete.

I'm not a lawyer, and know nothing specific about the case. Just a guess. But I've been around the corporate block a few times and pretty good at piecing things together.

Colin has apparently been wrongfully treated for a court to do this and what he is doing is apparently legal in the US
DJI has put a stop to myself in bringing to the attention of many forum members issues DJI has had and has refused to correct.
They have paid off forums to ban myself and even forced a distributor (yes, I have the emails from the Distributor stating this clearly) to drop me as a support tech for them.

Personally I hope this brings everything DJI has been wrongfully doing to the forefront... It was just a matter of time.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
hi guys,
i'm unable to view the youtube video but i'd like to request that we watch our comments here. if colin guinn is in a litigious mood i'd hate for him to have a reason to sue multirotorforums.com for anything. i don't see anything to be concerned about as yet but just needed to make the point.
thanks,
bart

I highly doubt he is in any position to sue a PUBLIC forum and if he does try, it will not be in his interest.. I personally know a DJI direct dealer NOT affected by this "injunction"..

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
I highly doubt he is in any position to sue a PUBLIC forum and if he does try, it will not be in his interest.. I personally know a DJI direct dealer NOT affected by this "injunction"..

i'd guess he's got no claim to dealers he didn't add to the network so anyone that preceded him would be safe. anyone in the US? probably aerial media pros, uavrotorking, and a few others.

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
I reckon most of us first learned of Colin Guinn with the Cineron project. Whether or not he is a 'good guy' or a knob he is certainly passionate about r/c heli's and the multi-rotor evolution and I am sure he has done a whole load of good work for DJI. As many around here know from personal experience, DJI definitely IS run by knobs who, by being chinese and therefore largely untouchable, have gotten away with an awful lot of wrongs, particularly in regard to how they treat their customers. This general disdain for their Western customers extends to their dealer network so there is no reason to assume that someone in Guinn's (former) position would be exempt from DJI's clumsy and disrespectful treatment.

Unlike the fat twat who cannot read his own writing in the video, I do not melt at the mention of the name DJI and I would suspect that Guinn, like the huge number of disgruntled DJI customers, probably has been wrongly treated. The big difference is that he finds himself in a position to do something about it and I am loving seeing those chinese pricks being jerked around.

I wish there was a "like" button. :)

2vi5te8.jpg

R_Lefebvre

Arducopter Developer
+1!

So whatever happened to Cineron? I really haven't heard much about it other than these intro videos. Did they fall by the wayside with the multirotor and AlexMos revolution? Or are they quietly out there shooting Hollywood stuff and we just never hear about them? Is Colin still involved with that, or did he abandon that to pursue the DJI business?

Funny, I was watching a video last night on Netflix called "Moto 4". Kind of a bunch of vignettes about various motorcycle riders, shot in 2012. A fair amount of aerial footage, and much of it quite awful. I spent more of the show rewinding the aerial scenes, critiquing it, trying to figure out who it was...

MombasaFlash

Heli's & Tele's bloke
The blurb claims that DJI was involved with the Cineron project and perhaps that is when the original connection between them and Colin Guinn was made, with DJI looking for foreign distribution channels. The video production certainly has a lot of 'DJI' about it. But there is also some good ole BS there, in particular the graphics overlay at 1:18 supposedly representing an immobile and highly stabilised lens. Looking to the side of the lens at the gimbal frame tells another, less well stabilised story.

If this project was where the business partnership began, respect to Guinn for covering his a$$ by setting up the unpronounceable Daijingwhateveritis company instead of trusting DJI to be honourable, if DJI has indeed screwed him over. If they haven't, he is probably a knob, but quite a clever knob.

FASTFJR

It always seemed to me Colin was just a spokesman (face) for the DJI. He doesn't make hardware, he doesn't write software. He's just screwing with the US dealers which is shameful.

MrTommy

It always seemed to me Colin was just a spokesman (face) for the DJI.

Well, everyone needs a "spokesman", and maybe that was Colin's job. I know watching his videos is what brought me into the 'fold'. He made it all look so easy, and he did a good job explaining how the Phantom 2 Vision worked. I don't care that he was a ShamWow kinda guy in the past, or, that he was on some 'reality' show. I think he did a good job hawking the Phantom. Since this is my only experience with him, I don't have a gripe. I know many on this site (and other sites as well) know him a lot better than I, and have a whole different take. I can't argue with them. :untroubled: He seems to be able to always 'land on his feet' though, and that ain't all bad....

adanac

From what I've read he was not a spokesman and I can't imagine a judge would grant an injunction if he were.

The strange rumor that the name Dajiang is unpronounceable had really taken hold, hasn't it....

Well, everyone needs a "spokesman", and maybe that was Colin's job. I know watching his videos is what brought me into the 'fold'. He made it all look so easy, and he did a good job explaining how the Phantom 2 Vision worked. I don't care that he was a ShamWow kinda guy in the past, or, that he was on some 'reality' show. I think he did a good job hawking the Phantom. Since this is my only experience with him, I don't have a gripe. I know many on this site (and other sites as well) know him a lot better than I, and have a whole different take. I can't argue with them. :untroubled: He seems to be able to always 'land on his feet' though, and that ain't all bad....