Client edited our vid and here it is

tombrown1

So we put together this for them:

https://vimeo.com/107619931

They requested the raw footage so they could have their video editor go at it and came up with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NUTStnzpF6Q

We're furious with the new edit. Maybe I'm just being over-sensitive because I put so much time (and music licensing $$$) into our cut, but my GODDDD - does anybody care about music anymore? Anybody??!!!!

So other universities are going to see this and maybe ask around who did the work - and they'll find us. Should I tell them we want a re-edit? Am I just going overboard here? I'm embarrassed this is online.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.....

Rant over

Old Man

Seems your client wants to market to the button down collar, tweed jacket with elbow pads, parental group that's still watching Leave it to Beaver.

dazzab

Seems your client wants to market to the button down collar, tweed jacket with elbow pads, parental group that's still watching Leave it to Beaver.
I agree. But remember, that's who pays for the product so it makes sense to market to them. This is a very interesting situation. So, did you contract to deliver a finished video or to supply aerial footage for them to do with what they want? It reminds me of the old days in photography when we sold only prints but not the negatives. If your client didn't like the original cut then why didn't they ask you to modify the video to their likes?

Ronan

I watched it muted so it's fine for me LOL!

Music now a day... meh... Leave it be mate. Client happy = your wallet happy = you happy :)

tombrown1

Contract was for a finished vid, but I also agreed to throw in all the raw footage and some photos to sweeten the pot.

These were the edits that were initially asked for after we submitted the Vimeo vid above:

Could you provide a quote for a re-edit to address the following:

· Add a title. (I would provide artwork).

· Get rid of the car driving in the ending shot.

· Change the music.

· Add footage of an additional playing field or two.

· When editing be sensitive to the difference in light and dark in the footage. Can they be made to look a bit more congruent? One shot in particular that she feels comes off too dark is the closing shot. Is there anything you can do with that? Perhaps not. Facing north, that sign never gets good sunlight light.

They ultimately decided to let their own guy do the edits, so they could look over his shoulder while he did it (we are 5 hours away).

Look, I admit I'm not an expert editor, but I've figured how to get around Premiere Pro a little bit, and think we put together a half-way decent video for them. And they were thrilled with what we did, so they are a happy client. It's just embarrassing knowing that video is out in the world and it can easily be linked to us by all of their academic competitors who might consider using us.

Should I write the guy and ask them politely (through gritted teeth) to please change the music or re-consider using our original cut? Or (be honest) is our original not even that good and the difference between the two is only minor?

Grrrrrrrrr..........

dazzab

Should I write the guy and ask them politely (through gritted teeth) to please change the music or re-consider using our original cut? Or (be honest) is our original not even that good and the difference between the two is only minor?
I'm not doing commercial work yet as I'm still navigating the requirements here in Australia so you are way ahead of me. I did work in commercial photography in the US for some time though. There's no doubt that your video is excellent. But at the end of the day, the job is to please the client. I don't think what they have done will hurt your referrals. I think future clients will be contacting you based on your ability to produce the footage. Your portfolio will do the rest of the talking if they are looking for a complete package and you don't have to include this in your portfolio if you don't like it. But I'd be most interested to hear what others think. Thanks for the post as it's very helpful to see what issues others go through with production issues.

I think either works fine. If their happy with their cut and you get paid.. So be it. Unless it's specified in a contract that you get content/final cut approval, I'd let it ride.

Old Man

Job done, client happy, bill paid...perfect. Happy clients bring more clients, don't make the client angry. Customer first.

Benjamin Kenobi

Easy? You call that easy?
Alas you have no control over your footage once you've given it to the client. Just hand it over and walk away. Sometimes they'll do a great job of it, sometimes not! Just celebrate the successes and forget (or learn from) the failures. :02.47-tranquillity:

I get it that the "Artist" in you is upset. That is how artist's get when critiqued or criticized but what is your artistry? Flying? Video? Musical director?
Art is in the eye of the beholder and no one sees everything alike. Obviously the "Art Director" in this case feels her expertise and opinion are more highly regarded, at least by her, then are yours.
Unless they bought all the rights, I'd return the money they gave you and I'd toss the final edit and the raw footage into that river.
That'll show them. They can't mess with an artist.

Actually, you should be happy you got paid and that the FAA isn't sending the Black Ops guys to confiscate your equipment for doing commercial work when they very explicitly told you not to.
I kind of agree with her on some views but I never did like shooting into direct sunlight.
They are not selling "sun", they are selling "school".

gtranquilla

RadioActive
tombrown,

IMHO Both look good and they only cut 11 seconds off yours to get their optimum within the 2 minute attention span allowance.
I suspect they are very happy with your work as are most of us.
Given an option, considering our very short flying season, I would try to sell raw video and contract the editing etc. out to others.

scotth

This is what clients do. Get used to it. The aerials are excellent, regardless. The real problem is that's ALL there is. If this is supposed to be a piece about the university where are the static ground shots, interiors, faces, etc?

