F450 - Naza V2 w/GPS - I need a receiver!

canthandle

So, I start my DJI Flame Wheel F450 build this week, and I still have a few things I need to get. One of those things, is a receiver. I also know that I want it to have a "failsafe" option, since I will the quad will have the Naza V2 w/GPS.

I have a Spektrum DX6i, and i'm not sure which receiver to go with. There seems to be a ton of options.
Futaba works with Spektrum receivers? ORange Rx seems to be a cheap option.. Spektrum is obviously an option.

Does the distance range vary?

What the heck should I do?

Tahoe Ed

You really need an 8 channel Tx. You will be challenged with a 6 channel to use all the functions of the Naza V2. That being said, get a Rx that is capable of "preset failsafe". I have used the AR7XXX receivers with satellites.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
wouldn't an orange receiver be capable of being programmed for a receiver failsafe mode?

@canthandle, keep in mind there are different "failsafe" options that can be mixed up if you're not really specific.

The DJI NAZA and WKM have a "failsafe" mode which means when you configure them correctly, a switch can be used to trigger a "failsafe" condition where the helicopter will (usually) fly a set path back to the point it took off from.

Some of the DJI flight control systems also have another "failsafe" mode where if the receiver loses contact with the radio it will also trigger the same "failsafe" reaction and attempt to fly home.

With the radio transmitter/receivers there is another "failsafe" mode where if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter it will go to a pre-programmed status (a combination of switch positions and control inputs) that will make the heli do something that you decided (when you programmed the receiver) you'd like it to do like maybe reduced throttle and GPS position hold so the heli would come straight down at a slow rate to keep i from flying away when you lose contact with it.

There are a bunch of different "failsafe" options to consider, which one were you talking about?

Tahoe Ed

wouldn't an orange receiver be capable of being programmed for a receiver failsafe mode?

@canthandle, keep in mind there are different "failsafe" options that can be mixed up if you're not really specific.

The DJI NAZA and WKM have a "failsafe" mode which means when you configure them correctly, a switch can be used to trigger a "failsafe" condition where the helicopter will (usually) fly a set path back to the point it took off from.

Some of the DJI flight control systems also have another "failsafe" mode where if the receiver loses contact with the radio it will also trigger the same "failsafe" reaction and attempt to fly home.

With the radio transmitter/receivers there is another "failsafe" mode where if the receiver loses contact with the transmitter it will go to a pre-programmed status (a combination of switch positions and control inputs) that will make the heli do something that you decided (when you programmed the receiver) you'd like it to do like maybe reduced throttle and GPS position hold so the heli would come straight down at a slow rate to keep i from flying away when you lose contact with it.

There are a bunch of different "failsafe" options to consider, which one were you talking about?

Bart you are right that "failsafe" is not a simple topic. With JR/Spektrum receivers, you need to have those that are capable of "preset failsafe". With Futaba it is a function that is part of the Tx and allows you to set the same parameters as preset. If you do not have preset failsafe set up, your throttle will be the only thing set. All others channels will be set at the last position. I apologize but I need to post a link to another site where a Horizon tech explains it better than I could ever do.

http://helifreak.com/showpost.php?p=3792179&postcount=9

I use the Spektrum Rx's that support preset failsafe and set the same in my Futaba Tx on all my models. The only way to test your failsafe is to be in assistant and turn off the Tx. If the throttle moves above 10% and the mode moves to failsafe then it is correct. If not you will not be in "failsafe" if the RC signal is lost.

I have several Spektrum and a few Orange with my DX8. all are Failsafe capable.
You have to pre program the failsafe prior to binding but it works great.

Great information!

I was considering getting the Orange brand of RXs but have stumbled across the Lemon RXs. There is a pretty good following on RCGroups that talks about them. One of the things I like is that they are lighter than the Orange ones I was looking at.

Here is a link to the discussion on them:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1773138&highlight=lemonrx

The "Lemon" brand receivers are well named.
I fell into that and bought a few.
First they are DMX2 receivers and limited to, as it was explained to me, locking on to 2 channels.
Please don't ask me to explain that but it's less than desirable.
Secondly, of the 3 that I purchased, 2 failed.
I did buy them for park flyers and while they worked, they were OK in a park where I was the only flyer.
I would never,,, make that NEVER, trust them in my quad or anything that I cared about or was flying near people I cared about.
For the extra money, and there are never any guarantees, I'd stick with the Spektrum with a satellite (remote) receiver.
Nothing quite sucks like building a quad and then watching it plow up sod because you tried to save a few bucks on radio equipment.

COMike93yj

Still Building!
The "Lemon" brand receivers are well named.
I fell into that and bought a few.
First they are DMX2 receivers and limited to, as it was explained to me, locking on to 2 channels.
Please don't ask me to explain that but it's less than desirable.
Secondly, of the 3 that I purchased, 2 failed.
I did buy them for park flyers and while they worked, they were OK in a park where I was the only flyer.
I would never,,, make that NEVER, trust them in my quad or anything that I cared about or was flying near people I cared about.
For the extra money, and there are never any guarantees, I'd stick with the Spektrum with a satellite (remote) receiver.
Nothing quite sucks like building a quad and then watching it plow up sod because you tried to save a few bucks on radio equipment.

Good to know....I am not familiar with the differences between DSMX and DSM2 fully so I can't really comment on it.

Ill try to see just what else is out there. This is my first DIY build so I am keeping things VERY inexpensive to get started. I am not ruling the Lemon or Orange out yet though....

Good to know....I am not familiar with the differences between DSMX and DSM2 fully so I can't really comment on it.

Ill try to see just what else is out there. This is my first DIY build so I am keeping things VERY inexpensive to get started. I am not ruling the Lemon or Orange out yet though....

I will also say that the 2 Orange Rx's that I have flying have given me no problem at all.
I'd make that a bare minimum addition.

whitman

You really need an 8 channel Tx. You will be challenged with a 6 channel to use all the functions of the Naza V2. That being said, get a Rx that is capable of "preset failsafe". I have used the AR7XXX receivers with satellites.

I'm planning on picking up an F450 and using an 8 channel Tx, but curious if I would need a 9 channel if I was planning on using most if not all of the NAZA V2 functions, while also controlling a pan+tilt fpv. Sorry I'm late to the party, but it seems like you may know the answer. Thanks!