Class specs?

eqmdef8

I've been looking into different class specs but can't seem to find if anyone has a universal set that's being accepted. Currently working with a group of people in Maryland to setup some fpv racing. I'm thinking 3 classes.
1st would be a 220mm-280mm 3s 5" prop
2nd would be a 220-280mm 3s 6" prop
And 3rd would be an unlimited class but probably maintain the size requirement of 220-280mm.
Any input would be helpful, or if anyone can point me in the direction of an already accepted set.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
If YouTube hadn't eaten it whole, I would have pointed you toward our Drone Radio Live web cast archive from last night. We discussed this very topic in some length.

What I have found is that the rules are evolving, and being such a new sport/activity, nothing seems concretely nailed down. The one basic class that most seem to be able to agree upon is the 250mm frame, 3S/4S battery and 5" prop. Even this class has some variables within certain groups.

We will be trying to nail this down in the very near future - and provide the forum with some solid info.

In the meantime, @Bartman would probably be happy to start a sub-forum for you to allow for a meeting place for your group - where you can meet To discuss the rules, upcoming events etc.

eqmdef8

We do already have a sub setup, I'm with MMR. Thanks for the information and I look forward to any updates.
Personally though, I feel there should be a separation on battery size and prop size, as speed is equally effected by both.

Bartman

Welcome to MultiRotorForums.com!!
We do already have a sub setup, I'm with MMR

images

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
Sorry, I missed the sub-forum. Glad you already have that sorted out :)

There is definitely talk of breaking down classes into many sub-categories, based on: batteries, prop size, frame size (and other features as well). But there also seems to be some push-back by pilots to keep the classes more simple, many feeling that it will shake out in the end when the pilots with the best/fastest race results will help determine "what works best."

In other words, a few simple classes may rise to the top when the results start to trickle in based on a few dominant, winning combinations.

eqmdef8

Indeed. I view it like auto racing classes. You typically have 3 classes. Stock, light modified, and unlimited. Within each class is enough room to have some variances to prevent everyone from racing the exact same thing. Getting classes to specific(ie classes based on prop pitch) would become to limiting and cause smaller races. By separating by the factor of battery and prop for each class, you keep enough wiggle room in each class to have fun, while still allowing competitive racing.

Motopreserve

Drone Enthusiast
And the open class keep everyone happy - so that just about everyone can race on the day of the event - even if the points dont end up going toward an accumulated standing.