Cheap 5D gimbal

Sebas600

Got my new gimbal today and would like to show it because it's relative cheap and look very well made.
Testing is going to take a while, just crashed this morning for the first time with the F550

This is the guy selling http://ebay.com ---- cnc-kreativ

- Delivery took for ever
- Bad communication from the seller
- Picture shows Savöx servo's but Hitec HS-645MG is in the text and delivery
- Gears in picture are black but white is delivered
- No external pot meter
- Not all nuts are self locking and or cheap versions, same for the bolts
- Incorrect weight posted on ebay

+ Relative cheap for this pice of craftsmanship (€340,00)
+ Very well made CNC parts
+ Weight is 507 grams (lighter than AV200 and Cinestar gimbal)
+ Feels very solid

All in all a great buy I think, even with the - points.
Hoping to test it somewhere in the next two weeks.

View attachment 4166View attachment 4167View attachment 4168View attachment 4169View attachment 4170View attachment 4171View attachment 4172View attachment 4173View attachment 4174

Attachments

• IMG_7215.jpg
    IMG_7215.jpg
    145 KB · Views: 587
  • IMG_7216.jpg
    IMG_7216.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 483
  • IMG_7217.jpg
    IMG_7217.jpg
    131.7 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_7218.jpg
    IMG_7218.jpg
    137.9 KB · Views: 551
  • IMG_7219.jpg
    IMG_7219.jpg
    132.7 KB · Views: 498
  • IMG_7220.jpg
    IMG_7220.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 444
  • IMG_7221.jpg
    IMG_7221.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 403
  • IMG_7222.jpg
    IMG_7222.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 369
  • IMG_7223.jpg
    IMG_7223.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 437
Last edited by a moderator:

ovdt

Sebas,

It would be great to read your experience about the on board video with this mount. I might consider buying it even.

anaka

Hi Sebas600
very interesting gimbal, good price and good weight, I can't waith to read your impressions once you tested in flight

abouth the tilt and roll, to have no external pot is not so bad, the only problem is that the range of rotation is really short, can you measure how many degrees you have for each axis?

Sebas600

Rotation is good. almost 90 degrees on the pitch and 45-50 on the roll.

The gears are well selected for the job, but could have been flattened to save weight.
External pot meters makes shifting the setup for pitch way more easy, just twist the potmeter. now I have to take the belt off.

Will fly next week.

anaka

wow that's good range anyway
one more question, do it has ballbearings? by the pictures it looks don't

Sebas600

Yes ik has ballbarings. 2 for roll and 4 for pitch.
They are placed inside the 6mm POM
But one on the roll isn't fitting well. Going to fix that.
The rest fits very well. No play at all. (is play the correct word for this?)

ovdt

Sebas, can you please also make a video about its physical strenght? About the angles and the stiffness. Thanks

Sebas600

Will do that later. found that the front bracket of the roll has play in it and mailed the seller to see if he will help me out.

apejovic

Hi all, I have found this forum searching for somebody with this same Gimbal, I have just bought.

I will, shortly introduce myself:

I live in the Canary Islands and I build multicopters for AP. You can see some of my works/tests on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/supermotoalex/videos

I
´m setting up this Gimbal on my ConnOcto octocopter. It still needs some tuning but I hope it should be ready for a real live test in a few days. Overall it looks really well designed (see attached photos) but has some problems I´m trying to fix.

It´s design is very similar to the Cinestar, that´s why I thought that it would have the possibility to be adaptable so I can always get the perfect COG for my different cameras (like explained in this video http://youtu.be/O127rDKCjd8 ) but unfortunately they have put a screw going trough the roll tube, making it impossible. Sebas I think we should modify that.

The 90º pitch in my opinion is not enough, I really dond understand why didn´t they use 360 servos on it.

I´m having huge problems choosing a stabilization system for it, as all my existing ones when connected to the provided hitec 645MG servos only move them at half of it´s movement. I also expected to get the gimbal with the illustrated Savox servos (when ordered there was no text about the hitecs provided) , and I´m quite disappointed with these hitecs. I did get the stabilization system to work with them using a travel of 400-2200 instead of the common 1020-1950 I use, but I also need to have manual control over the pitch, and none of my TX is able of moving it trough all it´s range, I see hitec does sell a device for that http://servocity.com/html/180o_servo_stretcher.html but I´m afraid that the first thing to be done on this gimbal is putting a better pitch servo.

Sebas: please keep me informed about your experience with it, I will probably fly it in a few days, and will post the results.

Attachments

• la foto 1 copia.jpg
    la foto 1 copia.jpg
    145.1 KB · Views: 409
  • la foto 2 copia.jpg
    la foto 2 copia.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 387
  • la foto 3 copia.jpg
    la foto 3 copia.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 362

anaka

Hi apejovic and sabas600

after several experiments whit other gimbals i can tell you that puttin an eye on the one you bought it is possible to improve quality, che pulley belt way creates more problems than improvements, especially when you go to stabilize it.

If you want I can open a thread and talk in depht abouth my study.

Sebas600

Hello guys,

I was thinking on putting continuos servos and external pot meter on it.

Only thing is I have on idea on what servo and pot meter... So any help on improving is very welcome.

I've just put a 6,5 V bed on the servo's and think they don't like that at all.

anaka

honestly i think you should avoid to modify the servo
you should try use the servo direct drive way, leave it as it is now, just use a push and pull system and let's see how good it behaves
if you're still not happy can go for faster servo
this should work for sure

anaka

hi bowley, this is what I mean for push&pull setup, it is very common in helicopters and i'm sure it's the best and cheapest way to improve this new gimbal
for even better results i suggest to use aluminium shafts and metallic joints, this helps to reduce "plays" in the structure

View attachment 4320View attachment 4319

the mc6500 looks very close to this solution but unfortunately it looks very light, the components look very thin so i suspect that it has not enough stability, it could produce vibrations and obscilations in windy conditions for instance, obviously i'm basing my opinion only on the picture in your link, i never had one MC6500

Attachments

• 600ESC_07.jpg
    600ESC_07.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 418
  • Servo_direzionale.JPG
    Servo_direzionale.JPG
    135.3 KB · Views: 423

Sebas600

Sticking with the belt driven. just need external pot meters. direct drive has low resolution. all good gimbals have belt or cog drive combined with external pot meters to up the resolution.

thanks for your idea but I'm going to stick with mine.