Client edited our vid and here it is

tombrown1

Maybe this is dumb question, but what did your contract stipulate? Maybe a point to consider in you next job.

It's not a contractual issue - we agreed to make them a 2-minute-ish video and also send a few photos and the raw video. We gave them our final video, and offered to make any changes they wanted. They decided it would be easier for them to just edit with their own guy on site, for logistical reasons (we're 5 hours away).

We don't really have a problem with them editing the video - we assumed that their video professor would be able to put together something decent. Obviously we were mistaken.

The question is whether we should contact them and ask about changing at least the music. We don't feel that we have a right to MAKE them change the vid - no interest in power plays anyhow - just wondering if we should talk to them about it.

I'm kind of resigned to let it be right now. Apparently for some reason they're happy with it - we still have our cut we can use for promotional stuff, and they're ok, so let it roll. But my god I can't stand watching that thing.

SleepyC

www.AirHeadMedia.com
Dude you got paid? If so.. your good.
I have spots airing on LaBron James Commercials that I'm still waiting on payment for.
And at this point they could change the music, the color, the actual footage. my name or even my life and IDK.
PAY ME>

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
I am honestly still not sure what the fuss is about. Both videos were almost identical. This is a non-issue to me. You fly, hand over the footage, get paid and go fly again.

You have no control over how clients edit your footage, we are just cameraman. Your showreels and promotional material gives you the chance to show off your favorite scenes. :nevreness:

Dude you got paid? If so.. your good.
I have spots airing on LaBron James Commercials that I'm still waiting on payment for.
And at this point they could change the music, the color, the actual footage. my name or even my life and IDK.
PAY ME>

Stipulation number one:
1. Payment due at time of services rendered.

scotth

You would think, huh? Yet for some reason almost everyone I know in the production business sends an invoice after the product has been delivered. You can't buy anything else that way. And the further down the food chain you are, the longer it takes to get paid. Had a 'client' once whose payment terms weren't 30.. or 45... but 'pay when paid'. This was on a $15k nose mount, Ya.. don't think so.

The only ones I let get away with the 30, 45 or 60 day nonsense are big time clients like ESPN or NBC Sports... Just about everyone else is willing to comply. In my 25 years.. as I'm sure some of you have also experienced.. the number of times I've never been paid has now dictated that I get paid up front or within 10 days. I'll even offer a 10% discount to certain clients to make it easy. You have to handle everyone differently. If I held most of my commercial clients to the same standard as my live sports clients they probably wouldn't call me back.

Buzz_Roavr

I am honestly still not sure what the fuss is about. Both videos were almost identical. This is a non-issue to me. You fly, hand over the footage, get paid and go fly again.

You have no control over how clients edit your footage, we are just cameraman. Your showreels and promotional material gives you the chance to show off your favorite scenes. :nevreness:

I agree with Ben, if you don't like their cut don't use it for promo. Use you directors cut.

Getting paid is half the battle lol!

tombrown1

I see what you're saying Ben, and we are moving on without talking to them. We don't feel that they're identical at all - honestly it's mainly the music (though we hate the titling at the beginning and end also). I would say that quite possibly most of my time in post is done marrying the music to the footage. Finding the right track usually takes 3-4 hours, and then cutting the track down to 2 minutes and still making it sound good is another hour. Then cutting the clips so that they tell a story and go up and down with the music takes another several hours.

We're not trying to be strictly camera operators - we are trying to build a bit of a following for providing completed videos that they can simply upload to their site. We don't do this full time - we do it for some dough, sure, but we really enjoy the entire process of flying all the way through post. We find it very satisfying to create a finished product from beginning to end.

All right, enough crying from me - you guys are right, we got paid and should shut up and move on. That's what we'll do, just a little pissed that there's our footage out there presented really poorly.

Thanks for all the responses! You guys always help when I need to keep things real.

Best,

Tom

SamaraMedia

Tom, I liked your cut better, music in yours is better but as many have stated I would happy that the client was happy and you've already been paid for your excellent services. I understand your feelings to having your name attached to their edited version as well but so much of the industry, be it promotion, advertising, editorial is open to interpretation of which is better. With any luck other universities will enjoy what you did for this school and inquire about your availability in the future.

Weather here in CT sucks right now, wind was horrible that past two days, hope to get out there for a few more flights before the temps get too cold. You seem to have your gimbal dialed in pretty good, are you using a 32 bit AlexMos or 8 bit?

Maybe we can meet for coffee again sometime before the snow falls.

John

tombrown1

Thanks John! Using the 32-bit, though I couldn't tell much difference when I upgraded from 8-bit. Still using an OIS lens, which I really hate because the sun bubbles wobble when shooting into the sun. Love to get a better gimbal and not use OIS. I have the Photobotic Centerpiece in a box here - just need to get it installed.

Love to grab some coffee - drop me a message anytime!

TB

SamaraMedia

Recently purchased a TPacks gimbal for a new Lumix LX100 camera that Panasonic just released. It will shoot 4k, 1080, and has a 1.7-2.8 24-75 zoom lens built in, under 400 grams, figure it's a good setup from GoPro to hang under my hex. Since the gimbal is designed around the Phobotic Centerpiece and this particular camera I think I will go in that direction. AlexMos is still something I'm considering though.

Working a lot of PM shifts this month, I'll PM you for coffee.

deluge2

Ah, I wondered why the flare spots were moving like that, thanks for the explanation! And I agree, it is kind of distracting.

Steve

PS: On your primary dilemma, glad to see you're moving on. They're marketing to kids' parents, so let them have their own sound track...and they clearly wanted the big building with columns at the end!

<snip> Still using an OIS lens, which I really hate because the sun bubbles wobble when shooting into the sun. Love to get a better gimbal and not use OIS. <snip>

moominjuice

I do a lot of architectural work and I totally agree your video 'flows' far better. Music is more suited too.
All said and done you sometimes have to swallow your artistic pride. Some clients will think they're the next Spielberg or just want to stamp their mark on it as it's their cash.

My advice is to be very careful about berating clients on a public forum (it's not very professional)...or at least not until you've been paid lol!

Last edited by a moderator: