Cinestar brushless pan axis mod?

We have had brushless running on our roll and tilt axis. We need to get it going on the pan axis. I'm leaning toward a brushless setup on the pan axis that uses a belt and the existing pan gear.

Any recommendations for a brushless pan axis mod for a Cinestar gimbal? Need something quick! Thanks for any recommendations!

All the best,
Ben

The second one looks like a good option. Some say that belt driven brushless is a good way to go for the pan axis to give it a bit more torque. Thoughts?

Ben,

I am using this:

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/pro...17-8108-GB85-motor-use/109347_1381461018.html

It works well and is priced great. I have the rctimer 8107 on the pan and roll, dual 5106's in the tilt.

We have had brushless running on our roll and tilt axis. We need to get it going on the pan axis. I'm leaning toward a brushless setup on the pan axis that uses a belt and the existing pan gear.

Any recommendations for a brushless pan axis mod for a Cinestar gimbal? Need something quick! Thanks for any recommendations!

All the best,
Ben

Get a 32t pulley for the motor. I'm using the 5108 120t motor and put a longer 5mm shaft in and was able to get a reducer to match the 5mm haft to the 1/4" hole of the 32t pulley. Works well. Or use a 6mm prop adapter like is on the tilt and get a 6mm to 1/4" reducer. Then just make a plate to mount the motor on and use the servo holder from the old pan servo so you can adjust the belt tension. I am not at home, but can send a link to the parts later.

SDP/SI Part numbers:
A 6A16-032DF3708 for the 32t pulley
A 7A30-250509 for the 5mm to .25" sleeve.
there is also a 6mm t0 .25" sleeve as well.

NOTE: SDP/SI has a horrible shipping price policy! Way overpriced for small parts. 2 pulleys, 2 sleeves and 2 bearings cost over $17 to ship and they took over a week to get to me (in the US) and they fit in the palm of my hand. I've spoken to them about it, and they say they get tons of complaints but unwiling to change their policy. If anyone has a better source, let me know. I wanted to exchange the sleeves for the 6mm version and it would have cost $17 plus my cost to ship mine back.

Last edited by a moderator:

yeehaanow

I fashioned a plate that screws underneath the leg support tubes and bolted a motor directly to it. I did have to make a custom adapter to fit the gear to the motor though.

If I could do it all over again, I would probably get one of the bigger direct drive motors instead of a belt. I have never found the tuning to be as easy as when there's a belt involved. Too hard to get it to be fast enough on the small movements without oscillating.