Av8Chuck

Now for a slightly different take.

I'm assuming this is supposed to be a recruitment or informational video for that school. If that's the case both video's suck. Its a pretty campus, great aerial photography but there's no information about the school. Why would I want to attend? Where is it located? How much does it cost? What's it known for etc..

Are you mad yet? Don't take this the wrong way, if they hired you to do aerial videography then you did a great job. If they hired you to motivate potential students to add that school to their short list of schools they'd like to attend then you failed.

If they hired you for the aerial, smile, cash their check and encourage them to tell their friends. If they hired you to promote the school then cash the check and learn from this experience so you don't make the same mistake again. If they wanted a promotional video then they didn't know what they were doing. Clients often don't know what they're doing, they just have an idea of what they want and its the producers job to figure out how to give them what they need.

If this was intended to be a promotional/recruitment video then the majority of shots should have been on the ground, in classrooms, dorms, student union, showing all the amenities and fun activities, sports etc. The aerial should be used to add the overall perspective and inspiration.

Doing promotional work can be a lot of fun but its hard work and you always have to add or subtract parts that the client feels doesn't meet their objective. It sucks but they should have a goal, increase attendance, sales, views, etc., and if you increase that measure then you would have been successful and they will hire you again and speak lovingly about you to colleagues. If you just make a pretty video with cool music you probably won't get much work.

Now before everyone gets on my case because I do a ton of pretty aerial to cool music videos, those aren't for clients, they're just me practicing and sharing aerial, cinematography or editing so we can learn sorts of things...

tombrown1

Yeah, I'm getting used to it. It's not a complete video for the University they were looking for. They have many videos, this is more of a niche thing they wanted.
Really wanted to shoot another day to get a little higher quality final product but it wasn't in the budget.
Of all the problems in the video I didn't think they mentioned any of the obvious ones that catch my eye. The music? Not in the top 20 problems that video had.
Thanks for all the responses - I'm glad you guys talked me of the ledge of sending an email to the client.

tombrown1

Now for a slightly different take.

I'm assuming this is supposed to be a recruitment or informational video for that school. If that's the case both video's suck. Its a pretty campus, great aerial photography but there's no information about the school. Why would I want to attend? Where is it located? How much does it cost? What's it known for etc..

Are you mad yet? Don't take this the wrong way, if they hired you to do aerial videography then you did a great job. If they hired you to motivate potential students to add that school to their short list of schools they'd like to attend then you failed.

If they hired you for the aerial, smile, cash their check and encourage them to tell their friends. If they hired you to promote the school then cash the check and learn from this experience so you don't make the same mistake again. If they wanted a promotional video then they didn't know what they were doing. Clients often don't know what they're doing, they just have an idea of what they want and its the producers job to figure out how to give them what they need.

If this was intended to be a promotional/recruitment video then the majority of shots should have been on the ground, in classrooms, dorms, student union, showing all the amenities and fun activities, sports etc. The aerial should be used to add the overall perspective and inspiration.

Doing promotional work can be a lot of fun but its hard work and you always have to add or subtract parts that the client feels doesn't meet their objective. It sucks but they should have a goal, increase attendance, sales, views, etc., and if you increase that measure then you would have been successful and they will hire you again and speak lovingly about you to colleagues. If you just make a pretty video with cool music you probably won't get much work.

Now before everyone gets on my case because I do a ton of pretty aerial to cool music videos, those aren't for clients, they're just me practicing and sharing aerial, cinematography or editing so we can learn sorts of things...
Not mad at all! Thanks for the response.

They feel like prospective students want to know about the natural beauty of the campus. Again, this was never intended to be one video to describe everything about the University. Just shows its beauty, and I think succeeds at that. And they have raw footage to use as b roll for their all encompassing vids in the future.

Stratifier

Hi Tombrown1, Honestly I think you did a great job, and they ruined it! I watched their edit first, and by half of it I started looking if it was not soon finished... Their music is good too, but too pompous and heard a billion times on TV. Typical American program announcement.... very last century!
Your edit seemed shorter to me, even if it's a bit longer, your cuts on the beat give rhythm to the whole thing and you never get bored. I could add as well the harmony in your sequences (Except one IMO that I would have swapped with the next but each his own...) Your end is good for an end, but theirs, repeating the beginning is ridiculous and has no meaning at all, you can even say it's there because they ran out of ideas for the end.
In my opinion, and I had the case many times, you can never leave the customer directing the edit , it's always a failure. This is your job to convince them that they are not qualified to do it.
That said, your aerial work was great and even re-edited it still stands out and stays a nice demo of your skills.
My 2 cents. (pennies actually)
S.

Last edited by a moderator:

LeeT

Wannabe AP Dude
Maybe this is dumb question, but what did your contract stipulate? Maybe a point to consider in you next job.